Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2008, 04:12 PM

Default kokanee fishing setups

will be in an area to fish for kokanee on the long weekend. would like to know more for set up of rigs to fish for them. been along time since i have fished for them back then was using buddy's setup and forgot how he had it setup.
mike
Old 07-27-2008, 04:51 PM

Default I've done

I use a large weight that slipped on the line then had a rubber leader, willow leaf/ford fender and then about 2-4' of line with a wedding ring at the end. It has been a while since I fished for Kokanee but it work last time.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM

thanks man
i think that is the setup my buddy used at least it sounded familiar. now off to stock up on supplies before the weekend lol
thank you mike
Old 07-28-2008, 08:39 PM

Default I agree

with the set up and have had my best luck going as slow as possible. I don't know the formula but 100 ft of line being trolled will not sink anywhere near 100 ft. This is one of the reasons to troll in the figure 8 pattern. It gives the rig a decent chance to sink at a controlled rate.
GOOD LUCK and enjoy
Tony
Old 07-29-2008, 08:06 PM

I caught quite a few kokanee with gold and silver #4 and 6 panther martin spinners when I was a kid. Lately I caught a few off the dock on mara lake with woolly buggers and small streamer patterns.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:41 PM

Use a Ford Fender with a trailing wedding band. Add about an ounce of weight to get it down. Tip the wedding band with 3 or 4 maggots (This is the key to success. No maggots, no action). Troll slow. Very slow. You should just be going fast enough to slowly turn the Ford Fender. There not a big fish, so it is hard to feel the bite with all that tackle.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM

Default Trout

Sorry to Hi-jack but do you think this will work for rainbows in smaller lakes in the rockies?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:14 PM

I have had a little luck using 17# leadcore with about a 50' leader of 10# flourocarbon. I was letting out around seven to eight colours to get deep enough. The only down side to it was the amount of line out caused us to loose a few more fish than we would have liked.