Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 AM
lethalconnection

Default Check out these suckers.....literally suckers:)

So me and a buddy hit the bow river the other day looking to hook into some nice trout and well we got skunked on the trout but we did manage to catch something. SUCKERS. My buddy caught three of them and i caught 2, on the fly rod, while nymphing, i couldnt believe it, never have i heard of anyone catching that many suckers in a day on the bow and not get any trout at all. But the males made up for it cause they had some awesome colors goin on, we figure they must be spawning right now cause the females dropped some eggs on us as well.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Scott N

My first fish of this year was also a Bow River sucker. Not exactly what I had been hoping for!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:01 PM
lethalconnection

Would anyone beable to tell me what type of species they are???
Old 05-07-2007, 09:00 PM
re

Default re

Long nose sucker!~)
Old 05-07-2007, 09:22 PM
winchester70

Default Re: re

Those are whistling trout..:rollin
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Baitfisher83

Default bottom feeders

yeah they're scum sucking sludge drinkin annoying fish, some give up a good fight, but i'd rather have a trout any day, hit chain today and of course the biggest fish i got was one of these ugly useless things...musta been close to 5 lbs....oh well, still managed a good take on the trout
Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 PM
ULTRAlite

Default Re: bottom feeders

Nice colors - better those than being skunked is how I usually look at it....
Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Tree Guy

I hope you threw them up on the bank and not back!>:
Old 05-08-2007, 10:37 PM
lethalconnection

Quote:
I hope you threw them up on the bank and not back!>:
You know i didnt even think of that till i got back home and my dad asked me if i had done the same thing.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Baitfisher83

You know i thought my dad was off his rocker when he told me to do that at chain yesterday, i ended up throwing one of them back in..lol
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 PM
RockyMtnx

Neat I have never seen anything like that.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Tree Guy

You toss 'em because they are bottem feeders. They suck up so many trout eggs, etc. Great pic, great colors, but they are a parasitic specious. Toss 'em.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Baitfisher83

Never thought of it that way, if they're gonna ruin my chance at a trout they're goin bye bye..lol...especially when the damn things come out than any trout i catch
Old 05-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Tree Guy

I was fortunate enough to grow up on an Atlantic Salmon river in the Maritimes, about 1000 yards away. Whatever we could do to take out those suckers you did. It's kind of a shame to place a higher value on one specious over another, but that's life.

I remember getting home from school, jumping on my '10 speed' and pedaling my but to the river to fly fish for Salmon. There were a couple of days that I caught one quick enough to take home and have for supper!!!!!!!

That's how I learned how to fly fish at the age of 12-13. My first fish landed on a fly was a 12lb Atlantic Salmon! If ever there was such a thing as a 'perfect moment', that was it. Down side.....how does anything on a fly ever compare again?

Tree
Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 AM
species

Default species

Species dude, species
Old 05-09-2007, 07:03 PM
re

Default re

Probably shouldn't kill em you guys!! Are we really that dumb that we don't know that sucker minnows are a major food source for trout? And even if they do eat trout eggs, are the trout doing badly?? The bow is full of fish and in my opinion the suckers have just as much as a place there as the trout do!!!!!!! And to kill them in chain- really whats the freakin point??? The trout are tiny, taste discusting (cats won't eat em) and they don't even spawn!!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Tree Guy

Sorry, but Trout have many, many other sources of food than sucker minnows. The damage they cause in releation to the benefit they reap is more than worth tossing them up the bank. Sorry, just my opinion. I'll PM Shedcrazy, he may be able to give a better answer.

Tree
Old 05-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Christofficer

Uhhhh.... buck krazy is dead on guys. Suckers do eat trout eggs, they also eat whitefish eggs. SO? when was the last time you heard of suckers running trout out of a stream? you don't, and that's because they've been around a lonnnnnnggg time and it's not wise to attempt to depopulate a species of fish that's very significant to our streams and rivers. And yes, they do provide food for other fish. Bull trout for one. Didn't you learn about the food chain in school? Everything is working out fine the way it is, and I don't see the populations of trout being low due to suckers eating all the eggs. Take the bow river for example. We're lucky we have them to keep our rivers & streams clean. I personally don't care for them, they're ugly and sickly looking, but I wouldn't go about killing them for nothing.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:47 AM
mjmalberta

Default suckers

you shouldnt kill these fish just because they are suckers whers the game warden when you need them what do you guys think is cleaning the gravel and algae in the rivers and lakes not to mention what other people who use the trails and stuff are thinking when they walk by and see a bunch of dead fish alongside a trail it looks real bad sportsman have enough trouble with thier image without idiots doing stuff like this