Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Default Child's rod options.

I'm shopping around for a new rod for my 7 year old daughter. She's used a 5' light action Uglystick for a few years and its worked alright. The problem is that we do most of our fishing for walleye and pike and the light action just isn't up to trolling bottom bouncers or crank baits, it also cant handle enough weight to fish in the river. Ideally I'd like to find a medium action spinning rod shorter than 6', but I'm finding my options pretty limited.

My youngest has one of the children's Ugly Sticks and it fits this description, but the older one likes to have different stuff than her sister - with a little pink on it if possible.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 PM

I've got a 6' MF Shimano Clarus for my daughter. Works great. It's enough rod for just about any kind of fishing, and yet it's still very sensitive and small/light enough for her to handle easily. They're even available in 2 pc models and a 5'6" MH. The Convergence line is a good option too. http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-...-spinning.html

Most of the manufacturers make a few options in the 6' or 6'3" range, it depends on how much you want to spend. I don't think you'll find that the extra 6" is a deal breaker, kids catch on pretty quick.

You might want to try The Fishin' Hole booth at the Sportsmens show if you're in Edmonton this weekend, they usually have some really good 40% off deals.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 PM

I am a big fan of the Berkley Lightning Rod for kids. Sensitive enough for jigging but stiff enough to troll a 1 oz bottom bouncer.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:19 PM
Banned

I hear you on the short kids ugly stick. It's deadly for jigging walleye but now where near enough backbone for trolling or pike fishing. With that said I started both my kids with ice fishing rods jigging off the side of the boat when they turned 2. This had nothing to do with what you asked but I'm juiced and have you ever tried casting an ice fishing rod haha.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:32 AM

Rapala makes a 5' and/or a 5"6" medium heavy. I have this rod for my son. He has been using it since he was four. He has caught a lot of walleye and pike on this rod. Sensitive enough for jigging, but stiff enough for trolling. They are reasonably priced as well.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
I hear you on the short kids ugly stick. It's deadly for jigging walleye but now where near enough backbone for trolling or pike fishing. With that said I started both my kids with ice fishing rods jigging off the side of the boat when they turned 2. This had nothing to do with what you asked but I'm juiced and have you ever tried casting an ice fishing rod haha.
Yeah, both my kids started out with ice fishing rods when they were around 2. A far better option than the old Snoopy rods, the kids still use those rigs in the winter. I find that replacing the reels helps a lot, most ice fishing reels seem to be bad for developing tangles when used for continuous cast and retrieve fishing, and a little more line capacity seems to help them cast better.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:44 AM

Rapala makes some youth R-type rods that look pretty good. A little shorter, but still have backbone and good grips.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Pflueger has a few of combo sets that are decent.
Pflueger Lady Trion is a 4'8" rod: http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...-Combo/p/56819

Pflueger Apprentice is a 5'10" rod:
http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...ntice/p/293591

Pflueger President is a 6'6" rod:
http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...-Combo/p/23048

The wife uses the Apprentice for still fishing and it works great.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:15 PM

The clarus is definetly a great rod i use the light action as im fishing trout but if the other actions are similar it wont fail you.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:51 PM

At the fishinhole we sell the pink womens 6' medium ugly stick combos. I believe we have the 6 ft medium Berkley Cherrywood rods too which are a red/pink colour. That is all that pops into my head for womens rods other then a couple other cheap spincast combos(which would work too but if she is already using spinning might as well keep her with it).
Old 03-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
At the fishinhole we sell the pink womens 6' medium ugly stick combos. I believe we have the 6 ft medium Berkley Cherrywood rods too which are a red/pink colour. That is all that pops into my head for womens rods other then a couple other cheap spincast combos(which would work too but if she is already using spinning might as well keep her with it).
Yeah, I was almost thinking of getting a spincast rod and taking the "trigger thing" off with a grinder, since med action spincast rods typically do come in shorter lengths. I once did this to a cheap bait casting combo after its reel wore out and it made a decent spinning rod.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yeah, I was almost thinking of getting a spincast rod and taking the "trigger thing" off with a grinder, since med action spincast rods typically do come in shorter lengths. I once did this to a cheap bait casting combo after its reel wore out and it made a decent spinning rod.
I wouldn't do that.

We do sell a 4'9" medium heavy Rapala rod you might be interested in too if just want something shorter. I don't think you need to go under 6 ft though and a few options that way. Might even be a few 5'6 that I just can't think of off the top of my head.