Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2007, 10:50 PM
flashers vs u/w camera

Default flashers vs u/w camera

kicking around the idea of purchasing a flasher or underwater camera. Aqua-view vs Marcum vs Vexliar. Have never used any of them. Pros/cons?
Which would be best for both open water and hard water fishing. Targeting mainly pike, perch and walleye.
Thanks for any input.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Sniperwolf

Personally I'd say you want to go with an underwater camera, maximum depth youll be fishing is 50 feet. Sure guys use flashers at that depth, but as a whole they are are meant for real deep water, like targeting lakers.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Logan

If you ask me a flasher is a tool and a camera is a toy.... The flasher will help you locate fish in any water condition and at any depth and allow you to target suspended fish. Do not get me wrong cameras are fantastic tools but unless your fishing in gin clear water and fish are swimming in your cameras frame then you could be missing out on fish.

Now if you wanna get fancy and but the 2, the flasher will help you locate the fish and then you use the camera to find the right presentation you will be a fish slayer.

I myself use a Marcum LX-1 flasher and its fantastic, it was $300 at the Fishin Hole and they had a $50us mail in rebate when I bought it so there was no choice over a Vex. The Vex was about $150 more, had 200watts less. Vex's are proven tools but I think Marcum is the same if not better technology at a lower price. I have used a Vex and found the Marcum to have better separation at the bottom depths, and the Marcum has a zoom mode to it too, it will zoom in on the bottom 5ft. And like I said $300.

A Marcum VX1 Flasher is $300 and a Marcum VS250 camera is $199.99 so you could essentially get a Flasher AND Camera for the price of JUST a Vex flasher if you really wanted....but then again it is easy for me to spend someone elses money :rollin
Old 01-29-2007, 02:33 PM
staytuned

I like the Aqua-vu but, it has many limitations & can be a hassle. Purchasing a flasher this winter was the best thing I ever did. I totally agree that a guy should have them both. I bought a Marcum LXi-3 & absolutely love it!!! If you like jigging, then you must get a flasher. If you like sitting in the hut all day, or checking on what your bait looks like under the tip ups, then get a camera. Maybe this sounds kinda far fetched but, as cool as the camera is, I think it spooks fish, even if you hold it above them. Any opinions?
Old 01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
kellyandbeth

Got Kelly a aqua-vu for christmas and we love it, it doesn't spook the fish at all. Even had a jack try to take it. We drill 3 holes put the camera in the middle and then watch on of the hooks. You can see fish for quite some way and then see them more in detail when they do get closer. It never bugged the whites, perch or jacks that we have seen yet, and kelly is always spinning it around looking for other fish.
I like the camera, ours has led lights so you can use it at a lake as deep as burntstick, in the summer and can even troll with it.
Beth
Old 01-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Home Wreaker

Cameras are only good for ice fishing .And are worth buy just for that.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:03 PM
staytuned

I like using the camera in the boat. I don't troll with it, but its great to look at things like bottom composition & how deep the weeds are. I even have markings on my camera cable every 5 feet to easily tell how deep things are. Its always in the boat, just in case.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM
bacon grease

Please explain to me what a 'flasher' is. Understand the camera but what the heck is a flasher?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Re: flashers vs u/w camera

bacon grease..... take a look here

www.vexilar.com/