Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 06:42 AM

Fillet them and grind them make fish patties they are great add some onion salt and pepper grind some crackers with them they are great
Old 01-15-2019, 02:01 PM

Default Eating pike

Best tasting fish through the ice as long as you know how to take the Y bones out.
Very underrated fish.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Very under rated for table fare.
I think its #3 behind Walleye and Perch.
You forgot Burbot in top 3.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Best white flesh fish I ever ate - about 15 pound Pike ponask cooked over a fire by Cree guide on Wollaston lake.
Picked the fish off the bones with our fingers.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4ever12 View Post
pike is my favorite,i stick with only keeping fish in winter though....taste soooo much better! Not really understanding most of the comments about a “fish” tasting like a fish,seems you thought they’d taste more like pork........
lmao
Old 01-15-2019, 04:53 PM

Jacks are delicious from cold water. Bled, debone, season, and fry in 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard as has been mentioned. A little lemon pepper when they come out of the pan. Flipping delicious. Even better the next morning I find.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Banned

a shore lunch , pike in butter with a coors lite . 5 Star for sure !
Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 PM

Pike are flat out delicious. Slime is a non-issue (rinses off anyways) and the Y bones are fairly easy to remove. Walleye must have a hell of a publicist because a Pike fillet breaded with flour an salt/pepper can go head-to-head against a walleye fillet done the same way any day of the week in my opinion.

I’m really intrigued to try the shake and bake recipe. What time and temp would be recommended for that?
Old 01-15-2019, 06:57 PM

Had some walleye tags for lac la biche this year. Tagged a few walleye and kept a few keeper pike (shame it’s going C&R in 2019) and did a beer batter deep fry for 20 people. Never told anyone what was what. Almost unanimously the pike were the preferred table fare.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 PM

Hands down one of the best fish chowders I have ever eaten is pike chowder..

Hard to beat the gold ol pan fry either.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Had some walleye tags for lac la biche this year. Tagged a few walleye and kept a few keeper pike (shame it’s going C&R in 2019) and did a beer batter deep fry for 20 people. Never told anyone what was what. Almost unanimously the pike were the preferred table fare.
Am I reading this right . Lac la Biche is C & R for all pike in 2019 ? or is this walleye tags gone .

Last edited by Spruster; 01-15-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 PM

I agree they are delicious, too bad years of terrible mgmt has led to not being able to keep them anymore. Sad.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 PM

I grew up eating it so I really enjoy eating and catching pike! Cooked some up right now. Here's a deconstructed pike fried up.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-16-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
I have never eaten pike....has anyone?
I've only kept and eaten pike once... I did not like it.

The texture is very firm and flaky, kind of like salmon, but maybe a bit too firm and flaky for a white fish for me. And there was an aftertaste... like you ate the fish and it was fine, but then it kept on tasting and tasting -- not for me!!!

For reference, my fave white-type fish is haddock. Sole is nicely flavoured but too soft textured for me. Cod is a decent substitute for haddock. Pollock has the right texture for me, but the stuff you buy in the stores here often has "fishy" overtones, which I think means we just get the older stuff, I bet pollock is very good if fresh off the boat.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 AM

The nice part about a pike is that there's plenty of fillet in one fish,beer batter,chowders cause it holds together better than many fish.Make a bed of hot coals and get some tin foil,add butter spice of choice,piece of lemon slice a touch of water to steam well and fold it up so no air gets in ,roll over ever 5 minutes and when it's all like a metal balloon open up and dig in,many other things can be added in to a foil broil but pike is right up there with the best.

In warm waters fillet right way and stash on ice and there good,they go soft in ten minutes if they stay whole and it's like filleting a ball of mush.

Out on the lake put a sliced onion in a pot a bit salt a bay leaf and boil till done and still firm,serve it with tarter sause,warm butter or just plain salt and pepper.

Hell I am getting hungry thinking about this,when I guide I can't eat fried fish every day maybe once a week,so I catch a small pike and eat this 3 times a week,the fried stuff would kill me in no time.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
I've only kept and eaten pike once... I did not like it.

The texture is very firm and flaky, kind of like salmon, but maybe a bit too firm and flaky for a white fish for me. And there was an aftertaste... like you ate the fish and it was fine, but then it kept on tasting and tasting -- not for me!!!

For reference, my fave white-type fish is haddock. Sole is nicely flavoured but too soft textured for me. Cod is a decent substitute for haddock. Pollock has the right texture for me, but the stuff you buy in the stores here often has "fishy" overtones, which I think means we just get the older stuff, I bet pollock is very good if fresh off the boat.
You didn't prepare it right and the after taste is a bit slim from the skin,tastes like some of the girls I kissed in lake of the woods hotel years ago,little fishy and left an after taste.Nothing 6 old vienna beer couldn't get rid of or 6 good shots of five star.haha,I like lobster and cod ,but there hard to catch in Ontario.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Yup, seen this first hand as people spewed off about slim slugs and yet they said that the plate with the walleye was the best of the two....it was pike they gobbled down

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 AM

Boiled with a pinch of salt, boiled potatoes. Serve with chopped up garlic clove, pepper, a light sprinkle of red wine vinegar and olive oil...
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 AM

Love fried pike. I like canning it too. Good stuff.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I grew up eating it so I really enjoy eating and catching pike! Cooked some up right now. Here's a deconstructed pike fried up.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Now I have to go fishing! Just told the boss, I'm outta here. Jackfish and chips for supper tonight! I just hope that the keeper jack cooperate.

BW
Old 01-26-2019, 05:43 PM

Pike is the poor mans lobster .
Old 01-26-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
The nice part about a pike is that there's plenty of fillet in one fish,beer batter,chowders cause it holds together better than many fish.Make a bed of hot coals and get some tin foil,add butter spice of choice,piece of lemon slice a touch of water to steam well and fold it up so no air gets in ,roll over ever 5 minutes and when it's all like a metal balloon open up and dig in,many other things can be added in to a foil broil but pike is right up there with the best.

In warm waters fillet right way and stash on ice and there good,they go soft in ten minutes if they stay whole and it's like filleting a ball of mush.

Out on the lake put a sliced onion in a pot a bit salt a bay leaf and boil till done and still firm,serve it with tarter sause,warm butter or just plain salt and pepper.

Hell I am getting hungry thinking about this,when I guide I can't eat fried fish every day maybe once a week,so I catch a small pike and eat this 3 times a week,the fried stuff would kill me in no time.
I’m totally going to use the pike I have to make chowder this week! Thanks for the idea
Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM

Pike are delicious. Lately when I keep pike (only during cold water) I fillet them and remove the Y-bone.

I then marinade in olive oil, fresh garlic, basil, chilli powder, parsely for an hour. While the grill is heating I add lemon (too early the vinegar will cook the fish) I put directly on the bbq grill.

Don't over cook them grill a few mins per side. I make fish tacos with them (squirt a little lime on them fresh off the grill) and it's fantastic! I do also enjoy breading and frying them, this was just something I tried one day to mix it up and it's a huge hit with the family