Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2008, 01:55 AM

Default My GF needs a fishing rod/reel to call her own.

Hey guy's

I'm looking at getting my Gf a new fishing rod to call her own. She wants a purdy one LOL! I would like to get her into one of them pinkish ugly stix combos, or maybe just the rod and I'll find a suitable reel. I think part of the money from the pink ugly sticks goes to breast canser which is a good cause.

Is there anything else out there you guys think would make a suitable rod for her? Unfortunatly it has to be "purdy" or "pretty" whatever.

I'm more worried about functional for many different applications. Most the fishing she'll be doing will be on the NSR and a 6'6" ugly fits relatively good because I know it will last. It wouldn't hurt to get her into something a little more sensitive though.

Thoughts?
Recommendations?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 AM

heres a couple you might wanna look into.

https://server21.lfchosting.com/TFH1...03&GOZ=31&D=03

https://server21.lfchosting.com/TFH1...03&GOZ=31&D=03
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Banned

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Seriously, I would buy her the best quality rod and reel you can afford, real nice gear is always "pretty". As she gets more and more into fishing, she'll appreciate the quality of her tackle more than the appearance, and it won't take long. Make sure you explain to her why you bought it - that you want her to have the best gear because she's capable of using it and you know she'll look after it and appreciate it.

Trust me, I have a hard time getting my hands on my #1 jigging rod after my wife tried it out!

Waxy

P.S. It's also another rod that you can use.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 PM

I would'nt get the GF a rod thats too sensitive...

All joking aside, I would stick with qaulity gear myself. Nopthings worse than learning on low end gear and having all kinds of problems that you don't need.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:32 PM

Talking

Danni just got a new rod from Wholesale about a month ago, she was originally going to get the same Quantum set up i have, but the sales man talked us into the Phfulger. It's a very good rod and reel, IM8 graphite and and 8 ball bearing real, very smooth, and it was only $65. It also a pink, silver, and black rod and reel. I think it's a womens rod as the make a pink one and a blue one. not sure of the differences though.

The only thing that maybe a disadvantage is that shes caught just as many fish as i have and has also caught a 4 lbs Walleye and 30 lbs Pike, both bigger than i have caught. (i wasn't there for the Pike as she was fishing with her dad and they dropped his camara to the bottom of the lake so i'm not sure about the Pike)

But it seems like a very sensitive and good quality rod for the money. It's a 1 piece 6' medium action rod.

Dustin

Last edited by OutwardBound; 07-28-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Has she fished before or just want to try it with you? If the latter, get her any Canadian Tire special. No point in spending bux if she ends up saying "take me back to the beach. I want a Pino Colada". If she is still into fishing AND is still your girlfriend next year, THEN you can buy her something better.

I bought my wife a set of Canadian Tire golf clubs and am glad I did. She has used them twice in 9 years. They collect dust nicely in the corner of the garage.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:50 AM

Quantum QXL's are good looking,and dont break the bank. variety of lenghts/actions in spinning.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks guys. I'm intending to get her into something she'll like and lasts. It will get plenty of use money's not a factor. she'll go fishing anytime she can so a quality rod is probably where it's at. Funny thing is i've got ten+ rod's and i wouldn't say any of them are quality! Always just made do I guess, why fix something that works right!?

I've seen a few lady's rods now. Any idea what the difference in a lady's rod would be?

Will be checking out the pflugher.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 PM

Fisher,

I've been fishing for a long time and thought the lady rods were gimicks, and like Dustin said when we went into wholsesale I planned on getting outfitted with the same rod. But they were out, and then I tried some other similar shimano's etc and they seemed all heavy, too long and the grips were cramping my hands. The associate went and grabbed the pfluger and with one grab and fake cast I wouldn't put it down! The grip/cork was thinner and longer, with the rod a bit shorter and lighter with the im-8 graphite, and it's a one piece so it was overall lighter and nicer to handle. Some of the women's rods are junk but this rod is awesome! The sensitivity is amazing, light, I can fish all day now without carpel tunnel syndrom and the reel is so smooth it's a joy to fish with. Plus it does look 'purdy' not that I've really ever been into that kinda thing but I was impressed with it. The best part is that the boys won't touch it and it seems to be blessed as I've outfished the boys every outing so far!!

Danni
Old 07-29-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Thanks guys. I'm intending to get her into something she'll like and lasts. It will get plenty of use money's not a factor. she'll go fishing anytime she can so a quality rod is probably where it's at. Funny thing is i've got ten+ rod's and i wouldn't say any of them are quality! Always just made do I guess, why fix something that works right!?

I've seen a few lady's rods now. Any idea what the difference in a lady's rod would be?

Will be checking out the pflugher.
If you have ten rods, can't she use one of those until you see if she likes it? God, rods don't have to be THAT personal and specific to catch a few fish.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
If you have ten rods, can't she use one of those until you see if she likes it? God, rods don't have to be THAT personal and specific to catch a few fish.
Now if what she really wants and what you are after is to buy her a present, just go buy something pink or red. LOL But think twice about marrying this girl if she refuses to use one of your ten rods and demands you buy her something special. LOL

oh god, I just quoted myself. Didn't mean to do that. Wanted to edit LOL
Old 07-29-2008, 03:24 PM

I picked up a Daiwa reel last year, 10 bearings, very smooth casting and a team Daiwa graphite rod. They're blue but 'purdy' especially with a fish on the end of the line. My other fav is an Ugly stick and Quantum reel combo. I think it's got eight bearings. The Quantum has a pearl finish on it. Your lady would probably consider it 'pretty.' Good quality reel though.
Anyway, there's a female perspective. Quality = pretty
Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Just dont let her see the Purdy and shinny Quantium Energy spinning reel Mine seen it and it ended up setting me back 200 bones lol. But if you are looking to spend some money thats a good reel its shiney for the ladys but its also a very smooth, slik reel i ended up getting a Catilyst as well cause i liked hers so much just couldnt bring my self to buying somthing so shinny and rainbow like lol...
Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 AM

Default only okuma

anyone who flyfishes should check out an okuma H-56 Helios at wholesale. they r well worth the money and more
Old 07-30-2008, 02:32 AM

How's about a Quantum Catalyst rod.... super sensitive and very durable. I've got a couple in different weights and lengths and have never had a problem with quality. I've got Quantum Array for reels on all of them and again, never a quality issue and the combo is less than $150.

Last edited by gonefishin; 07-30-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Thank for the input folks! Very helpful, well most of you.

I'll tell ya right now. I'm CHEAP lol or as i'd call it "smart when spending". I spend much of my time looking for deals not what I WANT. With that said, I've got ten+ CHEAP rods. She's tried a few of them but I wouldn't dare buy her any of them. Most of them are fairly specific as to what type of fishing a person would want to use them for.

If I'm only going to get her 1 rod it has to be fairly functional. I'd like to get her into something of quality too, I'm more than willing to get her into something that costs more than any combo I have. This pfluger sounds like a catch and a good deal but for on the river or trolling I'm not sure it will cut it. At $65 dollars maybe I'll get her two set-ups. I really hope she likes it as much Danni. Only thing is that I couldn't find it at wholesale or the fishing hole the other day. Thanks again for the help folks!!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:58 PM

I just sent you a pm but disregard that as I see that you've searched for it. One more thing tho is that my rod is fully capable of being used for trolling and river fishing, just load it with heavier line for those uses and lighter for the walleys and smaller fishies.

Danni
Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 AM

I bought a cheap Shimano combo at the sports store - got a free hat, and it works great for me(see pic ). I also have an ugly stick as backup. I reccomend something on the cheaper side as well, b/c if the rod breaks or she isnt interested anymore, then your not stuck fishing with a pink rod...

Last edited by Artemis; 08-03-2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Pic change
Old 08-03-2008, 01:24 PM

Default Pflueger

I bought a Pflueger combo reel/rod at Canadian Tire and it's a GREAT setup.
It's regular price was $80.00 and was on sale for $39.95. The rod is a IM7 6' 6" graphite med action stick with a Pflueger "Endeavour reel" (6 bearing, Anti-Reverse, etc...). The rod has pretty decent feel too and is nice when jigging for Walleye.

Awesome little combo for so little money... I should have bought about 3 or 4 of them and used them as extra spinning outfits for backups, guests or kids but they were all gone two days after the flyer came out......

Can't go wrong with the Berkley "Lightning Rods" either.... Can feel the lightest of taps with them and anything over a 1 or 2 lbs feels like a 'Shark', especially when using the 'light or light/medium" action rods !

My favorite setup is my Quantum TS PTi 30 series Reel (about as big as most 20 series reels), paired with a Catalyst Med/Heavy IM8 Graphite Rod but that will set you back a whole lot more than $40.00 bucks.....

Cheers,

/FC....