Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM
Banned

Is the OP building in the city?

No way they let a floor drain into a city drainage system.

UNLESS, you call it a dog wash.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Banned

the garge i built 6/7 years ago doesn't have a drain........one of the options i didn't even think about. man, do i wish i would have put in a drain, or at least a catch pit.

after it was too late, one of the guys said i should have augered a couple of holes in the ground 8 ft or so deep, then put in sauna tubes and fill them with gravel. won't freeze because of the depth and you'll never have to worry about cleaning a pit.

i finally built myself one of those water catchers to park the cars on, but vacuuming all that water up every day is a pain i wish i could avoid.

i installed a ceiling fan (an old one i had laying around from the family room), and leave it running all winter. it helps keep the temps the same all over the garage and also keeps condensation off the windows.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

Red deer does, I know this because I’ve got one.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Red deer does, I know this because I’ve got one.
When did you build? I'd be surprised if they still allowed it.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trochu View Post
when did you build? I'd be surprised if they still allowed it.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:

The floor drain/sump has to be connected to a sanitary sewer.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
The floor drain/sump has to be connected to a sanitary sewer.
My understanding is most municipalities won't allow it as oils, gas, grease, paint, etc. can get washed down them and end up in the system.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:45 PM

In Hinton I did a detached garage and rule one always keep a stack of something heavy over floor drain in case of surprise inspection. 28 years ago .
Old 01-14-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I would run a trench drain piped over to a dry well if you're rural. Its just going to be seeing snow and ice melting off your vehicle which would be going into the ground anyways. Of course if your MD requires otherwise I would follow that requirement. I like the epoxy or polyaspartic floor coatings for a nice finish if you're going to get fancy.

A dry well is essentially a hole dug deep and wide and filled with gravel, then some landscape cloth and 12"+ of soil above it to conceal it. One could handle runoff from ice and snow melting off a vehicle.

https://www.zurn.com/products/trench...r-trench-drain
This is the type of system I use in my garage. I started off building my garage a few years ago and wanted a drain but by the time I realized I wanted/needed one it was days before the slab pour and I didn't have my ducks in a row for the drain.
Come 2 years and 2 winters later and the squeegeeing is driving me up the wall big time.
Over this past summer I cut the concrete and installed a trench drain and drained it right into a dry well just like mentioned above.

This is the first winter with it and I LOVE it. I was concerned about the pipe between the garage and the well freezing as I only buried it 18 inches deep, (its under a foot path so no chance of hitting it with equipment) so I used 6 inch pipe, and I got one of those electric heat cords, so if I am worried about the long periods of low temps I just plug it in for a bit and my mind is set at ease.

Its super easy to build and the longest part of the project for me hand digging the drywell.
With material it only cost me about 500$
Old 01-14-2019, 01:36 PM

Drain is a must have. The cheapest/best option I've come across is a tapered 2x6x what ever length drain you want, installed over a 3" drain running to sewer/drywell or daylight. set the 2x6 to desired concrete height. Fasten 2x6 with rebar so it won't move when pouring concrete. Once concrete is poured remove 2x6 and you a nice trench drain with a 3" or 4" outlet in the centre.
There are better drains than this, but by far this will be the cheapest. If you are tying into sewer system don't forget an accessible p-trap along the line.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Banned

I am interested to here what Caber says about hooking to a Municipal system.

I am sure the only way we got away with one was to call it a Dog wash. But that was a few years ago and building in Calgary.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:50 PM

city of red deer it is still legal to have it hooked to the sanitary system
blackfalds where i live and have out sanitary pumped to red deer it is not legal
so i have have catch basin sumps in both garages
first garage i built at my old house i did not have the sump put in
now after having it i would never go back to not having one
Old 01-14-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I am interested to here what Caber says about hooking to a Municipal system.

I am sure the only way we got away with one was to call it a Dog wash. But that was a few years ago and building in Calgary.
In a city of course I would hook up to the municipal sewer, but I was responding to the rural situation the OP noted. In most city homes though it would be quite a task to get a sewer connection buried to sufficient depth out to a detached garage. An attached garage would be pretty simple by comparison but of course we're talking before the floor is poured... I've really only done one dry well and I was just a shovel operator still in high school at the time, one wouldn't fly in town these days but this was to correct an area that was pooling in a commercial strip mall's paved parking lot.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
My understanding is most municipalities won't allow it as oils, gas, grease, paint, etc. can get washed down them and end up in the system.
Thats why it has to be connected to a sanitary system ( in edmonton ) . Atleast if someone did illegally pour something in the drain that it would get treated.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:55 AM

most floor sumps in garages i've seen have a "u" shaped pipe that will sit in the water allowing the oils and greases to float to the top and the water will gravity feed down the line. This is so you can skim the oil off if need be. Also they are deep and allow solids to settle out so they won't plug your plumping
Old 01-16-2019, 04:21 AM

Wish mine had a drain. Too much work to put it in now.
Cut concrete, drill hole, fill with gravel, install drain and catch basin, patch concrete.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:10 AM

Keep in mind using power of gas to evaporate the water on the floor moves it to a different spot causing a problem some where else. And it takes money and now carbon tax to do it.