Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 07:30 PM

Default 2 day coyote, well kind of

I got a phone call from the landowner this morning. He shot a coyote and asked me if I could skin it out and tan it for him. I did one in the past for him and he really liked it.... So I said yes of course I would..... He said he left the coyote in the fence line....
So thinking I needed to go get the coyote after work at the farm that I might as well go home and bring along my coyote gear and give it a try myself, why waste the trip right?
I got to the farm around 4:15 and setup close to his dead coyote. I call for about 20 minutes or so then decided (as the sun was going down) to walk over to the other end of the farm (500yds?) and call toward the other farmers bush in hopes of calling one in.
I setup the caller and decoy and started screaming out... after about 15 minutes or so this female coyote comes out from the fence line and starts making her way toward the decoy and the low volume dying rabbit sound....
My gun was resting on my shooting sticks pointing right into the middle of the field, all I had to do was wait for her to get lined up (walk across right in front of my setup). Once she reached the crosshairs, I wolfed her to stop and with a 75 yd broadside shot she was down....
Then the real work began, taking them home and skinning them out, his is the one on the left (spine shot-will have to do some sewing) mine is the one on the right. Both females and both about the same size, looks like this past spring pups..
The setup

How it played out

The pose

Two coyotes

Both skinned out
Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Would love to learn sometime live in Calgary skinning of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk