Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM

I had a 760 in .35 Rem briefly. It shouldered nice and shot ok, but I had a 30-30 mod 94 and found the .35 Rem a bit redundant. I currently have a newer synthetic 7600 in 270 Win that I haven't even chambered a round in yet. I may end up selling it as well if it doesn't get used soon. It seems like anyone who shoulders a pump action shotgun (i.e. 870) on a regular basis take to the 760/7600's really well and love hunting with them.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 PM

If you ever want to get rid of it let me know as well... however I find that getting rid of a gun is a lot easier than getting it back.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Don’t knock I till you try it!

20” bbl’d, 7600 Rem, 30-06, 1.5-6x32, 4200 Bushnell.

I’m driving 150’s at 2850fps.

They shoot like this at 100 yds.

Affectionatly refered to as the Mennonite Machine Gun.
I’ve owned the 760 30-06 for 33 years and probly filled a reefer van or two with the ol meatslayer,guessing close to 70-80(?) big game animals to its credit,mostly deer but 1/2 dozen moose,couple elk,a few bears,several yotes plus lotsa headless chickens,coons,bobcats,beavers,a fisher..... you name it it’s shot it,lol
Yea it’s an east coaster thing.😜......and yea I used to trap back in the day hence the never missing an opportunity to put some fur in the shed while deer hunting.
Super fast follow-ups on the rare occasion that I’ve needed one,but I also grew up on bird hunting with an 870 so it comes natural.
The 76/760/7600s are known for sub-MOA accuracy with essentially a free floated barrel and triple lug action,not many factory rounds I’ve tried that won’t shoot sub-MOA.
Mine doesn’t have the infamous “rattle” but some do rattle a bit,maybe I got lucky there?
Recently I bought a high end bolt action .300WSM which I suspect will be my new go-to most days,but too many memories with the ol pumper to ever sell it,I’m thinking of maybe having it rechambered to .338-06,shortened and cerakote and maybe a Boyd’s laminate stock for a truck beater/bush gun......or maybe just keep it as is,why fix what ain’t broken,it’s put a few tonnes of meat in the freezer over 4 decades.

Last edited by West O'5; 01-12-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I’ve owned the 760 30-06 for 33 years and probly filled a reefer van or two with the ol meatslayer,guessing close to 70-80(?) big game animals to its credit,mostly deer but 1/2 dozen moose,couple elk,a few bears,several yotes plus lotsa headless chickens,coons,bobcats,beavers,a fisher..... you name it it’s shot it,lol
Yea it’s an east coaster thing.😜......and yea I used to trap back in the day hence the never missing an opportunity to put some fur in the shed while deer hunting.
Super fast follow-ups on the rare occasion that I’ve needed one,but I also grew up on bird hunting with an 870 so it comes natural.
The 76/760/7600s are known for sub-MOA accuracy with essentially a free floated barrel and triple lug action,not many factory rounds I’ve tried that won’t shoot sub-MOA.
Mine doesn’t have the infamous “rattle” but some do rattle a bit,maybe I got lucky there?
Recently I bought a high end bolt action .300WSM which I suspect will be my new go-to most days,but too many memories with the ol pumper to ever sell it,I’m thinking of maybe having it rechambered to .338-06,shortened and cerakote and maybe a Boyd’s laminate stock for a truck beater/bush gun......or maybe just keep it as is,why fix what ain’t broken,it’s put a few tonnes of meat in the freezer over 4 decades.
I get that you might want to go the 338-06 route just because, but I'd leave the old stock as is for your "truck beater/bush gun" idea. Just too many memories with the old stock, same goes for the bluing. I'd also leave it as an 06, and just load her up with 200g HotCors, or Partitions. Often overlooked in the 06, but they drop animals well at sane ranges.

I've had a pile of the old pumps over the years, and still have one in 308, they are awesome shooting irons.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I get that you might want to go the 338-06 route just because, but I'd leave the old stock as is for your "truck beater/bush gun" idea. Just too many memories with the old stock, same goes for the bluing. I'd also leave it as an 06, and just load her up with 200g HotCors, or Partitions. Often overlooked in the 06, but they drop animals well at sane ranges.

I've had a pile of the old pumps over the years, and still have one in 308, they are awesome shooting irons.
Yea the 338-06 is a “just because” idea....figgered with the new .300WSM the ol pump won’t see much use so thought I might breathe some new life into it,plus already have another 30-06 bolt I don’t need/never use just because I can’t pass up a good deal ....yea I’m kinda of a gun hoarder,lol
....so I thought if I’m gonna rechamber the ol pump might as well giver the Full Monte makeover??
Plus....how many people do you know have a carbine length 760 in .338-06 with laminate stock and cerakoted,lol 😎
...and yes I know 18” is not ideal barrel length for .338-06,ask me if I care,haha
I’m more of a bush hunter anyhow and it will be reserved for days when 100y is a long shot....in fact come to think of it,probably 80%+ of WTs I’ve killed with the ‘06 have been well within 100y anyhow plus a couple dozen more with bows/shotguns,muzzleloader and a few other rifles.Point being its not intended to be a 1/4 mile sniper,it’ll be a bush gun can that can bounce around in the truck without getting stressed out over scratches and dings. 😜

Last edited by West O'5; 01-12-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 PM

18” is fine performance wise the big issue is muzzle last. It gets pretty obnoxious at that length.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
Pump gun rifles don't get a lot of love in Alta, so your replies here may have a bit of negative bias.

I'd personally keep it and put a low powered scope on it. The suggestion to cut it to 20" was a good one. I've done three like that and feel that's the best length for handling. My current 20" 30-06 is topped with a Williams FP receiver sight.

Have another 760 in 18.5" Carbine 308.

Late to the thread (i don't get out much.) Just picked up a '55 760 in .30-06, love it. (I already had another in .300 Savage, same year, so i had already formed an opinion about them being champ for the deer woods.) I am thinking of getting the new one cut down too, and i was also thinking 20". The factory carbines always seemed excessively, unnecessarily short to me. Neat to see someone else also arrived at this conclusion that 20" is perfect. Though to be honest, the standard 22" barrel is not a lot of barrel either, really. Love these guns at any rate. Nothing slicker than a pumpgun.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:05 PM

My very first rifle was a LH 742 jamomatic in .308. After missing a moose and couple deer because it was, you guessed it “jammed” I bought a 7600 in 270 win. The gun shot fine but I just found the action overly noisy and tough to clean. I sold it and bought a 700bdl in 30-06.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My very first rifle was a LH 742 jamomatic in .308. After missing a moose and couple deer because it was, you guessed it “jammed” I bought a 7600 in 270 win. The gun shot fine but I just found the action overly noisy and tough to clean. I sold it and bought a 700bdl in 30-06.
That overly noisy thing happened when Remington "improved" the 760 with the 760 introduction of Stamped parts in the 7600 as opposed to machined parts on the original 760.
The same thing happened to Winchesters Mod 94. It. I think around 1955, it was one of the first firearms to get the "modern improvement" treatments by Mfgr's in 1964.
My very first rifle was a .270 in Mod 760, bought when I was a kid working for the Rem Distributor in Edmonton (Marshall-Wells Hardware). A great rifle that shot very well.
Believe me , you could hear the difference when you cycled the action between the 760 and the 7600 when it was introduced a bit later.
As far as I'm concerned, the "improvements' were all on the manufacture's end.
A trend that continues to this day.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
That overly noisy thing happened when Remington "improved" the 760 with the introduction of stamped parts in the 7600 as opposed to machined parts on the original 760.
The same thing happened to Winchesters Mod 94. It was one of the first firearms along with the Mod 70 to get the "modern improvement" treatments by Mfgr's in 1964.
My very first rifle was a .270 in Mod 760, bought when I was a kid working for the Rem Distributor in Edmonton around 1955 (Marshall-Wells Hardware). A great rifle that shot very well.
Believe me , you could hear the difference when you cycled the action between the 760 and the 7600 when it was introduced a bit later.
As far as I'm concerned, the "improvements' were all on the manufacture's end.
A trend that continues to this day.