Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2015, 04:15 PM

Default Mojo Duck Decoys

Does anyone use a Mojo electric decoy? The one that floats on the water and has spinning wings. I'm thinking of getting one. Just looking for opinions from people who have used them.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:03 PM

Ya we regularily use one on the ponds. Works good. I would make it an extra addition after you have a couple of spinning wing pole robo ducks though
Old 01-03-2015, 05:05 PM

They suck!

Unless you want to kill ducks.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:11 PM

Thanks. I'm a very experienced waterfowler, grey hair and all. I have about a 400 yard walk to where I will put out 16-24 decoys, depending on how much I feel like carrying. I just think I can do better with less. I do have a couple Lucky Air Ducks that are wind driven, but I find them to be unreliable and I'm not sure they are really making a difference. I have heard good things about the Mojo that sits on the water.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:14 PM

I don't have one but read some reviews that said they tip over easily if any wind. Apparently they have a flat bottom and many reviews said some sort of keel on the bottom would help. Also read that the wings tend to work loose. Again I'm only stating the reviews I read.
Was going to order one on line for Christmas but decided that I would like to see the product first. I'll visit Cabelas or Bass Pro to view the item myself before buying.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 PM

I have two of them and yes they tip easily,mojos do not work as well on water as they do in a field, i do not bring mine out too often on the water and when I do i usally shut them of because the birds flare from them,,some days they work others,,,,,that being said would I buy another if one breaks down..yes

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 PM

I have a few, and they seem to have lost some of their effectiveness since they first came out. that being said I never leave home without one. I will turn them off when the birds seem to be flaring though.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
They suck!

Unless you want to kill ducks.
This!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 PM

Default Option for Mojo's "Robo Duck" as I call him

I have had a full size Mojo decoy for a few years and always take it along on duck hunts with good results.
It comes with a two piece stake that allows you to put it out in your decoy spread in an elevated position.
I also have a waterhole that I like to hunt and wanted to use the same robo duck out in the water. I came up with a way to use it in water/soft mud that comes up midway on my chest waders. I cut a 2x4 about 5 feet long and sharpened one end so that I could pound it down into the bottom of the pond.
I had drilled some holes through the side of the upper portion of the 2x4 and fed some wire through the holes to make 2 loops on one side. This allowed me to insert the stake that the decoy rests on. The decoy is then suspended above the water and can work its magic. I left the 2x4 in place for next season and plan on placing several more around the pond so I can take advantage of different wind conditions. Sorry no pictures but I hope I have explained it well enough. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:16 AM

They use to be magnets for everything that flew by, now with everyone and there dog running them i don't think there as powerful as before.

With that in mind i personally have 4 and they are always charged up the night before the hunt and i never leave home with out at least one in my truck.

I think the real ticket for having them in your face necessarily isn't the motion or the decoy it self, its the hide.
Spend the extra 10 min and grass your blind