Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 PM

Default Unofficial Ruger Precision Rifle Thread

Just opening this thread for everyone to share everything and anything RPR related. Been using mine for a few months and it's a joy to shoot. So share and let's hear what you all have to say. Cheers

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 08-23-2016, 07:39 PM

Got back from the range tonight, it was perfect not a soul there . Been working on loads for my 6.5creedmoor with the new Hornady ELD-M 140's. I think it went very good but there's always room for tinkering. I think I might benefit from some quality match dies. I'm just using regular Redding full length kit right now.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM

I just recently got into long distance shooting myself and picked up a RPR in .308 to get my feet wet, so far I love the gun, still have a lot to learn, these are some of the best groups I've shot with it so far. So far I don't hand load, maybe some day I'll get into it, finding one of the guns favourite loads is also the cheapest match ammo I can get so happy with that.

I shot this at 100 yards with my factory barrel in .308 using Hornady 155 steel match

Shot this 5 shot group (1" squares) breaking in a custom .308 barrel at 100 yards same ammo.

Shot this at 885 yards same factory ammo, this is the furthest and only time I've been with it thus far, was the best of the three groups I did at that distance.

Just upgraded my 6-24 FFP PST to this ATACR 5-25 F1, have only shot at 100 yards with it so far, can't wait to try it out at distance, it's very nice and clear. Also tested some more factory match ammo at 100 that day and found a couple more loads it likes with way better ballistics according to my app vs the 155 I've been using.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:25 AM

Default Nice shooting

Looks like there was some great shooting guys. Glad you guys like your rifles. I have one in .243 and so far I am quite impressed.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM

Default Upgrades

Looks like you replaced the barrel, added a monopod? Thoughts?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:54 PM

Default My upgrades

With my .243 I changed the the grip to a magpul ergo delux and I put on an Alberta Tactical muzzle brake.

It looks like you changed the bolt and shroud. How do you like those upgrades?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:26 PM

I changed the bolt shroud and handle to a Tracer hit light TI shroud with built in tool and bolt knob, both very nice pieces and high quality great place to deal with, also changed my hand guard to a Seekins, attachment system is light years ahead of the stock and has a nice flat bottom for shooting off bags if needed.

Monopod is nice for initial lineup, I then use small rear PRS style bags pushed up against it and squeeze the one bag to adjust height, makes for a nice handle for my off hand. The barrel is a JC custom Barrels, he is out of NB and does unreal work, he profiles, bores, single rifle cuts and hand laps them all in his shop out of high quality blanks, he is becoming more well know all the time as he now has started making barrels full time. Break in was fast with no copper fouling at all when I clean just a bit of black. On the end I have a Insite Arms Heathen brake, had a ATRS and swapped it out, prefer the Heathen, the ATRS is pretty much new in the box if someone needs one.

Besides that atlas V8 bipod and a Ergo grip, it's pretty much set up as I want, have a NF cosine indicator I bought of a guy on the way yet and that's about it for now, just ammo and shoot.

Oh and magpul mags, like them over the metal mags by a landslide, have 10 round and 5 round for it.

Last edited by MrSharp; 08-24-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:37 PM

Too bad. I pulled the one shot, oh well next nice day I can make it to the range will try for a single hole again, if the Mosquitos can leave me alone long enough.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSharp View Post
I changed the bolt shroud and handle to a Tracer hit light TI shroud with built in tool and bolt knob, both very nice pieces and high quality great place to deal with, also changed my hand guard to a Seekins, attachment system is light years ahead of the stock and has a nice flat bottom for shooting off bags if needed.

Monopod is nice for initial lineup, I then use small rear PRS style bags pushed up against it and squeeze the one bag to adjust height, makes for a nice handle for my off hand. The barrel is a JC custom Barrels, he is out of NB and does unreal work, he profiles, bores, single rifle cuts and hand laps them all in his shop out of high quality blanks, he is becoming more well know all the time as he now has started making barrels full time. Break in was fast with no copper fouling at all when I clean just a bit of black. On the end I have a Insite Arms Heathen brake, had a ATRS and swapped it out, prefer the Heathen, the ATRS is pretty much new in the box if someone needs one.

Besides that atlas V8 bipod and a Ergo grip, it's pretty much set up as I want, have a NF cosine indicator I bought of a guy on the way yet and that's about it for now, just ammo and shoot.

Oh and magpul mags, like them over the metal mags by a landslide, have 10 round and 5 round for it.
Looks great and good shooting , is the bolt shroud out of the states or did you get it here in Canada ? I never really knew the rules for ordering and rifle parts from down south and always avoided it.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:02 PM

It's from the US and no problem ordering or them shipping, they actually ship very reasonable too, don't rape you, if you order with PP he will then email you the shipping cost and send a PP invoice for it if you are fine with the cost.

Just google Tracer Hit Light, not sure if I'm allowed to hot link on here.

Very good guy, always responds to messages fast and quality of machining is excellent, shroud fits nice and tight not sloppy.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:15 PM

Default Very Nice MR Sharp

Very nice mods. Looks pretty tacticool. It is also a shooter. Do you mind if i ask how much the sikens handgaurd was? Are you thinking of replacing the buttstock?
Old 08-26-2016, 03:55 PM

I paid $280 plus tax and shipping from CTCS but they are sold out, I do know a place in the US that I found them at and I guess they will ship no problem if you are looking for one.

I honestly don't mind the stock at all, so no plans of changing it at this moment.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 PM

Default Love / Hate

I am of two minds on my stock. Its very comfortable and fits well. It just "pops" sometimes and I have to reset it. I might be doing something wrong with the cam locks. We shall see.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:23 PM

Read the instructions for the stock adjustment closely, the riser cam has to be a certain way, and the LOP shaft also has to be in certain spots to lock proper, mine never moves and the cams don't even have to be super tight if everything is in the right notch when locked.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:25 AM

MarkG - I shoot RPR in 243 and found a company in Utah that was recommended through a RPR Facebook group. they're called Anarchy Outdoors. Aaron, super guy to deal with. After exhausting my search for a Canadian based purchase I went to these guys. They had many seekins forends in stock, brought it to my door for about $290.00 all in. used USPS for shipping(as recommended by other members here).
Old 08-27-2016, 06:03 PM

Anarchy outdoors, that's the place I was referring too, they ship to Canada a guy on CGN just got a handgaurd from them, they also carry the tracer hit light upgrades I do believe.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:49 AM

I too have one in 243. So far so good shows great potential. Not real happy with the trigger though. about 1/6" creep to the break. I can live with it until Timney or Jewell come out with an after market trigger.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:35 PM

Default Aftermarket Trigger

Here is a place that sells triggers for RPR

http://www.jardinc.com/new-page-69-1-1/
Old 09-07-2016, 05:53 PM

Got my bolt shroud in the mail today, nice fast shipping . Gonna put it on later and see how it fits.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:28 PM

Old 09-07-2016, 09:54 PM

Default Very nice

Looks Great
Old 09-08-2016, 01:17 PM

Default Bolt Shroud

Just got my bolt shroud in the mail today. Plain without engraving.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:17 PM

Not Much To Add But A Picture. Keeping my "sponsors" happy

#ruger #leupold #hornaday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruger 1.jpg (96.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-06-2017, 11:01 AM

Default RPR Barrel

I noticed an advert a while ago that was selling replacement barrels 30 inches and 1:10 in 308. Is there an advantage to doing this change? Standard 308 barrel on the RPR is 20 inches 1:10.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM

For you RPR owners... How is the stock tension on the firearms? There is a lot of moving parts back there. Any loose movenments or undesirable play after regular use?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Got back from the range tonight, it was perfect not a soul there . Been working on loads for my 6.5creedmoor with the new Hornady ELD-M 140's. I think it went very good but there's always room for tinkering. I think I might benefit from some quality match dies. I'm just using regular Redding full length kit right now.
I "upgraded" my Redding FL die to a Lee collet neck sizing die and saw a significant improvement in run out and accuracy. Shrunk my 0.75 groups to less than 0.5.

It's a cheap and effective solution. Worth a try.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCalm View Post
For you RPR owners... How is the stock tension on the firearms? There is a lot of moving parts back there. Any loose movenments or undesirable play after regular use?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
The stock is nice and tight on my RPR. Haven't had any issues after a good shoot.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:40 PM

My stock is solid also, once adjusted it has never moved on me.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Not Much To Add But A Picture. Keeping my "sponsors" happy

#ruger #leupold #hornaday
You mis-spelled your "sponsors" name...

Hornady

* there was just one of these rifles in 6.5cm on CGN for $850 with no rear butt stock... Sold in under 3 hrs.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:33 PM

Aaron at Anarchy outdoors has alot of stuff now for the RPR, including the timmney triggers, different bolt shroulds with engraving and without, different makes and styles of bolt knobs including a Titanium