Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 04:46 PM

Default Air Travel With Fishing Gear

Does anyone have a good solution for checked fishing gear? The carry-on rod tube & checked tackle thing is getting a bit old. I'm also tall enough that I'd rather not have a personal stuffed under the seat. I like my leg space. Any ideas? I looked into the UK/Pelican solutions but they're so heavy to be almost impractical. Also, they're meant more for guns than rods & tackle. Hoping for some input, thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2018, 04:55 PM

At the ridiculous prices they are starting to charge now for extra or oversized baggage, I would just continue putting it in with your checked luggage. You can also ship the gear to your destination beforehand so it is there when you get there. Alternatively, if you constantly go to a certain lodge or place to fish then see if they will let you leave your gear for the next time you are there, this is what I am doing now.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:14 PM

Do you know that if you keep your checked gear under the dimensions its $25 one way? That's not ridiculous, paying $150 for $50 of tackle is and I'm not doing that again.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:10 PM

I travel with my 4-pc fly rods in individual tubes in my duffel bag/checked luggage but my fly reels travel in my carry on shoulder bag: reels are ok as carry on and more vulnerable to damage so I carry them with me.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
I travel with my 4-pc fly rods in individual tubes in my duffel bag/checked luggage but my fly reels travel in my carry on shoulder bag: reels are ok as carry on and more vulnerable to damage so I carry them with me.
If your rod tube fits in the overhead bin they'll let you carry it on too without having to check it. I've done that a number of times and it's never been questioned. FWIW, my Rapala Baja tube is 39" long. As mentioned before, I'm just trying to lighten my carry-on load.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Do you know that if you keep your checked gear under the dimensions its $25 one way? That's not ridiculous, paying $150 for $50 of tackle is and I'm not doing that again.
The very idea that they charge you for a bag in the first place is ridiculous. It's air travel, of course people are going to have luggage!! Its the people that are travelling with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pieces of luggage that should be charged extra. Most rod tubes end up in the "oversized" category (except 4pc fly rods) and so you have to pay even more.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:41 AM

Okay, back to the original question - what are people using to carry their rod & tackle?

And FWIW, maybe I'll just check my entire tackle box next time.

This is what Air Canada (and for that matter United Airlines policy) is...

Waivers / Charges
Fishing rod in rod case:

NO oversize or additional piece charges apply if carried with tackle box.

All other additional checked baggage rules apply.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:51 AM

Default Rod luggage

When i travel I go to a carpet supplier ( After Eight flooring) and ask for their empty cardboard carpet roll tube. Many different sizes ( diameters) and you can cut the lenght to any thing you want. Make ends for the tube out of layers of cardboard circles. Found these to weigh the least of anything. Do not get the thin colaspable ones... look for the heavier tube as to not damage gear. Pack tackle with reg luggage... take what you can fit cause if your like me ... too much to take

Tags
airlines, fishing, fishing rod, rod case, travel