Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Why can't I find the fish????

The last 2-3 times I have been out fishing this fall I have had a real hard time finding the fish. I fish mostly on Sherburn and was finding walleye and perch pretty regular a month or so ago, but last few times super slow. I thought that in the fall fish were supposed to move to shallows but when I work those areas nothing and jigging in the 30' where I was a month ago brings up the odd fish.

Any ideas to try. I have been bottom bouncing with worms, minnow and gulp and nothing with that. I don't have a huge variety of crank baits and have played around a little with them and all I can catch with those are small pike A bait tipped small jig on a slip bobber is the only way I have been able to get any bites at all and that is very slow.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Banned

Experiment with depths, anywhere from 6-40' will hold fish. It depends on weather, time of day, etc... Work with your electronics to find them and the baitfish, and be prepared to move throughout the day as the fish move.

Once you find them, try slowing down the presentation - lindy rigging, vertical jigging, dragging jigs, etc..., and go with live bait if possible. Subtle is the key. (I know leeches can be pretty much impossible to find this time of year.)

Jigging spoons are a more aggressive technique that often work this time of year too, especially on those fish you've located in 30'.

Waxy
Old 10-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned

Default Walleye

Actually typical fall movement for walleye in Alberta, at least in the northern lakes is movement on to sharp drops into the main basin of the lake and they will move deep.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:50 PM

Is there one bait that would be more productive than another? They seemed to love the worms awhile ago but no bites on them lately.

I don't have great electronics, but this lake has a featureless flat soft bottom it is hard to find any real drop offs. There are a few spots where it drops of fast from shore, from 0-30' within 15' from shore would that be considered a steep drop?

I know of one spot were the bottom drops out between two "islands" to about 20-30' but all I have caught there are pike.

Thanks for the tips!!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Gone Hunting

The lakes are "Turning Over" this time of year. There is alot happening right now. Do some searching around and read up on what takes place this time of year, it will help you understand about what fish are dealing with and could be of help to you in your hunt. Theres just too much too it to try to explain it here, your better off seeking the info and applying it to the lakes you fish, as there are different kinds of lakes in Alberta, and all are affected by all these changing elements differently.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

I always have the best luck with leeches if you can find them.

I find steep drops like that to be fairly non-productive unless they're connected to a flat or shelf somewhere, and then it should be a hot spot. It's worth a try though. Troll it slowly and get a feel for it what your electronics are telling you. Subtle changes can be important to where the fish are, watch for baitfish on the screen.

Structureless "bathtubs" are hard to fish. Generic suggestions would be to look for any structure you can find, it should concentrate fish. Surviving weed edges, changes from mud to rock or sand, etc... are also things to target.

The islands sound like a good place to start. You know the spot holds fish, so work methodically from shallow to deep or vice versa. As my buddy always says - don't fish memories. Just because you caught a couple pike there in the past doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a productive walleye spot this time of year.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

Waxy
Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 AM

Remember........................Fish can Smell!!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:44 AM

For this time of the year, troll crankbaits.