Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Default Remington 7615 30-rd magazines?

Are 30-rd magazine available in Canada for this rifle?

If they were I might be interested. No magazine limit for manually operated rifles...but I believe this rifle uses AR magazines.

Legal?

I don't now if 30-rd magazines are produced specifically for this rifle.

Interesting though. Quite popular in Australia.

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:10 PM

A quick search on Wikipedia and I found that the 7615 is a model 7600 with a shorter barrel and different sights. Also found that it does use AR style magazines, so you would be able to find 30 round magazines, but they would be pinned to 5 rounds. Don't think you could un-pin it as that would make it prohibited.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
A quick search on Wikipedia and I found that the 7615 is a model 7600 with a shorter barrel and different sights. Also found that it does use AR style magazines, so you would be able to find 30 round magazines, but they would be pinned to 5 rounds. Don't think you could un-pin it as that would make it prohibited.
Yes, but if there was a magazine produced specifically for this rifle then I believe it would be legal.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
Yes, but if there was a magazine produced specifically for this rifle then I believe it would be legal.
I think that is right, but from what I found in the little research I did, is that they are designed to use the AR style magazines. Might be tough to prove that your high capacity AR style mag is specifically for the 7615 to the courts.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:23 PM

There would have to be a mechanism in the magazines to prevent them from being used in an AR, and therefore a corresponding variance in the 7615. You could however probably do just fine with the 10-round LAR pistol magazines. Don't ask me why those are legal, very little of this legislation bears any resemblance to being logical. I have a few of the LAR magazines myself, they're easy to come by, but do tend to sell out fast.

This thread should be in Guns & Ammo section instead of General Discussion though.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 PM

No, it's illegal, I just found out.

Limited to 5.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM

If it is specifically marked for a particular application from the manufacturer, it may be overlooked and therefore, be a legal apparatus to own. As is the case with the LAR pistol mags.

If remington made a mag that was tagged 7615, then it would have to go to the RCMP to decide if they would allow it.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
If it is specifically marked for a particular application from the manufacturer, it may be overlooked and therefore, be a legal apparatus to own. As is the case with the LAR pistol mags.

If remington made a mag that was tagged 7615, then it would have to go to the RCMP to decide if they would allow it.
I quote:

Quote:
Canadian Firearms Registry
Canada Firearms Centre
50 O’Connor St., 10th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1M6

Registre canadien des armes à feu
Centre des armes à feu Canada
50, rue O’Connor, 10ième étage
Ottawa (Ontario) K1A 1M6

Mr. XXX
Friday, May 05, 2006

Mr. XXX

Thank you for your recent request with regard to using Remington 7615P magazines in semi-automatic rifles within Canada.
In your correspondence, you partially quoted the Criminal Code Part III, S. 84 Part 4 Prohibited Devices, Former Cartridge Magazine Control Regulations which states the prohibited device as:
Any cartridge magazine that is capable of containing more than five cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in
a. A semi-automatic handgun that is not commonly available in Canada,
b. A semi-automatic firearm other that a semi-automatic handgun.
The Remington 7615P rifle, in calibre .223 Remington/ 5.56 NATO utilizes a magazine well adapter, which specifically permits the use of M16/AR15 style magazines, and is promoted by Remington as having this capability. Therefore, the magazine is subject to the five (5) round limits as applied to semi-automatic rifles, despite being deployed in a pump rifle within Canada.
Further, the existence of a magazine of the type used in the M16/AR15, and now the Remington 7615P, with a capability of containing more than five (5) rounds in Canada is in direct contravention to the Criminal Code.
In direct response to your inquiry about the legality of using a thirty (30) round magazine intended for use in the Remington 7615P in the M16/AR15 semi-auto rifle, I am obliged to inform you that is contrary to the Criminal Code for the reasons explained above.
Trusting this response discloses the information required in denying your request, I remain
Sincerely,

George Fraser
A/Manager
Firearms Technical Analysis Section
Canadian Firearms Registry
Tel (613) 993-0038
Fax (877)699-4928
Email: george.fraser@cfc-cafc.gc.ca

Old 06-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Oops
Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Oops
Ha-ha!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
Ha-ha!
Lol I should have read the ENTIRE response before posting.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Banned

Hmmm, so can the 10 round LAR pistol mags be used in the 7615?? I don't think they existed in 2006. Man, these laws in this country are so ridiculous. You almost need to be a lawyer to be sure you're not in contravention of something.

Looks like they can: https://shopquestar.com/shopping65/s...e=Mag%20Ruling

Last edited by rugatika; 11-25-2012 at 12:20 PM.