Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Default Homestead "Public Rifle" Range Closed for the next few weeks

Alberta Provincial Rifle Association (“A.P.R.A.”) "Public Rifle" Homestead Range

Will be closed Tuesday July 5th, 2011 - for the next few weeks as we build berms and new range access road.

Thanks for understanding - see the WEBSITE for the time when it will re-opened at www.albertarifle.com

Cheers
Joe B

Map to the range is at: http://www.albertarifle.com/homestead.htm

HOMESTEAD RANGE

This facility is located in the foothills of the Rockies, 45 minutes west of Calgary.

#AB-348-R: Sibbald Flats Public rifle range : Allows for the use and discharge of rifles contained in the .22 Long Rifle, .223 Remington, .308 Winchester and .338 Lapua Magnum templates groups. The use and discharge of handguns and shotgun on this range is not permitted.

The Homestead Shooting Centre - "Public Area"

No Handguns or Restricted Firearms
Nothing larger than .338LP which excludes .50 BMG
Paper Targets only
Everything you bring into and onto the range must be taken out when you leave
(includes paper targets)
Shotguns only at the shotgun facility
No shotguns to be used on the rifle range
Contact numbers for the APRA are listed under each individual club's information
Contact Cochrane RCMP for emergency at 911
Those individuals found ignoring the rules or causing damage will be reported to the RCMP and CFO as necessary.
Persons found ignoring the rules or acting in an unsafe manner will be requested to leave and charges may be laid.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Default Template groups

Someone asked me about the Template groups. Please see the pages about page 120 in the following:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i...constr-eng.pdf
Old 07-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Is it going to remain as a 200 yard range or will the be increasing the distance?
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 PM

I heard it will become a 100 yard only, range now.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
I heard it will become a 100 yard only, range now.
Yes the RANGE approval /Template is for 100 Meters. It was never was a 200 Meter range

Cheers
Old 07-15-2011, 08:50 AM

Default Savage Day at APRA Homestead Range Complex

Dear Members of the Outdoors Men Forum,

As thanks for helping out with the cleanup of the PUBLIC Range at the Homestead shooting complex, I would like to invite you to the Savage Day at APRA Homestead Range Complex. The static display will be up at the Homestead 900 Meter Club House – Testing of the firearms will be on the 100 Meter APRA Public range. The PUBLIC range is still closed to the General Public .. but open to the APRA Membership this Saturday for the Savage Day Event.

We still have a few more days of construction on the ranges.

Cheers
Joe B

Old 07-15-2011, 05:28 PM

Berms not required. However, decent concrete-on-concrete shooting tables are necessary AND a shooting direction is needed where you don't get afternoon sun directly into your eyes in winter. A grassy prone area would be nice too.

Furthermore, a decent heavy-steel, match-lit incinerator with spark arrestor smokestack at the corner of the range at the end of the firing line would be a good idea.

Not to mention secure solar-powered CCTV of the parking lot (license plate resolvable) and of the firing line.

= you're welcome =
Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
Furthermore, a decent heavy-steel, match-lit incinerator with spark arrestor smokestack at the corner of the range at the end of the firing line would be a good idea.

Not to mention secure solar-powered CCTV of the parking lot (license plate resolvable) and of the firing line.

= you're welcome =
It's an unmonitored public range, an element of users have no vested interest, many don't even bring targets, as in the past anything put out there becomes a target. Cameras, how long do you think those things would last before they are all shot to smithereens?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:09 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I was going to go tomorrow if the wind allowed it, I have never been their.

Went to their website and i guess since people didn't care it was a bit of a dump. But looks like they did a clean up and it looks awesome.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
Berms not required. However, decent concrete-on-concrete shooting tables are necessary AND a shooting direction is needed where you don't get afternoon sun directly into your eyes in winter. A grassy prone area would be nice too.

= you're welcome =
"You're welcome"? You mean, you're paying for all of this at a range set aside for the public to use at no charge? You sir are a true hero amongst men, most folks just spout mindless opinions without giving much thought to them. But you really make a difference. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
"You're welcome"? You mean, you're paying for all of this at a range set aside for the public to use at no charge? You sir are a true hero amongst men, most folks just spout mindless opinions without giving much thought to them. But you really make a difference. Thank you.
Hey, glad to be of assistance. Again.

You may be curious to know where the idea of the incinerator came from. It was after 3 months of hauling approx a half ton of abandoned shot-up combustibles over to be burned, a couple years before the last big communal cleanup.

Some people still believe in donating time & materials to causes or hobbies. If the cry goes out for a half-dozen concrete benches, there's a good chance a handful of people will chip in for forms, cement, gravel etc so that one or two people will set up something good over a summer. (Some people just like building things). But it's also a political thing which has to be generally vetted and supported regardless who likes to do the work.

That requires attention to be brought to the cause front and center, to compete with the TV droning in the background or the general ongoing accumulation of mindless mortgage debt to buy all the junk people seem to need nowadays.

Moreover, If berms and access roads are being considered for whatever reason, we're talking heavy equipment now. If that's the case, the intelligent thing to do is revisit the orientation of the range to get rid of the winter sun problem.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It's an unmonitored public range, an element of users have no vested interest, many don't even bring targets, as in the past anything put out there becomes a target. Cameras, how long do you think those things would last before they are all shot to smithereens?
Exactly. I've never heard of anyone walking out there all the way from Calgary (or riding a horse all the way from Springbank). Anyone shooting anything not meant to be shot will have a plate number associated with them in some way. That's where enforcement starts.

Security cams can be set up in all sorts of strategic ways to mitigate attacks on the instruments themselves. Decoys, armoring, camo, etc. Big-time CCTV surveillance has been going on for over a quarter century, most notably in Britain. Techniques have long since been invented to deal with it. Tampering or outright attacks will most likely be recorded.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 AM

In my opinion, the range isn't worth the effort. Or the fuel to drive out there. It's one of many "public" ranges I've been to over the years, and is without a doubt the worst. The one time I was in there, I actually had the fortunate chance to witness one person firing from the line, while another guy was setting a target. Now granted target guy was well to the right of where shooter guy was aiming, so not really an issue I was glad I had not bothered dragging the riffle and spotting scope in with me from the parking lot, it made it much quicker to get myself the hell out of there. Never will I ever return. It's only a matter of time before somebody is seriously injured or killed out there.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:17 PM

The place is a free for all.

It's mandate came from the Prov. Govt. Because APRA is a private club, and the only way the Govt would allow APRA their private range to exist was if they provided at the APRA's cost an open public range.

Now APRA members in effect pay for the gong show at Homestead. In order for all the stuff a lot of folks who seem to know what is needed speak of, has to come from the APRA members.

I think dreaming of security cameras, and incinerators is likely not ever going to happen, unless say someone ponies up the cash for it other than APRA emebers.

I wonder out loud who made all the noise which forced APRA to provide the public range? Maybe those folks should do a bit of fund raising, or grant applying to make it a better place.

I also wonder out loud what will become of the public Homestead range, when the CFO's Range Inspector mandates that a trained RSO's be present at every range while the range is live and active? (oh yes, that goody is coming down the track)

I also have to give a good chuckle to those who think the executive of shooting ranges have such an easy job...Usually these vocal folks do nothing and ask for everything. To those folks I have but one thing to say.

Put you muscles and time where your yap is.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I also have to give a good chuckle to those who think the executive of shooting ranges have such an easy job...Usually these vocal folks do nothing and ask for everything. To those folks I have but one thing to say.

Put you muscles and time where your yap is.
Why, that sounds a lot like our archery club, where I have had the pleasure of dedicating much time, energy, skill and material as a member of the executive, so I can listen to those 'yaps' you speak of.....thankless work, but it seems to be a consistent pattern at least...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 PM

I was out there today, lots of cool stuff being done. Got to shoot some tasty new Savage rifles, thanx Joe and Savage.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The place is a free for all.

It's mandate came from the Prov. Govt. Because APRA is a private club, and the only way the Govt would allow APRA their private range to exist was if they provided at the APRA's cost an open public range.
Are you *sure* about that direction from the Prov. Govt?

That doesn't sound right.

Virtually all of the AFGA ranges are open to members only, and I know they do not *have* to let public in.

What is the difference?

I have trouble believing that the direction if any came from the Prov. Govt.

Can you expand on that?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Are you *sure* about that direction from the Prov. Govt?

That doesn't sound right.

Virtually all of the AFGA ranges are open to members only, and I know they do not *have* to let public in.

What is the difference?

I have trouble believing that the direction if any came from the Prov. Govt.

Can you expand on that?
I believe Dick is right... it has something to do with the range being on crown land and the lease agreement with the club.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:32 PM

HOMESTEAD RANGE

This facility is located in the foothills of the Rockies, 45 minutes west of Calgary. It contains a 900 meter range, a 300 meter range, a Smallbore Silhouette range, a High Power Silhouette Range, a 100, 200 & 300 meter Bench rest range and has a 50 meter pistol range.

#AB-272-R: Sibbald Flats 900 metre rifle range = Allows for the use and discharge of rifles contained in the .22 Long Rifle, .223 Remington, .308 Winchester and .338 Lapua Magnum template groups. The use and discharge of handguns or shotguns on this range is not permitted.

#AB-273-R: Sibbald Flats 300 metre Swiss rifle range = Allows for the use and discharge of rifles contained in the .22 Long Rifle, .223 Remington, 308 Winchester and .338 Lapua Magnum template groups. The use and discharge of handguns or shotguns on this range is not permitted.

#AB-285-R: Sibbald Flats 50 metre handgun range: Allows for the use and discharge of handguns contained in the .22 Long Rifle, 9mm Parabellum and .357 S&W Magnum template groups and the use and discharge of .17 and .22 calibre rim fire rifles. (Shotguns may be discharged in a horizontal position only and only by authorized groups). The use and discharge centre fire rifles is not permitted.

#AB-345-R: Sibbald Flats 300 metre rifle range = Allows for the use and discharge of rifles contained in the .22 Long Rifle, .223 Remington, 308 Winchester and .338 Lapua Magnum template groups. The use and discharge of handguns and shotguns on this range is not permitted.

#AB-346-R: Sibbald Flats 500 metre Silhouette rifle range = Allows for the use and discharge of rifles contained in the .22 Long Rifle, .223 Remington, .308 Winchester and .338 Lapua Magnum template groups. The use and discharge of handguns and shotguns on the range is not permitted.

#AB-347-R: Sibbald Flats Trap range = Allows for use and discharge of shotguns for the purpose of Trap shooting. The use and discharge of handguns and rifles on this range is not permitted.

#AB-348-R: Sibbald Flats Public rifle range : Allows for the use and discharge of rifles contained in the .22 Long Rifle, .223 Remington, .308 Winchester and .338 Lapua Magnum templates groups. The use and discharge of handguns and shotgun on this range is not permitted.

#AB-349-R: Sibbald Flats Public Trap range : Allows for the use and discharge of shotguns for the purpose of trap shooting. The use and discharge of handguns and rifles at this range is not permitted.

Special notes re: the “public” range

This range is owned and maintained as a courtesy to the general public by the Alberta Provincial Rifle Association. We are a PRIVATE organization made up of volunteers. Your assistance in maintaining the range in a neat order is appreciated. If you see anyone abusing the facility, record the time, date and license number and report it to either the A.P.R.A. or the RCMP.

Please follow the basic rules listed below:

The Homestead Shooting Centre - "Public Area"

No Handguns or Restricted/Prohibited Firearms
Nothing larger than .338LP - SO NO .50 BMG
Paper Targets only
Everything you bring into and onto the range must be taken out when you leave
(includes paper targets)
Shotguns only at the shotgun facility
No shotguns to be used on the rifle range
Contact numbers for the APRA are listed under each individual club's information
Contact Cochrane RCMP for emergency at 911
Those individuals found ignoring the rules or causing damage will be reported to the RCMP and CFO as necessary.
Persons found ignoring the rules or acting in an unsafe manner will be requested to leave and charges may be laid.

http://albertarifle.com/homestead.htm
Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 PM

Our range is open on several occasions to the public, and it was actually a misconception that we had to have it open on Sundays as well.
After looking into the situation and reading our constitution, it was realized that some of us were right all along.
We do in fact have the range open through the year for several events, (one is a week long) so the range does not have to be "open " .
if a member wants to bring a guest , that is fine.....
Cat
Old 07-16-2011, 10:44 PM

You know what really drives me nuts is that I have to shoot at the public range with all of the morons who are shooting propane tanks, and frying pans and other assorted junk that they seem to feel the need to shoot full of holes, not to mention all the other unsafe acts I have seen there. All I want to do is be able to join a Rifle range that is within a reasonable traveling distance from where I live, but I cant because they are either shut down or closed to new members. Would anybody take a kidney in trade for a membership to the rosebud sillouette and benchrest club???
Old 07-16-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
You know what really drives me nuts is that I have to shoot at the public range with all of the morons who are shooting propane tanks, and frying pans and other assorted junk that they seem to feel the need to shoot full of holes, not to mention all the other unsafe acts I have seen there. All I want to do is be able to join a Rifle range that is within a reasonable traveling distance from where I live, but I cant because they are either shut down or closed to new members. Would anybody take a kidney in trade for a membership to the rosebud sillouette and benchrest club???
I hear you on that I wonder if when the lease was signed if it was know the clubs we become a closed organization not allowing new members?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
I hear you on that I wonder if when the lease was signed if it was know the clubs we become a closed organization not allowing new members?
Yes. It was and is a private club right from the start. As part of the lease agreement the APRA had to construct a no cost range for the general public to use. The vast majority of gun clubs are private ranges, subject to the bylaws and rules voted upon by the members which can also limit the number of members.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
In my opinion, the range isn't worth the effort. Or the fuel to drive out there. It's one of many "public" ranges I've been to over the years, and is without a doubt the worst. The one time I was in there, I actually had the fortunate chance to witness one person firing from the line, while another guy was setting a target. Now granted target guy was well to the right of where shooter guy was aiming, so not really an issue I was glad I had not bothered dragging the riffle and spotting scope in with me from the parking lot, it made it much quicker to get myself the hell out of there. Never will I ever return. It's only a matter of time before somebody is seriously injured or killed out there.
You know, unless something is done to smarten things up, out there, I see another closing coming about. We, as shooters, can't afford that.

Grizz
Old 07-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Something is being done, go out there and see for yourselves. 20 years ago I remember people whining about ****ed-up behaviour at the the freebie range. Never heard about anyone being killed or maimed so leave the hysteria to wind bag kookier et al and let's get on with reality.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
X2

Gimme a place to work on my shooting with other safe, courteous serious shooters. I'll gladly pay to avoid the gunpowder circus.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Something is being done, go out there and see for yourselves. 20 years ago I remember people whining about ****ed-up behaviour at the the freebie range. Never heard about anyone being killed or maimed so leave the hysteria to wind bag kookier et al and let's get on with reality.
Someone half shot their leg off there a couple months back reportedly clearing a jam from their shotgun. I've had people start walking downrange without saying anything while I was still shooting. Another guy let one rip with a 7mm RM while some people were standing ahead of the firing line and no one had eyes or ears on. And that's just since April. That's reality.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM

As far as I'm concerned, you cant be shy or polite when dealing with firearms.

When people are standing or walking where they arent supposed to be, they need to be told ASAP.

On more than one occassion I've had to tell people to smarten up and pay attention.

I dont care if you just want to pick up a piece of brass infront of the firing line. When we're shooting. Leave the brass alone.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 07-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post
As far as I'm concerned, you cant be shy or polite when dealing with firearms.

When people are standing or walking where they arent supposed to be, they need to be told ASAP.

On more than one occassion I've had to tell people to smarten up and pay attention.

I dont care if you just want to pick up a piece of brass infront of the firing line. When we're shooting. Leave the brass alone.

You need a Gun Range Nazi.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 PM

anyone hear is this range is ready to use????

CN