Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
This explains where he snuck out of,deer like this would be talked about if seen in years before so this hunter was just at the right place when it all came together,so far no trail cam pics .That wildlife Preserves lands may hold another like him,highly doubt it ,but you never know if the area hasn't been hunted.

For deer to get this big they need 3 factors,genetics ,good food and age and it all comes together.Plus if he had high hormonal levels this will cause this to happen and high testosterone levels can be passed down through genetics if they live close by for long period of time. So who knows what's kicken around out that way.
I was one that at first looked at the deer, and the area, and the first thought was "high fence hunt". Seeing that it certainly appears it was a legit free range, what can one say but, "Holy, flippin' shat!"
Old 01-12-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
I was one that at first looked at the deer, and the area, and the first thought was "high fence hunt". Seeing that it certainly appears it was a legit free range, what can one say but, "Holy, flippin' shat!"
Holly molly.it's a great deer.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Yep, just a dink typical.....with lot's of extras!
Must be nice to hunt an area where 150 class bucks are considered dinks.... ....GPS co-ords please.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
This explains where he snuck out of,deer like this would be talked about if seen in years before so this hunter was just at the right place when it all came together,so far no trail cam pics .That wildlife Preserves lands may hold another like him,highly doubt it ,but you never know if the area hasn't been hunted.

For deer to get this big they need 3 factors,genetics ,good food and age and it all comes together.Plus if he had high hormonal levels this will cause this to happen and high testosterone levels can be passed down through genetics if they live close by for long period of time. So who knows what's kicken around out that way.
He has trail cam pics of this buck from last year on his Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/p/BqA4a4Eh...=1hqhszp23ed37

What an amazing dear and sounds like a very deserving guy. Its nice to know deer like that can exist to keep a person dreaming while sitting in a tree stand!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Must be nice to hunt an area where 150 class bucks are considered dinks.... ....GPS co-ords please.
You can hunt as hard as you want and be the best hunter in the world but if your hunting in an area where there isn’t any big bucks. Your not going to kill a big buck.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You can hunt as hard as you want and be the best hunter in the world but if your hunting in an area where there isn’t any big bucks. Your not going to kill a big buck.
Quit giving away all the secrets to success!!
Next you'll be telling people you can't kill a 170" deer by shooting the first 150" you see..
Old 01-14-2019, 07:17 AM

Talked to the guy at the ATA show last week, very humble and down to earth kind of guy, no bragging about what a great hunter and such. Congrats to him.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quit giving away all the secrets to success!!
Next you'll be telling people you can't kill a 170" deer by shooting the first 150" you see..
Lol what’s wrong with shooting 3 year old 150” whitetail. That’s as big as they are ever going to get
Old 01-14-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Lol what’s wrong with shooting 3 year old 150” whitetail. That’s as big as they are ever going to get
Stop guys you are making me laugh too hard. Lol.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:22 PM

That is a giant no matter how you look at it.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Meat in the freezer..
Old 01-14-2019, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Meat in the freezer..
Yep.. if it’s brown it’s down.. Wild meat is super cheap.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
.. Wild meat is super cheap.
Now THAT is funny.😂
But yes,it’s really cheap if you live on a rural property,hunt from your back porch,don’t burn any fuel to hunt,cut and wrap yourself,don’t take any unpaid leave from work,lug it on your back vs a new quad, hunt with Grandpa’s Lee Enfield and a 10 year old box of ammo that’s taken 17 deer and still 3 rounds remaining.

Last edited by West O'5; 01-29-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:59 PM

Exactly my elk this year probably cost me $100 a pound
Old 01-29-2019, 03:08 PM

Tow bill 1200.Truck repairs 3500.Yup that's why I hunt.Cheap meat.lol

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2019, 03:54 PM

Unfortunately, high-fence and genetic breeders have ruined it for all of us (OK for me at least)...especially if it comes out of the US...they have been obsessed with creating the "Ultimate Buck". I can't seem to trust these deer, majestic as they are...I don't know how the B&C or P&Y can keep track. On another thread they are talking about guys that are shipping poached heads out of Canada for some weird market in the states or Mexico....I remember (as a kid) seeing pictures of truly "Fair Chase" trophies and dreaming that I may see, or ever have a chance to take, something of that caliber. I still marvel at seeing big bucks, but for the most part look at a lot of these "new records" with deep suspicion rather than genuine awe.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:31 PM

Also in these areas of the states, Illinois Iowa, and such they have counties and lots of them with a average of 70 deer per square mile!
Those are huge numbers, and the feed to maintain it.
No wonder there are crankers down there.
They also have state reps that no how to manage game, to bad Alberta does not have some of the same management.
Great deer, and great to see.