Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 AM

Default Headin to slave or cold lake tonight, tips hows the fishing?

Well thinkin about headin out to cold or slave lake tonight never been to cold lake and have not been to slave sence i was a little guy. Does anyone have any tips, and were are some good place to get on to the lake?
Thanks
Mitch
Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Well were leavin at 1am get there around 6 or 7 hopefully catch some good fish so we can make a good road trip vid.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Hopefully your bringing sleds I'm not sure how the ice conditions on Slave are. Was out at Utikima last weekend and there was around 12", most were on sleds or ATV's. I guess theres been a few trucks on the lakes up North, Wabasca ect, but those guys are brave or stupid....depends on how you look at it!
Aways good luck.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 PM

So we made it out, there first place we tryed was cold lake p.p. and we walked out about a 100yrds drilled a hole found out it was 3in thick then got off the ice. After then we went for a drive to try to find french mens, when we found it there was about 10 guys out there off a point with quads and sleds out there. We talk to a fourm member that was walkin in to grab hes face mask because she was a little chill out that day. He said the ice has 7 to 8in so we new it was safe to walk on. We tryed for a bit in about 70f and had no luck and that was about all the line we had. So we went of a little point to try to find the drop off and try for some eyes or pike with no luck there we packed her in for the day and headed to the hotel runnin on a hour of sleep it was nice to see a bed after we added some line to the reels. Next mornin we headed out to frenchmens again and pulled the sled to where the guys the day before were fishin. With no one else out there [all day],We busted some holes and set up camp. It was around 115f deep the morning was slow with only a couple little bites, it start to pick up around 130 i hookin to a big dog but after a short battle he was gone. i hook in to a smaller one a little later anothere short battle. Had a couple more bites and that was the the day. Now back home thinkin of the next spot to go!
To that guy we talk to in the morning on tuesday [sorry didnt get ur name] how did u make out?