Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynick View Post
Ya, no so fast. Sorry sir, yes we know those names and they are in our system but we cant go there(coming from the rcmp). Why and what gives reserves the ability to have law enforcement not do anything?
Even the cops are scared to head into the sunchild/O'chiese
Old 11-30-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
So your friends were doing something illegal, they got caught, and you say they aren't doing their job?? lol.

You do know they aren't allowed to give chase, right? You can thank the "powers that be", not the RCMP.
Giving out a $2500 for driving a quad in the ditch or a sled in a farmer's field isn't really protecting the public, it's going after the low hanging fruit. Doing their job would be arresting the cracked out losers that are breaking into everyone's houses around here. If it's a lack of resources, leave the guy riding in the ditch alone and spend the resources on the thieves instead.

I didn't know that they can't give chase. If an RCMP officer can't use force to stop three thieves in a stolen UTV, that's a problem. If I'm out on a quad that isn't insured and the law attempts to pull me over, I'll be sure to pull my hat over my face and keep on trucking.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-30-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Giving out a $2500 for driving a quad in the ditch or a sled in a farmer's field isn't really protecting the public, it's going after the low hanging fruit. Doing their job would be arresting the cracked out losers that are breaking into everyone's houses around here. If it's a lack of resources, leave the guy riding in the ditch alone and spend the resources on the thieves instead.

I didn't know that they can't give chase. If an RCMP officer can't use force to stop three thieves in a stolen UTV, that's a problem. If I'm out on a quad that isn't insured and the law attempts to pull me over, I'll be sure to pull my hat over my face and keep on trucking.
X2
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I guess you need to open your eyes to what the LEO's do then. Upholding the law is a much larger part of what they do.

For one, driving (even an atv) w/o insurance on public roads (yes ditches are part of the public road) is an idiotic thing to do. You do realize that one simple accident could result in the uninsured person losing everything they own. Oh, but let me guess, I'm a responsible rider/driver, it won't happen to me. Did you know that if someone hits you, and you don't have insurance, you might as well be guilty (whether you are or not).

Now I'm not saying the LEO did the right thing by ticketing the farmer. But with every story, there's 3 sides. Typically they give a warning, unless the farmer has been warned multiple times (which is usually the case).

Oh, and how do you think most stolen property (vehicles) are found? (hint:by random pull-overs).

Quote:
If there appears to be a threat to public safety, they won't chase, as in a school zone, or busy community midday. Now take that with a grain of salt, as I've also seen them chase a car thief on foot for 24 hours with dogs. Go ahead, try it. See the results.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

The part of the problem that rarely gets discussed is the re-sale market for these obviously stolen items.

I don't know anybody who sees like new $1300 item (such as my stolen Honda inverter marked with my name and #) for $400 or $500 and who bluffs himself into thinking that it isn't a stolen unit, then doesn't buy it.

Some items such as quads get used, trashed and discarded but most stolen goods are fenced and the cash spent. If there was no market for the items there would be sheds full of useless junk and thefts could stop.

Before someone goes off on me, I'll admit that over the years there may have been a item or two that came my way for cheap but when my item was stolen and the Bonnyville RCMP admitted that they were aware of the local theft ring I saw this problem from the other side.

Recently the Cold Lake detachment of the RCMP announced that this crew -presumably- had been busted and a warehouse full of merchandise was seized. I had hoped to be reunited with my gear but no such luck. SGI sent me a cheque for $538.00 and some goof has my generator. Real nice.

Free
Old 12-01-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
The part of the problem that rarely gets discussed is the re-sale market for these obviously stolen items.

I don't know anybody who sees like new $1300 item (such as my stolen Honda inverter marked with my name and #) for $400 or $500 and who bluffs himself into thinking that it isn't a stolen unit, then doesn't buy it.

Some items such as quads get used, trashed and discarded but most stolen goods are fenced and the cash spent. If there was no market for the items there would be sheds full of useless junk and thefts could stop.

Before someone goes off on me, I'll admit that over the years there may have been a item or two that came my way for cheap but when my item was stolen and the Bonnyville RCMP admitted that they were aware of the local theft ring I saw this problem from the other side.

Recently the Cold Lake detachment of the RCMP announced that this crew -presumably- had been busted and a warehouse full of merchandise was seized. I had hoped to be reunited with my gear but no such luck. SGI sent me a cheque for $538.00 and some goof has my generator. Real nice.

Free
Victimless crime.. sigh ..

I think that is part of the problem..

The other part is, most people don't keep records of their stuff. For example, I don't have the serial numbers of my cordless drills/tools/tv's written down. BUT, I do have larger (more commonly stolen items) like bikes/generator/lawn mower written down.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned

Angry

Quote:

There will always be people who "try" to defend the RCMP, but the fact is they have become the most inept govt. department by far. I am sure the government has seen how useless they have become but have chosen to do nothing about it. I say get rid of them, costing millions of dollars and do nothing but whine about how they don't have enough people. RCMP in our area have no night shift, shifts end at 6:00PM and someone goes on call thats it, impossible to prevent theft when your not out there when the majority of thefts are taking place........like I said completely uesless.

How hard would it be to put a bait vehicle/ATV out there with a GPS tracker, this is pretty simple stuff, and with all the thefts it would be very successful. That would take a bit of effort though, but the RCMP have chosen to use whining about low staffing instead as some kind of excuse.........it is not.

Last edited by bobalong; 12-01-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
There will always be people who "try" to defend the RCMP, but the fact is they have become the most inept govt. department by far. I am sure the government has seen how useless they have become but have chosen to do nothing about it. I say get rid of them, costing millions of dollars and do nothing but whine about how they don't have enough people. RCMP in our area have no night shift, shifts end at 6:00PM and someone goes on call thats it, impossible to prevent theft when your not out there when the majority of thefts are taking place........like I said completely uesless.
Oh, I'm not defending the RCMP.. I just understand the problem. The boots on the ground are NOT the problem. The problem with the RCMP is it's "uppers". They are all an old boys club raking in big $'s and not doing a single thing for the guys on the ground.

Seems to me like low staffing is part of the problem.. Talk to ANY LEO and ask them about their problems. I've got many LEO's in my family. half of them are in small towns (similar to where you are), they have very few staff, typically work alone, and alot of the time without any backup. Oh and that's even if they could radio for help. My BIL has ZERO radio/cell coverage for 60% of his district, and is almost always working alone. Guess where all the bad **** happens.

Quote:
How hard would it be to put a bait vehicle/ATV out there with a GPS tracker, this is pretty simple stuff, and with all the thefts it would be very successful. That would take a bit of effort though, but the RCMP have chosen to use whining about low staffing instead as some kind of excuse.........it is not.
ok.. you seem to have all the answers.. Why not apply for Depot and do the work. That's right, you won't.. Because you'd rather bitch about how you think people should be doing their job.

Let's say an RCMP arrests someone for possession of stolen property, guy gets thrown in jail, see's the judge the next day, and is released on bail. Now most people would be scared of returning to jail. But that's usually not the case, that thief will just return to what they were doing before. They get caught again, rinse repeat. Except now they spend a bit of time in prison only to learn from other prisoners more things. As in, They learn to go to a different district so the LEO's don't recognize them, or a different province so they are "off the radar" for a bit. But they continue doing what they were doing.

How would you feel as a LEO to arrest the same guy over and over again, sometimes the next day, only to have a judge release him the next day again. This happens regularly.

The problem ISN'T the "boots on the ground" guys, it's lawmakers and uppers at RCMP.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:23 AM

I had a case of "theft over". Undeniable hd footage, licence plate, name, serial number, phone number and the reservation he lived on. Dude had multiple warrants and was hitting a dozen retail places a day with grab and go's and they would not go pick him up. "We will wait until he is contacted on another matter". Extremely frustrating to do their investigative job for them and have them do nothing for over a year. Granted, I would not want to take a dude by force from horse lake but I don't carry a pistol and I do not enforce Canadian law. Millions in stolen goods every year go from gp and dawson into horse lake. Probably tens of millions. The solution is to enforce Canadian law on everyone. Regardless of residence or ethnicity.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

ok.. you seem to have all the answers.. Why not apply for Depot and do the work. That's right, you won't.. Because you'd rather bitch about how you think people should be doing their job.
Are you kidding this suggestion has been made many times, as it is such a logical and easy thing to do. When I see what RCMP are paid and have such a dismal record on theft you damn right I will complain as I as a taxpayer pay their wages as do yours.

The difference is I don't bury my head in the sand and ignore the pathetic job their doing, I speak up and yes to people who are in a position to change things, which almost no one on here can.

Go ahead and blame others for their incompetence, they do share the blame but the "butts on the car seats" not boots on the ground shoulder much of the blame.......well they don't but should. Must be quite the get together with all your "LEO" relatives trying to out do each other with their "poor me" stories. If they can't cut it maybe they could take up basket weaving, or pump some gas.

To bad none of them have the balz to organize and address issues to their, bosses, govt. media where ever they have to if they feel they need addressing......but yes that will take some effort.

Last edited by bobalong; 12-01-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Are you kidding this suggestion has been made many times, as it is such a logical and easy thing to do. When I see what RCMP are paid and have such a dismal record on theft you damn right I will complain as I as a taxpayer pay their wages as do yours.

The difference is I don't bury my head in the sand and ignore the pathetic job their doing, I speak up and yes to people who are in a position to change things, which almost no one on here can.

Go ahead and blame others for their incompetence, they do share the blame but the "butts on the car seats" not boots on the ground shoulder much of the blame.......well they don't but should. Must be quite the get together with all your "LEO" relatives trying to out do each other with their "poor me" stories. If they can't cut it maybe they could take up basket weaving, or pump some gas.

To bad none of them have the balz to organize and address issues to their, bosses, govt. media where ever they have to if they feel they need addressing......but yes that will take some effort.
Spoken like a "victim".. learn to understand the challenges they face. Walk a mile in their shoes. Then you have every right to complain.. but you're a keyboard warrior.. so continue on..