Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 AM

Default Dewitt's stocking????

For an easy evening trip it can be fun with the kids but this year it seems to have not been stocked. I checked the "wild alberta" website and it says it has but the day we went out not a fish was seen or caught by 8 anglers. Anyone have some info?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:54 AM

Default dewy

Wasnt stocked this year. Winterkill took care of whatever was left. Check other posts about dewitt on this forum for more info.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 AM

...gov stocking report says 1000 21cm RNTR were planted sometime in May. Hope this helps.

Remi
Old 06-28-2008, 07:28 PM

Dewitts has been stocked.I was there early this morning and there was alot of fish feeding.They're only about 6 inches but willing to take a fly.It didn't winter kill either,last years hold overs are 12 to 14 inches and there are a few that are much bigger but you have to get past the little guys first.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:04 AM

I was there on tuesday, It has been stocked twice this year but they seem to be quite picky, in about 7 hours we only caught 4 fish...may wait till august or so to go back there..
Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM

yeah i have been out there a number of times this year and been skunked every time. I was going to hold off till sometime in August as well. The crossfield pond has been really good last few weeks though. My cousin caught a 4 lb monster out of there the other day.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:49 AM

Default Crossfield Pond???

I was looking for somewhere close to take the kids fishing for a few hours and was thinking of Dewitt's, but I haven't heard of the Crossfield pond. Where exactly is it?

Thanks
Sean
Old 07-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
I was there on tuesday, It has been stocked twice this year but they seem to be quite picky, in about 7 hours we only caught 4 fish...may wait till august or so to go back there..
We tried last week and only saw one fish caught. It is a very hit and miss fishery.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 PM

If you fly fish you can't go wrong with a beadhead hairs ear or an olive scud.Cast out and let it sink,then use a slow retrieve of a few inches with a few pauses,works great for me.If you don't fly fish use a casting bubble about three feet above the fly.I've seen a few people doing that with good success on Dewitts.

I'm going to head there this evening to kill a couple of hours and to escape this hot house.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calloway99 View Post
I was looking for somewhere close to take the kids fishing for a few hours and was thinking of Dewitt's, but I haven't heard of the Crossfield pond. Where exactly is it?

Thanks
Sean
There's actually two ponds by Crossfield. There is one that was/is run by the gas plant, but access to it was limited and you at least used to have to ask at the plant to fish it. The crossfield reservoir that is stocked by the province is just south of the Crossfield rodeo grounds (just west of the town). Haven't been to either in years, but I used to have a lot of fun at both catching little guys when I was a kid.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Anybody been fishing Dewitts lately? Was thinking about going for a little evening-night bite after work if it has started to heat up at all yet??? Things have still been pretty good at the Crossfield pond (private one) but i was hoping for some steady action like Dewitts was last year???
Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 AM

I just wanted to revive this thread.

I'm thinking of heading out to Dewitt's tonight after work. Does anyone have any advice or reports on how the fishing is lately? I've never been out there b4, do spinners and worms work, or do I need something different?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustard73 View Post
I just wanted to revive this thread.

I'm thinking of heading out to Dewitt's tonight after work. Does anyone have any advice or reports on how the fishing is lately? I've never been out there b4, do spinners and worms work, or do I need something different?

Thanks in advance.
I have been there a couple of times in the last 2 weeks and the fishing has been decent. The best thing to use is velvetta cheese on a pickeral rig and you will catch tons. I find that boring so I usually chuck spoons and spinners and fly fish. I have had really good luck with size 7 and 8 len thompson red and white and 5 of diamonds. No luck with my spinners but mind you I do not have any panther martins in my tackle box. When you see the fish rising the dry fly action is awesome. The one day I went from about 1pm to 6pm and caught around 10 fish 6 on spoons and 4 on the fly. If you do not have a fly rod another good way is to use your spinning outfit and tie a fly to your mono with a few small split shots about 12 inches up from the hook and use a medium size bobber. I have had good luck with that as well because most trout feed sub surface around 80 percent of the time. Hope this helps and good luck and have fun.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:01 AM

What are the average size fish coming out of here now? Sounds like the bite is on a little better than a month ago but are the fish decent now?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM

Most i have caught are between 6 and 10 inches with one being a whopping 15.