Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
Why do the Hutes & Mennos always bring a vanload of kids with them fishing? Because the kids have their individual limits as well.
Seen this a lot. Not just with the groups said.
I'm pretty sure a 3 year old can't just pull out a limit by themselves....
Old 03-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Default Old Geezer Licenses and Reg Awareness

I'm one of those old men who get to fish for free. I still pay quite a bit of annual tax after several years of retirement however a great many of Alberta's retirees don't and they don't have a lot of extra cash laying around. I think not being required to have a licence is great. I don't get around like I used to so am restricted on where I can access decent fishing. No more mountain lakes or difficult hikes along freestone streams and I don't own one of those new fangled quads to rip up the streambeds. I also don't keep many because we don't eat as much as we once did. I enjoy exposing my grandchildren to fishing having introduced them to all sorts of fishing since they were about six years old and they love it. They will soon be buying licenses. As an old man I hope I continue to be able to fish for free. It really makes me feel good.
I'd also like to point out that I can still read, still think and I pour over the regs every year , at the beginning , and during to ensure I don't break the rules and get caught. You see I can also still be embarrassed which is what would happen if charged with a wildlife infraction. Keep smilin'
Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear100 View Post
I'm one of those old men who get to fish for free. I still pay quite a bit of annual tax after several years of retirement however a great many of Alberta's retirees don't and they don't have a lot of extra cash laying around. I think not being required to have a licence is great. I don't get around like I used to so am restricted on where I can access decent fishing. No more mountain lakes or difficult hikes along freestone streams and I don't own one of those new fangled quads to rip up the streambeds. I also don't keep many because we don't eat as much as we once did. I enjoy exposing my grandchildren to fishing having introduced them to all sorts of fishing since they were about six years old and they love it. They will soon be buying licenses. As an old man I hope I continue to be able to fish for free. It really makes me feel good.
I'd also like to point out that I can still read, still think and I pour over the regs every year , at the beginning , and during to ensure I don't break the rules and get caught. You see I can also still be embarrassed which is what would happen if charged with a wildlife infraction. Keep smilin'

Excellent first post
Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

Excellent first post
X2. Enjoy your retirement!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:16 AM
AO Sponsor

In BC, non-resident youth must buy a licence IF they want to have their own personal limit, otherwise under 16 non-residents are allowed to fish without a licence, but they must be accompanied by a licenced fisher and any fish they retain will count towards the licenced fisher's limit.

Resident BC youth are allowed to fish and retain their own personal limit. Where they are supposed to write/record their quota species retention fish? I have no idea. (You have to record in ink your retained chinook salmon and Kooteny rainbows, etc)

In Alberta, youth are allowed to catch and retain their own limit. I don't believe it matters whether they are resident youth or non-resident youth. Always was that way, I believe it still is to this day.

Makes sense... BC has this incredible salmon and trout fishery, Alberta we mostly just have a bunch of yicky rough fish.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote from regs...

Alberta Sportfishing Licences

Requirements
An Alberta Sportfishing Licence is required to fish in Alberta by means of sportfishing (see Licences and Costs and sportfishing definition). If you are under 16 years of age, an Alberta resident aged 65 or older, or a registered Indian under the Indian Act, you are not required to have a Sportfishing Licence, but you must follow sportfishing regulations. Sportfishing Licences are not required when a person is sportfishing on a designated Free Fishing Weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170311-143345.jpg (57.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
Why do the Hutes & Mennos always bring a vanload of kids with them fishing? Because the kids have their individual limits as well.

That isn't restricted to any social groups. I have been ice fishing many times where the adults would fish, and the children played on the ice on atvs or snowmobiles, but the children never touched a line. The adults would keep fishing until the fish stopped biting, or they had filled their limits, and a limit for each child.