Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Arrow Tow vehicle for boat

Hi Everyone! I'm looking at getting a new vehicle to tow my 17.5' bowrider (w/ trailer and gear ~3000lbs) for this year. With so many rebates going on with the new trucks it seems to be a decent time to get in to it.

Curious what everyone use to tow your boat out to the lakes? I started ice fishing this past season too, so I think I would want a 4x4 so it could be used in winter as well.

Would you recommend an SUV or even a Truck? I'm thinking of hitting places like Newell, Traverse, CVR, Chain Lakes, McGregor, and Sylvan. The odd time maybe towards Shuswap.

I've been using my bro's Jeep Liberty last year and I recall towing my boat with it was sufficient but the gas mileage really sucked. Especially through the mountains towards Shuswap. The liberty has a 3.7L V6. Will a V8 actually save some gas in that scenario because its more powerful? Therefore less time revving at a high RPM?

Thanks so much!

Sushi
Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 PM

i use a ford explorer with a 4.6 v8 (2007). with 7000lb towing capacity, i thought it would be a good choice and it was. great for camping too, as you can keep all of your gear in it. the rsc (rollover stability control) makes towing a breeze, as i used to fight a bit of trailer sway with my previous vehicle and now can barely tell i'm pullin the boat. mileage isn't that great, but with a k&n cold air intake getting her over 300hp, you can't expect to be able to save at the pump.
cheers
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM

What make, model are pretty much up to you, but I strongly suggest a truck, just for ease of throwing in all the associated crap you are going to start to aquire...I am using a nissan xterra now and it has lots of power (boat simular to yours) just would love to be able to throw all the xtra junk into bed an go! instead of having to organize everything in the back....Thing is its paid for and I am way to cheep to want a veh payment....besides I am having to much fun spending to much money on fishin fun!! But ya I will probably break down soon and get a truck as well....as far as milage...big engine little revs, little engine big recs...what ever, where you will save in the long run is towing a boat all summer, and 4x4ing all winter will wear out a mid size SUV alot sooner then a good 1/2 ton...so in the 5-10 year range....1/2 ton will win. Again I know this...so I am hoping next year my Xterra wears out!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Get a chevy Avalanche its the best combo of a truck and sport utility. I love my truck it hauls my boat in summer and gets me on the ice in winter.

Gas mileage is horrible
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 PM

I have had my 2005 Dakota V8 for 5 years & 120k. Put a shell on it so keeps all my equipment dry, even the dog. I pull a 16ft crestliner & my quad trailer. Enough power to pass will towing & rides pretty good. Gas mileage

Empty 110 on highway - 19mpg
Towing boat or Quads 100kmh on highway 12-14 mpg

Empty City - 14-16 mpg
Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 AM

I've been looking at the 2010 GMC Sierra and 2010 F150. If you get the larger engine (5.3L vs. 4.8L in the GMC) or the smaller engine in the Ford (5.4L vs. 4.6L) you can get a 6 speed transmission with 2 overdrive gears. Their advertised mileage is quite reasonable for a truck.

GMC Sierra 5.3L V8 6 speed auto 315HP - 15/21 MPG city/highway (better than the 4.3L V6, 4.8L V8

Ford F150 4.6L V8 6 speed auto 292HP- 15/21 MPG city/highway

Although if I were regularly towing a boat I'd probably want the bigger motor in the Ford, it gets 14/18 MPG 320HP, and has the 6 speed auto as well.

All these numbers are theoretical, of course, but my first choice is the GMC.