Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2009, 11:56 PM

Default Big bears!!

I have a couple very nice bears hitting our baits but they seem to only come in at night or after the seasons over,Our season only goes till the end of May.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get one of these bad boys,They are so smart,its like they know your there every time.I am only interested in bowhunting them.I set the baits out on the 25th and he was there that night,the morning of the 26th.He has know regular feeding times,other than night time.I tried to patteren him last year with know luck.

Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated,I cant seem to post his pic so i hope hoochie papa will post it for me.Also any guesses on what his skull might go give or take a bit.Thanks fellas.I HAVE TO HAVE THIS BEAR.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 AM

Wish I had some tips for you but dont hunt bears. But good luck chasin bears with Joe.
Keep it up! He will slip up and you will be there to connect and your hard work will pay off.

Good luck cant wait to see pics!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:02 AM

Try walking in to the bait with someone.After you are settled into your stand,the other person drives away in their own vehicle.Bears often come to the bait shortly after hearing you leave the area.If that doesn't work,try using less bait,so the smaller bears eat most of it.This will often coax the bigger bear into coming in earlier.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 AM

I hang a old hoodie that has a lot of my scent on it in my stand. That will get the bears accustomed to your scent if they are circling downwind to check if anyones at the bait.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Hoochie Papa

Here ya go Bit Runner.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 AM

nice bear
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Wish I had some tips for you but dont hunt bears. But good luck chasin bears with Joe.
Keep it up! He will slip up and you will be there to connect and your hard work will pay off.

Good luck cant wait to see pics!
I'm not lucky enough to get out this spring. I head to work on Thursday and get back on the 30th. All my bear interaction will be keeping them out of camp.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:25 AM

Default Bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post
I'm not lucky enough to get out this spring. I head to work on Thursday and get back on the 30th. All my bear interaction will be keeping them out of camp.
Thanks for posting pic Joe.Ill keep you posted on the bear hunting.Im working
till Sat,then hunting him for 7 days strait.Dont work to hard up there and good luck with keeping those bears out of Camp!!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM

Do you have any other bears coming in? If so, limit the amount of food you put out to creat increased competition for the grub...less food means they have to come in earlier to get some food.........it's like a buffet....If there is limited food, the buffsters will be coming in early to get their food.

One other thing that you can try to make it appear that there is other bears in on your bait is to introduce other bears scat which will increase competition as the existing bear thinks that there is others dining at the table along with him.....important to limit food as well, or to actually remove the bait after you make the noise that you were there. When the big fella comes in, smells the other bear scat and sees that the barrel is empty, well......he knows the next time he better get there a little bit earlier to be able to enjoy some grub.

Seems like a bit of work, but it does work and if you sit and think about it, it makes sense. Good luck with the big one and looking forward to seeing some pics in the day light with smile on your face

Marco
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreek View Post
....limit the amount of food you put out to creat increased competition for the grub...less food means they have to come in earlier to get some food.........it's like a buffet....If there is limited food, the buffsters will be coming in early to get their food.
What I was going to suggest as well. Limit the amount of bait. If there are other bears visiting the bait site, he'll quickly learn he has to be there first, or no dinner.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
What I was going to suggest as well. Limit the amount of bait. If there are other bears visiting the bait site, he'll quickly learn he has to be there first, or no dinner.
Problem is it is almost a 2 hr drive there,I fill the barrels once/week and hunt them as much as i can but your right and im going to try do that the last week,I plan on hunting him for the last 7 days of the season every day.Hopefully he makes a mistake b-4 then but i dought it.Thanks for the tips everyone so far.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
Problem is it is almost a 2 hr drive there,I fill the barrels once/week and hunt them as much as i can but your right and im going to try do that the last week,I plan on hunting him for the last 7 days of the season every day.Hopefully he makes a mistake b-4 then but i dought it.Thanks for the tips everyone so far.
He didn't get to be big, by making mistakes. I did the two hour drive thing and found it very frustrating. Better to get together with a couple of other guys and share the load. Then make the time, to sit on that bait. The more time you spend there, the better the chances and milk every last minute of daylight, considering the regulations, of course. More presence will probably mean your trail cam is less likely to disappear, as well.
Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 05-04-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 PM

I agree with the guys suggesting limiting his food. I found the best way to bait was to do it daily. Obviously, you can't do that. As a last resort I would back track him on his trail and see if you can find a spot to ambush him. I have seen cases where the big ones came to within a certain distance early on and then just hung around till dark.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Once you can hunt him consecutive days first move your treestand and only leave bait when you are sitting on the bait. See if you can get a beaver carcass to do this with. The first time you do this sit from legal light AM to legal light pm. You said you wanted him.......

Lots of "nocturnal" bears can be killed early morning or through the day with the above tactic.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 PM

Seen 4 bears this morning coming back from ft mac. A sow and two cubs at ten this morning (nice cinamons) then a six foot having lunch on my lake lot grass at 12.30-no gun in the truck or in the trailer.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 PM

ive made the mistake of putting my baits where my buddys want to . now its a 2 1/2 hr drive to get there. and im almost at 24 days straight work. only get 5 days off then back on for who know how long. crappy first bear season.

this fall the baits are going to be about 20 mins out of town. and i can visit every day after work. lesson learned.

the boys were on there way up to jack pine mine and said they seen a blonde bear , about 6 foot. was hanging around the highway between syncrude and fort mackay.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Gone Hunting

Likely smell you. I have never tried Steve's suggestion of hanging a hoodie or other piece of clothing but be sure to use a bait that smells a lot, rotting beaver, fish, burnt honey etc..
Old 05-09-2009, 03:19 PM

If your a do-it yourselfer rig up a feeder on a timer.