Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Banned

Default Oilers and Flames 2017/18 predictions

Let's have some predictions for our two teams .

head to head
conference
of all teams , who owns the cup this year
Old 10-01-2017, 02:19 PM

I hate to say this, but I think the oilers are gonna be better than the flames.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Banned

...I sure hate to say so, 'cause i'm a die hard fan of the flaming c, but think i'm leaning to Edmonton being hard to beat.

here we are, not even into the opening game and jumping out of the flames boat already.......shame!
Old 10-01-2017, 05:13 PM

I'm a Flames fan since they moved here from Atlanta. My prediction is that the Oilers have a good shot at the cup this year. The Flames are going to be a bottom 10 team, with another gut wrenching season of lousy inconsistent goal tending. Nothing would make me happier than to be dead wrong about my prediction on the Flames. I'd be pleased to see the Oilers have a great year, as being a Flames fan does not require me to be a hater.

It would be nice to have a good season from the Flames to watch, before King and the Evil Dwarf Bettman move them to Seattle.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-01-2017, 05:20 PM

I've been an Oilers fan since 1973. That said I think the flames have one the best defense cores in the league and will compete hard with the Oilers in head to head games. I'm guessing the season series between the two will be split in half.

Over-all points Edomonton 107. Calgary 89. I'd love to watch a battle of Alberta next spring.

Stanley cup final. Penguins and Oilers. Penguins win in 7. 2018-19 will be the Oilers year to hoist the holy grail we call Stanley!

Bw
Old 10-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Not a lot of excitement based upon lame pre season.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-01-2017, 05:42 PM

Seriously, bottom ten, 89 points? I feel alot of you guys are judging the Flames based on their preseason. Colorado went 6-0 in pre-season last year.....

Even if their goaltending is equal, their defence is better and so are their forwards. The Oilers have alot of top end talent and less depth, I'll go with 104 pts for Calgary, 102 for Edmonton.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Seriously, bottom ten, 89 points? I feel alot of you guys are judging the Flames based on their preseason. Colorado went 6-0 in pre-season last year.....

Even if their goaltending is equal, their defence is better and so are their forwards. The Oilers have alot of top end talent and less depth, I'll go with 104 pts for Calgary, 102 for Edmonton.
They do have a great defensive line up, and I'm hoping you are right and they have a great season. What I have seen from the last couple of seasons though, is with poor goal tending, their offense really suffers from a lack of confidence, they are afraid of letting it hang out and then getting burned because their man between the pipes can't back their play.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-01-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:

And that goes double for me!

Also.... oilers suck
Old 10-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Wrong again this year. I never said told you so after last years thread, I won't this year either......
Old 10-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Ah.... I see that TCanuck is seeing the light..... is it possible that ONE Shames fan may not be delusional....?

Doubtful.

The mighty Oil are going to dominate the fools from Cowville.

You boys and your post flood dump of a rink should prepare for ALOT of sad sackness.

Go mighty Oil!!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-01-2017, 08:01 PM

oil will just make the playoffs because Mcdavid will be out injured again for part of the season...calgary has no chance.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:28 PM

Flames are going to live and die again this year with their goaltending. Is Mike Smith going to be the answer? I'm doubtful, but will see. On paper, they have arguably the best d-corp in the league. Frankly, Brodie, Gio, Hamonic and Hamilton are all good enough that they'd be on the top d pairing in Edmonton. That said, their d has actually looked sort of shaky this preseason in the couple Flames games I watched. That said, I don't put much thought into preseason and I'm sure their d-corp is going to be studly all year.

As for the Oil, barring no serious injuries, I think the Oilers are going to be fighting the Ducks all year for top of the Pacific division.

Speaking of which, Pacific division is pretty weak this year. You have the Oilers on the upswing, and the Ducks are still good as ever. Then Flames on the upswing as well, but questionable goaltending (and at times, offence), and the Sharks are on the downswing, but still formidable. Then there's a giant power gap, and then I'd say the 'Yotes might make a fair jump this year, but their offence is highly questionable. Kings are WAY on the downswing, and I wouldn't be shocked if they finished in the bottom 5 of the NHL. Canucks are a mess. Golden Knights are a giant question mark, but likely going to be garbage.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:41 PM

Oilers finish 4-5 in west. Oilers in to west final.
Calgary, 7-8 in west. Playoff bound. Leave it there. Anything can happen in playoffs (Nashville).
Old 10-02-2017, 09:24 AM

Jagr signs with FLAMES!

Versteeg - Bennett - Jags

Unreal Third Line
Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 AM

Have to hand it to Brad Treliving. Hell of a GM. Has gotten Hamilton, Hamonic, Jagr, Elliot, Versteeg, Mike Smith and the list goes on, all for practically nothing.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Have to hand it to Brad Treliving. Hell of a GM. Has gotten Hamilton, Hamonic, Jagr, Elliot, Versteeg, Mike Smith and the list goes on, all for practically nothing.
As an Oil fan it's painful how good a job he's doing. I was hoping I'd see Jagr in an Oil jersey had visions of him on the pp with McDavid.

I'm thinking anybody picking the Flames to finish over the oil is on glue ... they're going to do well tho as long as the tender stays healthy.

Oil will dominate the battle of Alberta .... Pens win the cup.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Hamilton and Hamonic both cost a 1st and two 2nds, that's far from practically nothing. The rest are worth about what he paid for them...

Should make for an interesting battle of Alberta, strength vs. strength. My money is on the Oilers though.

Anything less than playing well into June will be a disappointment for the Oilers. It may take another year yet before they're hoisting a Cup, but I like their chances of making it to the Conference finals or even the Cup final this year. I think they have the roster to do it, but lots of chips have to fall into place along the way.

Making the playoffs would be my goal if I were Flames fan. Being the bubble team that just misses out and then drafts mid round is the worst case scenario.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
I was hoping I'd see Jagr in an Oil jersey had visions of him on the pp with McDavid.
As an Oil fan, I'm glad to see him in Calgary!

I watched him live last year, and there is NO WAY he can keep up with McDavid, Draisaitl, etc... on the power play, or at any time for that matter. I'm not sure he crossed his own blueline during the game either.

The last thing the Oilers need is to get older, slower, and worse in their own zone...
Old 10-02-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
As an Oil fan, I'm glad to see him in Calgary!

I watched him live last year, and there is NO WAY he can keep up with McDavid, Draisaitl, etc... on the power play, or at any time for that matter. I'm not sure he crossed his own blueline during the game either.

The last thing the Oilers need is to get older, slower, and worse in their own zone...
Don't get me wrong lol I have no illusions about him. He's a better winger than anybody they have than Drai by the numbers though.

Him out front on the pp. Even 2nd until. Can't leave him there. Still an elite player.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Don't get me wrong lol I have no illusions about him. He's a better winger than anybody they have than Drai by the numbers though.

Him out front on the pp. Even 2nd until. Can't leave him there. Still an elite player.
At this point in his career, I'd beg to differ lol.

I guess we're going to find out...
Old 10-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Still though 46 points and a plus 2 at 45 years of age is impressive. Neat to still see him playing.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Flames will be good this yr. #1 or 2 defence in the league and if gulutzan can get em going, they'll score. Monaghan and Johnny will have to be +80 point guys for em. They have the goalie they need. Smith won't see as much puck as he did in Arizona
They'll be first or second in division
Edmonton will have to keep an eye on the locker room. It could implode. 2 guys making all that making all that money and really not much else scoring. They'll run mcJesus and draisatl on the same line, and they'll be done. Plus they need a good backup goalie. Talbot can't play 65+ games
Old 10-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I'm just going off the Corsi numbers.

Put him in the slot with the puck ... aside from Drai and McDavid ... who do the Oilers have that's better?

I'm not getting into how he's getting there though lol.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Flames will be good this yr. #1 or 2 defence in the league and if gulutzan can get em going, they'll score. Monaghan and Johnny will have to be +80 point guys for em. They have the goalie they need. Smith won't see as much puck as he did in Arizona
They'll be first or second in division
Edmonton will have to keep an eye on the locker room. It could implode. 2 guys making all that making all that money and really not much else scoring. They'll run mcJesus and draisatl on the same line, and they'll be done. Plus they need a good backup goalie. Talbot can't play 65+ games
I'll agree. Great defense.

Speaking of money didn't Johhny hold out for money and under perform already? He's had 80 points once playing in collage.

The whole league is hoping they run Drai and McDavid on the same line. Cause what if Drai is legit. That #1 defense is going to be working over time to keep up.... or rather turning around and trying to catch up.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Still though 46 points and a plus 2 at 45 years of age is impressive. Neat to still see him playing.
The guy can put the puck in the net, there's no doubt about that.

The stats are misleading though, especially the +/-. Being a +2 isn't all that hard when you only play on the power play and you're never on the ice for defensive zone faceoffs.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:25 PM

For ten years, Oilers fans could always comfort themselves with the "fact" that on paper, the Oilers would finish above Calgary in the standings with a superior lineup. Of course, that happened only twice (IIRC), and even last season Calgary had bumped Edm down to a wildcard position at one point.

Lessons learned. If the Flames are as good on D as everyone seems to think, the goaltending becomes more consistent, the offense improves, and the work ethic is maintained, who knows?

Okay, I know I'm hedging, so Oilers 100+ points, Flames 92.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:17 PM

Forget the Coilers and Flamers.... GO LEAFS GO
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K3OGH View Post
Forget the Coilers and Flamers.... GO LEAFS GO
Shush....a fifty year nap shouldn't be disturbed.