Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

Default Need Recommendation - Where to buy quality travel/storage tarp in Calgary area?

I've got a snap on tarp for my Lund that's great for overnight and light duty, but I need a fitted canvas tarp for trailering and storage.

Any info out there on where to go for the best price and quality would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Waxy
Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Tarp

Id try Sew Wut .... South of Glenmore East of blackfoot

does alot of work for the tournament guys ....
Old 08-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Banned

Thought I'd update this one while I'm at it -

I looked into Sew Wut and a few other places about having a tarp made. Prices were around $1000 give or take, and just about everyone was booked up until fall at least. Then I got a PM from Rattler here about tarps.

I gave him a call and we talked about options for a travel tarp. His recommendation was simply to modify the snap on cover I already have seeing as how it was a good quality Lund OEM tarp. I stopped by his place to see how he modified his, and I was impressed. He made a very good point about not having to worry about the sides of the tarp or the bungee cords buffetting in the wind and chaffing the paint with a snap on tarp.

So, I took the boat and tarp in to Fibrenew where Rattler works and had them modify my tarp for me. Essentially they tightened it up for an exact fit(they stretch over time), added snaps for a three pole system to support the tarp, and two vents to help draw out moisture and even out the pressure. I also had him modify it to fit over my RAM mount for the trolling motor, add a soft fabric (the name of it escapes me) that gets sewn onto the underside of tarp and protects the consoles from chaffing due to the wind, and make me a "walk through curtain".

Rattler is great to deal with, he's a fisherman too, and he knows what works. The quality of the sewing work was excellent, as were the materials. It was little on the pricey side, but well worth it I think for the improvement. The tarp is now rock solid at 110kmh and I know everything is protected, on top of that, I have no more worries about water pooling when it's stored.

It's kinda hard to take pics of the mods, but I attached a few pics of the tarp.

Waxy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04986 Resized.jpg (72.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Front Pole Resized.jpg (79.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Tarp Close Up2 Resized.jpg (89.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Tarp From the Front Resized.jpg (94.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Tarp Vent Resized.jpg (61.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Tarp Rear View Resized.jpg (88.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Walk Through Curtain Resized.jpg (60.3 KB, 15 views)