Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Great Bear Lake, NWT

Well, looks like the final details have all been sorted out and on July 17 I will be leaving bright and early for the 12 hour drive to Fort Providence, NWT to meet up with my bud who lives there. Bright and early the next morning, my bud and I will be headed for Wrigley with the Jet Boat in tow where we will meet up with the rest of the group and other 2 boats. And from there our Great Bear Lake Trip will officially kick off....

From Wrigley we will make the 4 hour run to the Blackwater River, make a fuel drop, then continue another 3 hours to Tulita. Then it is 110km up the Great Bear River to Deline....then a shot down the lake to where we will set up camp and fish 7 days for those huge Lakers that Great Bear is Famous for...and hopefully get a chance to hook into some good Grayling....

This will be my First trip to Great Bear and I am Stoked.....especially with the method we are using to get there!!!

I have had the opportunity to fish Cambridge Bay for Char, and the Lower Mackenzie River for Walleye, Pike, Grayling, and Whitefish.....Fishing the North is a real treat, and can't wait for this trip!!

Going to have to take a Ton of pictures to share on the Board...Anyone else have the opportunity to fish Great Bear?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:35 PM

What a great sounding trip. Man am I jealous! I had an opportunity to fish in the Territories before while on a caribou hunt. To say that the fishing spoils you would be an understatement. I hope to hear more about your plans at the Spuce Grove rodeo.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:38 PM

Hi Guys,
Boy......I'm envious as well! I used to guide on Great Bear Lake back in the 1970's for three summers. It's something I never quit thinking about. I worked at a lodge in Ford Bay up in the northwest corner of the lake, and fished all of the area around Smith Arm & west. The lake is unbelievably big and just as unforgiving, but you are going at absolutely the best time of year. Expect mostly very calm water......just like glass all day long. A bit later, especially the last 2 weeks of August, strong winds are common and the waves get HUGE! Usually around the time you will be there, those big lakers start to roll on the surface about 2 - 3:00 in the afternoon & it can be amazing. The water is so clear that you can see down amazing distances. We used to locate outpost camps along the lake (away from the lodge) by flying along the lake & picking the spots where we saw the most big (40+ lbs) fish. The grayling fishing is fantastic as well. Take lots of panther martins &/or mepps spinners. They used to be deadly & you can almost always watch the fish take them. I think anything fairly small & shiny would work. We never used fly rods when I was up there, but I expect you could do well with them as well. Most of the fish were caught below the surface, and a small grayling up there would be a trophy anywhere in Alberta. Many are close to being record fish anywhere else in the world. Re: lake trout, my personal largest was 57 1/2 pounds and was pretty exciting for a young fellow from the Alberta prairies. At the time it was less than 2 pounds under the world record. You won't find much for pike in the lake, but probably all of the rivers running into the lake have pike of just about every size. I don't rmember catching any pike over about 15 lbs. in the rivers in the area I was familiar with. Most of the guests that came to fish wanted to catch big lake trout & grayling. In the late summer we made trips to the arctic coast for char, but that's a whole different story. Hope I haven't bored you.......Have a terrific trip & let us know how you made out!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Great Bear

I worked at Artic Cicle Lodge for the summer for the summer of '88. And what a summer it was. We had lots of huge lakes ( 71 pounds was the biggest that was caught and released) grayling and big pike. I believe 36 pounds was the biggest norhthern that summer. Fished for Char on the Coppermine River. The largest that year was 27 pounds. Best fishing I ever had was on the Coppermine. Fast water and BIG fish = a whole lot of fun. Even waterskied on the lake a few times. What a summer. Enjoy yourself as it will be a blast!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM

WOW....I should have waited a bit to post.....you guys got me even more hyped up for this trip. Like I had mentioned, I fished for Char in Cambridge Bay, and so far they were one of the toughest (in terms of fight) fish I have ever caught! My biggest was 21lbs....I can't wait for those GBL Lakers! I have caught lakers in Nunavut and Sask....but so far the biggest has been about 6lbs, so this is going to be a real treat....and grayling, well I have a feeling these are going to give the largest ones I have caught in the Little Smokey a run for their money

The North is Truly a magical place, thanks for all the info....and I will definitely be sharing pics when I am back....now I only have to get through the next 3 weeks of work!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:42 PM

Well, I am back, and finally had some time to post a few pics....The trip was amazing!!!! From Edmonton to great Bear lake I logged 4450km....almost 1000km of that was by jet boat....amazing scenery and great people up there.

Fishing was "ok"...I mean in terms of numbers it was unbelievable with the average being somewhere between 10-12lbs...unfortunately I didn't hook into any of the true monsters up there....I think weather definitely played a role, system after system rolled through the area which made for short trips on the lake, then seeking shore when the wind picked up....

Over all...an amazing trip....one that we will repeat undoubtedly...

Any way here are a few pics....I am off again next week to fish the beginning of the Mackenzie River and perhaps venture right to the mouth of Great Slave and try for some monster Pike....

Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned

Wow fantastic stuff AB great photos of a beutifull country. Thx a ton for sharing a definate on the to do list in my world.. And good to see you all made it safe,, Thx..
Old 07-30-2008, 04:43 PM

I have eagerly awaited your pics!!.....looks like a heck of an adventure. Wish i had a river boat and the know how to put a trip like that toghether! Beautiful coloration on those fish!. Im thinking of doing a laker charter on Cold Lake this fall.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 AM

Default NWT whitetail

i love the pics but i love alberta even more.
i really think NWT whitetail would suit u nicely
Old 07-31-2008, 12:32 AM

Great Pics man!!!
Gotta love the scenery in the North Country
If me & my buddies could get our Sh*** together that will be our next trip in the next few years.
I was up at Lake Athabasca end of June. Caught some good Lakers but no Monsters on the trip. Lots of FUNN though
Myself and the same friends are off to do the Inside Passage in BC, from Rupert to Hardy then down to Campbell River and I am in need of a new rain suit.
I have checked out a few Gore Tex ones but I haven't come across anything I like just yet. I was wondering what make the pants you have on are ?
THANKS for any info!!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutpirate View Post
i love the pics but i love alberta even more.
i really think NWT whitetail would suit u nicely
Ya, I am an Alberta Boy born and raised, but there is something about the North that gets in your blood....maybe NWTmoose might be more suitable

Drake:

The Jet boat trip was unbelievable (made the trip in itself), the scenery along the Great Bear River is amazing...Definitely a trip that you need to do with someone experienced with the area and with Jet Boats...I am headed back up there next week to fish the Mackenzie and make plans for next years trip...Maybe the East Arm of Great Slave???? Got to catch a 30+ one of these trips...

Rigg Dogg:

My Rain Gear is from Bass Pro Shop....their PRO QUALIFIER Series....and they are AWESOME...light, durable, and warm...very comfortable to wear...I would definitely recommend them.....PM me if you need any other info about them...

A few more pics: