Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Shhhhhh!!!!

You want to protect fishing, maybe stop mentioning that people catch hundreds if not thousands of fish for sport with 10-30% mortality rates. Want to get antis fired up?
Ahhh they get fired up over a goldfish floating in a fish tank at a pet store....or those on pens that come in a box....poor goldfish turned into crackers

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 AM

Old mr ken wichopen must be monitoring the forum even though it’s such a “joke” according to him. For those who don’t know who he is.. he used to run a 15 minute bit on a cold Lake radio station about fishing in the area. Made accusations about a group of us that do overnight trips, took pictures of our group from afar and posted to Facebook saying we were poachers and even called us in to F&W for keeping an undersized laker (which it definitely wasn’t)

5F4B6C01-09EC-4B26-8B2C-63CC4BF4FA5F.jpg
H
F37D6103-D074-4A0D-9EF8-27EEEEF47145.jpg
Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Look like I am famous. Should I get some kind or compensation for them reusing my post? I copyrighted the fishman eduction corse. Hahah I couldn’t bother to waist my time and look but i would put my money on it that ken wichopen is not his name on the form ether.

My opinion on these forms is they can get a bit goofy but it is opinions and made up statistics most of the time but it brings out good conversations to learn what to do and what not to do sometimes.

I will let everyone know if I get payed for my copyrighted post
Old 01-14-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
Old mr ken wichopen must be monitoring the forum even though it’s such a “joke” according to him. For those who don’t know who he is.. he used to run a 15 minute bit on a cold Lake radio station about fishing in the area. Made accusations about a group of us that do overnight trips, took pictures of our group from afar and posted to Facebook saying we were poachers and even called us in to F&W for keeping an undersized laker (which it definitely wasn’t)

Attachment 152084
H
Attachment 152085
Disgruntled old timer.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 PM

Lots of protein going to waste whether it's 10 percent or 50 percent. There's gotta be a better way...maybe a season or one small one. Everyone is fishing for a keeper anyway. Protect the 65 plus centimeter ones so at least you protect what's in there now and have a chance for the fishery to sustain. Killing big numbers of nice Lakers that are just under the legal limit is ridiculous at this day and age. Haven't we roasted enough fisheries in alberta to at least try to keep a few breeders out of the freezer?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post

Attachment 152084
H
Attachment 152085
i thought that his report was about the "CRAP" (literally) ..... you left on the ice!!!!

mack
Old 01-15-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
i thought that his report was about the "CRAP" (literally) ..... you left on the ice!!!!

mack
That was the first time when we did a very large gathering and yes there was a few people that were the last to leave did leave a mess after telling us they would clean up before leaving. I was the one who went back to clean everything up. Those people don’t join us on our overnight trips anymore and it’s kept to a close bit group of us now and when we leave there’s nothing but foot prints left behind. Then the next year he took pictures and reported us and made many false accusations about the group.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 AM

You would think the town or m.d. would put some port a pottys on the lake 2 or 3 would do ,lots of income come from us fisherman ?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
You would think the town or m.d. would put some port a pottys on the lake 2 or 3 would do ,lots of income come from us fisherman ?
Unfortunately in this day and age they would likely just get vandalized
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Ain't that true,
Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 AM

And what is the retention size there again 1 over 75 cm or something?

It is crazy to me why not have a small size like 45cm or something with mortality rates what there are guys catch fish non stop to find a "keeper" which in the case of a 75cm laker must be about 18 to 20 years old and taste like garbage anyway.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
And what is the retention size there again 1 over 75 cm or something?

It is crazy to me why not have a small size like 45cm or something with mortality rates what there are guys catch fish non stop to find a "keeper" which in the case of a 75cm laker must be about 18 to 20 years old and taste like garbage anyway.
While I agree in principle about the smaller sized fish as a keeper, the problem the Bio told me is then, in a given week with lets say 300-500 people fishing, then there will be 300-500 fish taken out, because most catch at least one that size.
While they understand that the 75cm plus are the big breeders, there are less of them, and most don't catch that many, Then there are only a few fish leaving the lake each day, not hundreds.
Barbless, and nothing over 75cm, and one lets say from 45-55cm might help I don't know.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Banned

There would be huge variance between anglers, nubes vs experienced, some I’ve witnessed (not just nubes) just have zero respect for the animal letting it just flop around on the ice/shore, not usin a net or handling the fish with dry hands, treble hooks don’t help either. Numbers would depend on the specific angler and species. I don’t think you’d ever get accurate mortality numbers.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
While I agree in principle about the smaller sized fish as a keeper, the problem the Bio told me is then, in a given week with lets say 300-500 people fishing, then there will be 300-500 fish taken out, because most catch at least one that size.
While they understand that the 75cm plus are the big breeders, there are less of them, and most don't catch that many, Then there are only a few fish leaving the lake each day, not hundreds.
Barbless, and nothing over 75cm, and one lets say from 45-55cm might help I don't know.
Right I get the theory however when you put mortality rates into the equation is it better to catch and release 20 small fish to find the "big one"

I only catch and release at cold lake as I think the fish taste horrible but I also know there is a pile of guys that catch until they land their keeper and pack it in.
I would hope that my own fish handling results in a lesser mortality rate and in my own experience it seems the fish that get hooked the worse are the smaller trout and to be honest I would keep a smaller fish if it was hooked deep.
Another option might be a slot size to limit the catch say a 45-55 cm fish would be all you can retain. This might limit the greedy guys that keep 15lb fish from even going.
Lots of options but I really don't think we have it right the way it currently is. slot limits for fish have been successfully implemented in several provinces and states with success yet here they would prefer we buy tags
Old 01-16-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Ya but unfortunately they would end up vandalized and dragged all over the lake, we got a lot of problem children up here....so walk off to shore, find a nice tree to hunker down

Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
That's exactly the problem and why regs are implemented people can't regulate themselves even if they caught a keeper in a say slot size.....too much keeping and not enough releasing so here we are stuck in a crappy place because of hammerheads not able to catch and release....