Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 AM

Default Crimson Lake fishing?

How is the fishing here from shore? How about how busy it will be this weekend? Will Cow Lake be better? I remember Kelly and Beth's thread on Cow Lake. How is that lake for fishing and camping? We plan to hit a few streams around there too. We'll show up late Friday and stay Saturday then head to Jasper park, probably Moab Lake if the weather cooperates. It supposed to be cloudy and showers around Jasper for Friday and Saturday so we will do our trip in reverse. The weather around RMH is supposed to be nicer.

No boat or operator's card as yet and we will have 2 young kids with us.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Hunting_Mom View Post
How is the fishing here from shore? How about how busy it will be this weekend? Will Cow Lake be better? I remember Kelly and Beth's thread on Cow Lake. How is that lake for fishing and camping? We plan to hit a few streams around there too. We'll show up late Friday and stay Saturday then head to Jasper park, probably Moab Lake if the weather cooperates. It supposed to be cloudy and showers around Jasper for Friday and Saturday so we will do our trip in reverse. The weather around RMH is supposed to be nicer.

No boat or operator's card as yet and we will have 2 young kids with us.
I camped at Crimson Lake at the beginning of july. There is no fish in crimson itself as far as I know. I asked when I was down there and was told it didn't have any fish and doesn't get stocked. Just south of Crimson (about 5 km's) there is a nice little lake called Twin Lake. Lot's of rainbows. Nothing too big as they are stockers. 2 or 3 docks to fish off of as well.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 AM

There's no fish in Crimson whatsoever.

Shore fishing with kids, I'd recommend Twin Lakes if you're in the area.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Chironomid

Don't know who told you or where you got the idea of fish in Crimson Lake. I've seen so many people fishing in it and I just laugh. I even talked to one guy who told me he caught a 27 pound pike on a elk hair caddis and let it go. Real BS'er that one...

Cow Lake is good right off the day use area boat launch I've seen people slamming perch off that all day long with pickerel rigs.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 PM

The TravelAlberta site has campgrounds listed and one of the attractions is supposed to be fishing.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:20 AM

Default Crimson Fishing

Northern_Hunting_Mom,

Twin Lake about 6 kms. south of Crimson Lake is part of the Crimson Lake Provinicial Park. Perhaps that is were your info is wrong. There are no fish in Crimson and hasn't been for perhaps 40 years. Rainbows did well there though with fish over 8 lbs. caught. Winter kills bad. The lake has been abandoned to the pistons heads that water ski/jet ski and generally are a pain in the butt.
Twin Lake has been illegally stocked with perch. The Govt stocks Brood Stock in Twin as well. Don't eat them - they are full of oil. Feed on dog food.

regards,

Don
Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 PM

Alright guys thanks. If we can go (youngest is sick) we will stay at Chambers Creek, rafting, horseback riding and fishing. We will stop someplace with a beach and swimming for part of the day and maybe a stop at Sylvan Lake water park if the weather cooperates.