Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 PM
elbow lake?

Default elbow lake?

Anyone ever fish it? How is it this time of year? I NEED to get out for some trout. If not Elbow lake are there any other suggestions for decent lakes around Calgary. I will trade tips and secrets!! john_boy6969@hotmail.com. BTW Spruce Meadows Pond has a couple of fish that made the winter but no good numbers. Fished for 2 hours, only had 2 come to the fly-- missed em both.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:35 AM
sheep hunter

The road is closed till June 15 and it's likely still under 10 feet of snow.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Scott N

Wedge Pond can be a fun little lake to fish. It's just off Highway 40 in K-Country just south of the golf course access road. It's a catch & release only pond that has arctic grayling in it. Small flies like chironomids, pheasant tails, GRHE, etc. will usually produce. I like to bring my belly boat out there, but it can easily be fished from shore as well. If the fish aren't biting, the scenery is hard to beat.

You could also probably fish Lower Kananaskis Lake by now for some large bull trout. There should be some open water, although I would imagine that there is probably still some ice part of it.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Tree Guy

The boys this weekend were taking some nice browns where the Highwood meets the Bow. Fairly productive outing I think. No idea as to patterns though.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 PM
re

Default re

Yeah we fish there in the summer quite often. We pulled a decent bull out last year in october it was around 30 inches.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 AM
hemipowered

Default spruce meadows

Are there any size to the fish at spruce meadows pond? I live right there and never even realized there is a pond in there, let alone with fish in it.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:33 PM
nafegavas

Default Re: spruce meadows

Elbow, lotsa little brookies, a canoe is real handy, short and in some parts steep hike.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
re

Default re

Theres a few swimming around- not too many though, No real size to them. It is all catch and release, but when I was there last year people were not being very careful- fishing with bait and ripping the friggin hooks out so I think alot died then. They should re stock it beginning of july or late june
Old 05-01-2007, 07:07 PM
sheep hunter

Default Re: re

I drove by Wedge Pond today and the ice is partially off.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:00 PM
nafegavas

Holy! when did Elbow become catch and release? It was left out of the high mountain regs. for years to thin out the overpopulated and hence stunted Brookie population, we always took 5 each. From what you've posted I guess it's mission accomplished.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 PM
sheep hunter

Think he was talking about Spruce Meadows.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Christofficer

buck krazy you ever fish the reservoir in town?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 PM
re

Default re

Yeah I used to fish it but now I see it as sort of a waste of time. Maybe it has gotten better. I know it used to be good but like everything else got kinda crappy.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Christofficer

Yeah, fish are few and far, but if you haven't caught any of the big rainbows there you haven't lived!!! I caught one just after ice out with a catatonic leech under an indicator. 23 inches and monster girth. They're in there alright, but some days just seems like a waste of time.