Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Late season cow elk in 522

My son and I have late season tags for 522. I am hoping to fold our tags from a drainage I hunted earlier this year that will ensure the suck factor is high enough to be memorable. My backup is a few day sit in a blind on public I have a camera on. I however am looking for back up to my backup to ensure at least my son gets his (neither of us have shot an Elk yet, ever). If anyone in that area has some problem Elk that need thinning out by an expert 14 year old marksman and his land owner sympathizing Dad, shoot me a PM. Shooting them in ag land is my least favourite option but I am not failing the boy on this one so my ducks will be in a row before January. I have one scouting trip next week to see how their movement has changed from fall and fix up the old blind we found. I am looking forward to that trip more than our Mexican holiday.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:10 PM

Go to the peace river fish and wildlife office. Landowners with problem elk post their info and get them to give it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Go to the peace river fish and wildlife office. Landowners with problem elk post their info and get them to give it out.

Fantastic tip, thank you.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Well the time is here and my plan is not doing so well. The officer I spoke to tried to help but had no landowners with problems yet and little information as to where "the herd" may be located, though he was super nice . I was denied sled access on the wanham grazing lease so that may be an extremely tough slog. I am planning on stopping by the Birch Hills colony to ask the Abe's. This would be mine and my 14 year olds first Elk, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:40 PM

not sure what the country is like up there, but putting miles on the truck on back roads trying to find elk crossings in the snow may work on getting you into the right area.

if you find something promising, don't be scared of knocking on a few doors. Many landowners will allow access for late season cow draws, when they normally would not for general seasons.

mentioning you are hunting with your 14 year old son probably would not hurt either. a lot of urban folks understand the importance of a dad spending time out with their kid on a hunt.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:49 PM

Hunting Elk is not supposed to be easy, make the trip special and not just dependant on a kill. Late season Elk can be tough slugging, which is usually why the wait for a tag is shorter. Good luck and have a good trip with the boy.

Craig
Old 01-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post

Just wondering if this has ever worked out for you or is it a myth?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
When I asked fur and feathers they said they often do have farmers with problems who leave their contact info, but not currently. I assume it's more common when there is 4 feet of snow
Old 01-07-2019, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
When I asked fur and feathers they said they often do have farmers with problems who leave their contact info, but not currently. I assume it's more common when there is 4 feet of snow
Interestingly thanks.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 AM

Well 3 days and no sightings including last night I tented solo by the river hoping to wake up in the Elk. Tracks indicate they elk are everywhere I am not, Including all over my tracks down. Saw nothing at all and heard nothing but wolves. It was an adventure. I am going to regroup, hang some cameras on busy game trails and see if they are using them at all during the day. Back to square one.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:12 AM

Sounds like elk hunting to me. The nice thing is once you find them, you will eventually find their preferred travel routes and (more importantly) their desired crossing points. Nail that down and you should be in to years of success.
Trust me- it sucks at first. Keep after it. It will pay off.

Sounds to me like you may be going too fast when walking. Slow way way down if you aren’t already. 8-9 am you should be hearing the herds chirping (locating) each other this time of year to bed down. Your ears may be your greatest asset while elk hunting.

$10 worth of free advise. Take it or leave it

Ps- if you are “just behind” the elk all the times you will forever be. It’s very fluky to catch up with a herd. I would suggest using google earth and based on your intense knowledge of the area, try to pin down where they are generally going. Get there ahead of them. That might mean hunting where there is only old sign. They will generally cycle around like that, maybe only staying predictable for a few days before moving on. Don’t ask me how I know.... beat my head against the wall a few times.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Sounds like elk hunting to me. The nice thing is once you find them, you will eventually find their preferred travel routes and (more importantly) their desired crossing points. Nail that down and you should be in to years of success.
Trust me- it sucks at first. Keep after it. It will pay off.

Sounds to me like you may be going too fast when walking. Slow way way down if you aren’t already. 8-9 am you should be hearing the herds chirping (locating) each other this time of year to bed down. Your ears may be your greatest asset while elk hunting.

$10 worth of free advise. Take it or leave it

Ps- if you are “just behind” the elk all the times you will forever be. It’s very fluky to catch up with a herd. I would suggest using google earth and based on your intense knowledge of the area, try to pin down where they are generally going. Get there ahead of them. That might mean hunting where there is only old sign. They will generally cycle around like that, maybe only staying predictable for a few days before moving on. Don’t ask me how I know.... beat my head against the wall a few times.
I agree I am a step behind, sitting on the older sign was my next plan. I noticed tonight on the way out that the fresh tracks were not on the trails they were the night before and some large rutted up Elk trails hasn't been used for 2 or maybe 3 days. A few cams should tell the tale. I was hoping karma would kick in and present me with a gift after all the hard work I have put into this.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
I agree I am a step behind, sitting on the older sign was my next plan. I noticed tonight on the way out that the fresh tracks were not on the trails they were the night before and some large rutted up Elk trails hasn't been used for 2 or maybe 3 days. A few cams should tell the tale. I was hoping karma would kick in and present me with a gift after all the hard work I have put into this.
I’m a firm believer you make your own luck. Sounds like you’re on the right track. I wouldn’t blindly sit on old sign. Get that beautiful satellite imagery out (I use ihunter and google maps) and start plotting points of sightings with time of day. A loose pattern will start to develop. You got this!!!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I called a few offices as well and I was given the FOIP speech. That makes sense and doesn't. I gave up and started calling grazing lease contacts to ask if they have seen any elk when I had my cow elk tag. I was driving around yesterday and shooting some grouse and found 4 herds of elk over a span of close to 200km. One was 35 elk that I could find but I bet there were more. A nice spiker in that herd. Hopefully they stick around till next year haha!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:29 PM

While making Hotel reservations to get around 4 hours of driving a day or sleeping in another tent at 25 below, the nice lady on the phone turned out to be a family friend. She is hooking me up with the Hutterite I need to bribe and the booze to bribe him with, as well as a permission on lots of other nearby land that one family owns. The universe provides, just not how and when you expect it to. It's still far from a done deal but I am feeling hopeful.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:43 PM

Good luck with it Jayz. I have tag for 357, but am in the middle of a big custom job I need to get done and paid for. I was lucky to get a decent bull moose in October so the pressure is off to fill the freezer, but I'm still hoping to maybe get time next weekend to look. Got feelers out with quite a few farmers but so far none have any problem elk eating their green feed yet...maybe I will, maybe I won't fold tag.

I am feeling a bit lazy about the whole thing as I also have a side of beef coming end of the month. We still like beef around here too....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-13-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Good luck with it Jayz. I have tag for 357, but am in the middle of a big custom job I need to get done and paid for. I was lucky to get a decent bull moose in October so the pressure is off to fill the freezer, but I'm still hoping to maybe get time next weekend to look. Got feelers out with quite a few farmers but so far none have any problem elk eating their green feed yet...maybe I will, maybe I won't fold tag.

I am feeling a bit lazy about the whole thing as I also have a side of beef coming end of the month. We still like beef around here too....
My land is in 357, having moose problems but not Elk yet this year. I will keep my ear to the ground for you.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
While making Hotel reservations to get around 4 hours of driving a day or sleeping in another tent at 25 below, the nice lady on the phone turned out to be a family friend. She is hooking me up with the Hutterite I need to bribe and the booze to bribe him with, as well as a permission on lots of other nearby land that one family owns. The universe provides, just not how and when you expect it to. It's still far from a done deal but I am feeling hopeful.
Access to Public and Private Lands
...….it is unlawful to directly or indirectly buy or sell, trade or barter, or offer to buy or sell access to any land for the purpose of hunting any big game, furbearing animals or game birds.

Im just going to leave this here......
Old 01-14-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I would never post this on a public forum!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
I would never post this on a public forum!
No kidding!
Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM

Everybody knows he was talking about bribing(paying) the hutterites to tan his hide. Nothing more.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 PM

You guys read too much into it. The "bribe" involves having a drink with him, not paying him.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:20 AM

I've heard stories of Hutterites charging up to $1000 to hunt Elk on their land in 522 and 359. Don't think a bottle of booze will be enough lol
Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 PM

for a cow? yah, probably not.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisPbacon View Post
I've heard stories of Hutterites charging up to $1000 to hunt Elk on their land in 522 and 359. Don't think a bottle of booze will be enough lol
I think you can bill them back for servicing the straw bosses wife.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Don’t let the pig boss’s wife find out.

She’s gonna be ****ed if you’re stepping out on her.