Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Mystery Lake

Just wondering if anyone has fished Mystery Lake NE of Miette, the lake has Bull Trout. Fishing guide says fishing marginal with no in flowing stream lake drops after run-off. Any thoughts?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:35 PM

i was in there 2 years ago when it was really dry, the lake was down around 15', talked to one guy that said the previous year ( i think) there were big bulls laying all along the shore. not sure if there are any left, or at least a fishable population. we never did any fishing when we were in there. give the f&w out of hinton a call they may be able to help
Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the info, which trail did u take? How was it if it was from Miette?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 PM
jrs

I know guys that have gone in there and they reported tons and tons of tiny bullies. Not sure how they accessed it or how much effort they needed.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 PM

we came in from the east side
Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 AM

did you hike or quad?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:30 AM

we used quads but i wouldn't do it again. there are a couple of deep water crossings, one with fast moving water. a fair jag of muskeg as well. that was in the first part of august and there was about 3" of rain in the previous week. you could see where other quads had tore up quite a bit or real estate. i had talked to one of the f&w boys out of hinton and he personally had never been in there but knew a few that had and said the trail wasn't that bad. all i can say is that if you go don't go alone. between the 2 fast deep water crossings and the muskeg there is a lot of potential for problems, not to mention the damage done to the land with the machines. after saying that i will say we were back there just camping and the spot where the bridge is washed out ( if you have been there you will know what i am talking about) was completly dry, where as the previous year the water was 3' deep. take it for what it is worth, that is the way the west country is, things can change in a hurry. all i know is i would hate to be back in there and get a storm come through and dump 2-3" of rain, you might be spending a night or two in the bush.