Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-30-2017, 08:57 AM

Default New scope surprise semi target turrets

I bought a new gun and they would only sell it with the scope. I didn't really look at the scope because I planned on getting a better one.
Once I checked out the scope I was surprised to find semi target turrets
It's a weaver Kaspa 3x9x40 BDC. I want to hit 10" steel out to 600 yards.

Can these turrets be turned and hold there right setting or is it a waste of time?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:14 AM

What is your definition of "semi target turrets"?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 AM

A turret that has a cap that is removed to expose a finger adjustable turret that can be set to zero.
So it is ment to be dialed for drop.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
A turret that has a cap that is removed to expose a finger adjustable turret that can be set to zero.
So it is ment to be dialed for drop.
That type of turret is used on many hunting scopes these days, just because they have a zero reference, and they can be adjusted with fingers, does not mean that they are intended to be used to dial in compensation for trajectory in the field. It's more a case of not requiring tools to adjust the scope, and having a reference , so that people are less likely to be confused while adjusting the zero of the scope. Scopes that are meant to to be adjusted for windage and elevation in the field normally have exposed turrets, so there is no cover that has to be removed, and that can be lost in the field.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 AM

If that scope is tracking well and holds the zero, you could use the turrets and dial your elevation. Try it and see. My concern would be extreme cold and the grease they use inside?
Old 07-30-2017, 10:11 AM

In this country I need all weather equipment. I won't dial for wind and I only need about 12moa for elevation. Maybe I'll carry an extra scope with rings on it to the range in case the kaspa gets broke.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
In this country I need all weather equipment. I won't dial for wind and I only need about 12moa for elevation. Maybe I'll carry an extra scope with rings on it to the range in case the kaspa gets broke.

My varmint rifles all have exposed target turrets, and they all do fine in rain or snow, or in the cold. Its just a matter of using quality optics.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:25 AM

I have the 4x16x44 weaver kaspa on a 6.5 cm vanguard,it has the same turret.
It doesn't say anything in the instructions about using them as a turret but I should try it sometime to see if it is reliable(but honestly I don't think I would trust it).It has the ballistic-x recticle witch does work good out to 400-500 yards if I'm zeroed at 200.
I have a friend that has a leupold(can't remember model) that has the same turret with caps and it seemed to adjust really well and go back to zero,but only played with it a few times.