Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM

Exclamation Hiker seeking advise about trap lines

In light of the story that hit the media about a hikers dog being strangled in a trap line, up on Powderface trail. The media has not really released much info of course, and me being a resident of K country with my dogs, I am little freaked out. I am a local, and as all locals do, we hike with our dogs off lead all over the back country. I don't want this to be a peeing match about leashing or not leashing dogs, or if trappers are horrible human beings...

What I do want to know, is how to educate myself on knowing where trap lines are and how to check to avoid them. I was not aware that trapping was allowed to be honest, and that was already a shock to me. Is it normal for trap lines to be laid so close to busy hiking trails?

Also, if my worst nightmare unfolded before me... how do I get my dog out of a snare? Is there a tool I should carry along just in case? Are my dogs dead meat if they get snared? I am certain this would never happen, but because I know nothing about trapping, I am freaked out.

I live in K country, so I encounter grizzlies, black bears and bountiful amounts of cougars very regularly with my dogs. I know how to deal with these situations and my dogs are trained to stick beside me in these situation... of course I have the bear spray and hunting knife... which gives you a false sense of security in case poop hits the fan.

Sorry to be asking questions in this fashion, but I figured it would be best to hear from trappers in this situation.

Thanks very much for any info and insight to help myself and other hikers that reside in my area.

Diana
Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM

snares are made of aircraft cable, not sure what would be best used to cut cable. A tool similiar to sidecutters.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM

I guess I should post a link to the story...

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber...-16441666.html
Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Talk to your local Fish and Wildlife office about where there are traplines in your area. Fish and Wildlife, in my opinion, should be warning people about traplines in the K country better. It was very tragic what happened to the dog and could have been handled better by all parties.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Again, the media makes things way worse then they actually are. I would never leave my dogs under any circumstance. From reading the story, it sounds like the cable would not come off the dead dog and bolt cutters had to be used. So I guess in most cases the trapper has to come shoot the animal that is snared right? I am just concerned about not being able to free my dogs, if something happened and watch them die a horrible death.

With a trap line so close to trails I would worry about coming across an injured upset live animal, or a predator feeding on one that is trapped. I just assumed all the multi use hiking trails would be off limits to trapping. I guess you learn something new every day.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Diana, traplines don't need to scare you. If, worst case seniro, one of your dogs did ever walk into a snare, the first thing to rember is to keep it calmb. As long as your dog does not panic and throw his wieght into the cable he can't hurt himself, no need to cut the cable just work the little catch with your hand and he's free to go. Dave
Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave35 View Post
Diana, traplines don't need to scare you. If, worst case seniro, one of your dogs did ever walk into a snare, the first thing to rember is to keep it calmb. As long as your dog does not panic and throw his wieght into the cable he can't hurt himself, no need to cut the cable just work the little catch with your hand and he's free to go. Dave
Thanks Dave... this is really good to know.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
snares are made of aircraft cable, not sure what would be best used to cut cable. A tool similiar to sidecutters.
How do you get an animal out of a snare yourself? Is the snare designed to kill them quickly, where there would be little or no chance of saving my dogs? Do you ever come across live animals in snares? I apologize for the questions, but this is the first time I have been fearful of anything out in K country. I would rather know the hard truth, rather then it be sugar coated.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 PM

If you are with your dogs and dont leave them, like the people in the story did overnight there will be very minimal harm to your dog. a snare is a piece of cable, not a foot clamp trap (whatever they are called), that will wrap around the animal and tighten as it tries to run.I am not a trapper but im sure im on the right track. If this happened you would simply have to loosen the wire from around them.
Closed Thread