Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Banned

Default Anyone going to sufield on Jan 21-24?

Hey guys, my hunting partner had to back out of our elk hunt on Jan 21-24
I have tags and would like to be able to partner up with someone so I can go into the NWA,
Old 01-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Banned

Or if anyone is interested, meat share of course
Old 01-09-2019, 06:41 PM

Just got back from suffield saw lots of elk the first day large herd of 1000+ In the south part of the north nwa
And a couple of smaller heard of 50-100. I got two cows down yesterday just south of k-rat road as herd of about 100 was making a run for north boundary of the base. That herd left the base and in talking with people on the base today
It sounds as very few people have seen elk in the main or nwa areas
There was 25 elk taken on day one. 14 bulls and 9 cows (most of these elk were taken in the main area )
Yesterday there was at least 14 elk taken by 6pm but there was still 20 trucks to come in
Old 01-09-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Or if anyone is interested, meat share of course
My co-worker and I are going, but I have to head back to town by noon on the Tuesday, so yeah it would probably work out if we had a third in case he stays after I leave. It also makes filling both cow tags easier to deal with. Send me a private message.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250mark1 View Post
I got two cows down yesterday just south of k-rat road as herd of about 100 was making a run for north boundary of the base.
It was a damn good shot too! I was sitting beside you when you dropped the first one, 640ish yards?!

The NWA (North) is where the concentration of them are for sure, many were taken on the east boundary road as far down as the river. They're REALLY skittish right now, if they see a truck they move and they move fast and they move far. I found myself in the SW corner on the last day and I bumped a small herd of cows 4 times over a distance of about 14.5 kms in what I call a high stakes game of hide and seek. By the end of it I got directly in front of them and we looked at each other 1000 yards part in a stand off as the sun set behind the hills (They won, I sky lined myself). If you see them cross the road in front of you, go around to the next road and setup.. They'll be coming..

I wouldn't look past the SW corner, down where rattlesnake and artillery road intersect. There are some really nice hills for them to hide in and some great trails to get you in a ways to park and scout/stalk. It's also great because EVERYONE is up in the NE so it's not as likely you'll find someone in your shooting lanes and there's less pressure.

Good Luck to you guys!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Default Suffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Hey guys, my hunting partner had to back out of our elk hunt on Jan 21-24
I have tags and would like to be able to partner up with someone so I can go into the NWA,
I would gladly join you as a non hunting partner. I have lots of experience hunting the Suffield base and have harvested 4 cows there myself and helped many others get both bulls and cows. Ive participated in this hunt either as a hunter or as a helper every year but one since it started and know the area quite well. I have 3 days of holidays left that I have to use up soon so no problem getting time off work. Shoot me a PM if you're still looking for partner/helper.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:48 AM

Thanks for watching and the comments