Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 PM

Default trout fishing near calgary

new to calgary, i have to fish from shore and was wondering how to get to bearspaw reservoir and if i could fish from shore? any other places to go close to calgary, just for the day?(after the thaw)
Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 PM

The Bow River is one of the best trout rivers in the world. Fish Creek Park in the SE is a good place to start, and anywhere down stream of that fishes well, including through the winter when it's warm enough. Do you spin cast, fly fish, or both?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM

The bow river is a great place to go wicked trout fishery, other lakes outside of calgary that carry trout are Mclean Pond, Dewitts Pons, Chain Lakes, Sibbald lake and pnd. Few good stocked lakes that you can get good fishing from shore.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 PM

Generally speaking, with the Bow, anywhere is ok, but it's better downstream from Calgary. Few really close places I would try... at the dog park at the east end of Southland Drive just past Deerfoot, or where the Deerfoot extension crosses the Bow going towards highway 2 and the okotoks turn off. The Sheep River and Highwood river just south of the city are nice too.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Hey guys,

I fished bow only once for the first time last spring,
everyone is talking about Calgary and down the stream, how is fishing right under the bridge in Cochrane area ?, when is the best time to hit that area and what works in the upper bow ?
We went there last spring, and caught nothing, I also talked to guys in a jet boat that were fishing up the stream, the entire morning they caught only 2 small rainbows, is that common for that location ?, is the fishing better past Calgary? , I would like to try my luck this year , just dreaming about hooking on to some brown trout.
any pointers?

Cheers.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 PM

The sewage plant in Calgary fertilizes the Bow so it is much more productive downstream of Calgary. There is more fish and they are bigger as you move below the sewage outflow. Not pretty, but it's the truth.