Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-19-2008, 11:12 AM

Default FishFinder recomendations. $300-$600

Hey guys
Just wondering what some of you have to say about the sonar units out there. I'd like to get one with all the bells and whistles, yet I don't plan on doing any ocean fishing with it. I'd LOVE to have one with GPS like the pros and be able to mark spots and come back next year without racking my brain.

I've got pictures, and hand draw maps, and its all almost worthless trying to find spots, unless their close to shore.

I'd also like one with side-scan, and color screen for bottom density info. I'm not so big on Fish-ID, yet for the money I plan on spending I'd expect some hits.

I really don't know tons about sonar, and I can read the specs and details, but I'd trust a fellow AB fishermen's review much more.

I'm planning on heading out east to Ont and doing some serious fishing. I know Fish-n-Canada gives GPS details and that would make all the difference in the world to me if I only had a small time to fish lots of locations. Yet I wonder if a portable GPS could do the same thing?

I don't know lots about GPS either. lol.

I like Lowrance's gear, but I'm not set on any brand yet.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:27 AM

go with a humming bird 300 series 161 combo all the stuff your looking for under 300
Old 10-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Finders

X2 .... Do not buy a Lowrance or Eagle product go with the Bird

I am in the process of switching to the Bird from Low ...

nothing but agravation from Low.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 PM

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

I've been thinking about getting this one from Costco. Seems to have all that I need for a decent price
Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM

Sweet, thats the one I decided I wanted but I never checked Costco yet. The same thing is on ebay for like $380 + shipping, and I know when I just bought my 50 lbs MK trolling motor at costco it was around a hundred bucks cheaper then anyone else.

The only problem is only the Costco near Deerfoot has things like that in stock, and they don't keep a consitant stock. You can always order it in, since the shipping is included in the $350 price. It would be like $10-$20 cheaper in-store. Its not like I need to have it quick, either.

Thanks for the heads up, I think I'm gonna grab that one, and soon. They seem to constantly change their stock, so once all these 383c's are gone, you might not see them again.

I've read the only downside to this model is the somewhat small screen-size, which is why I don't want the 363 which is B&W. My boats wee, but if you plan in mounting this in your dash and sitting a distance away, it might not be what you want, just a FYI.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Humminbird 383c Combo Fishfinder
3.5" Color Display Screen, GPS Receiver, Trackplotting and Chartplotting
Is what I picked up to mount on my quad , I think shes gonna be the cats meaw . Ill leave the transducer loose plunk it down the hole . I also , got a little 12 volt plug so I can see whats going on . im super pumped . If I like it ill mound one in my boat aswell .
Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 PM

This is the line that convinced me.

Sonar Echo Enhancement™ reveals the smallest details - even your jig!

Sold!

I seen a guy say this about the 383c though
Quote:
The GPS does work and you can view your waypoints and can use it for various functions but it would be nice to work with it in real time.
Not quite sure what he means by that, unless you can't watch your movents via GPS, but only waypoints.

GPS Features:
WAAS, 2000 Waypoints, 50 Routes, 25 Tracks with 20000 Points Each.

Sounds good to me. lol
Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned

A couple of comments -

I'd concentrate on the sonar. Get the biggest screen and the most features you can afford. This is the key to catching fish and maximizing your fishing, not GPS. I've got GPS on my Lowrance and I just don't use it all that much, it's a nice feature to have no doubt, but not a deal breaker in any way IMHO. The biggest advantage of a GPS unit is knowing your speed, but speed sensors are easily added to non-GPS units.

GPS is cheap these days, you can buy a hand held unit from C Tire for less than $100 that will do everything you'll ever need for fishing, and you'll be able to use it year round for everything else you might want to do as well.

Humminbird has started making some really nice stuff, but I wouldn't shy away from the Eagle/Lowrance stuff, and I'm a guy that had some problems with one of mine. I've got an Eagle from the early 90's that still works flawlessly, and other than some software problems on their really high end units, the Lowrance stuff is pretty bullet proof, and it WORKS. It's been the industry standard for years for a reason.

Waxy
Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 PM

i bought a 777 humminbird with a quad tran. and it seem to work quite well. it doesnt have the gps internally in the unit but can be expanded on to a handheld , it also had the best resolution of the smaller color units.
http://store.humminbird.com/csonar-csonar700.html
Old 10-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Your right on the money Waxy, I think what "I" need most is detailed sonar since a handheld GPS is all I need to simply 'find the spot'. I can see the need and benefit of chartploting on the same screen as your sonar data, but its not something I require.

I just bought a Lowrance x51 used for $60 as my first sonar and it certainly is bullet-proof. I leave it in the rain, sun, and let it bang around the hull when I take it off the mount to tow. I can see everything at 30 mph, but its detail is poor.

Damn some of the $1k and up, sonars I was looking at have 5000 watt transducers. Good thing theres no Dolphins around, haha. You might start attracting Whales if you were out at sea. lmao.

I honestly wouldn't have taken my wallet out, until I heard your advice Waxy, you definitely know your sh1t. Not to suggest you directed me away from any brand or model, but rather made me realize what I might benefit more from with other features.

A large screen was one thing I really was hoping for when dropping decent money for, since I'm always turning, tilting and squinting to see my screen as it is. Mainly due to the sunlight reflection.

All I really want is to have a decent sonar, and be able to get to certain spots without using the old fashioned, and hard way. In my case having all those things in 'one-package' isn't really a bonus. Especially if you can't look at the GPS in real-time and view sonar data at the same time.

I've seen a few combos with the 383 and 363 that come with a soft-gel battery, all in a single case, and it seems Ice-fishing is what most of them are used for. Considering its features, that sounds like the perfect job for it.

I guess I'm gonna have to get knee deep in more technology specs, and figure out what I really need and want.

Thanks again for ALL the advice. I was looking at the HB 700 series and they do look very good.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:20 AM

Does anyone own or have used a HB 747?

I'm liking the looks of this one

http://store.humminbird.com/humminbi...6740-1CHO.html
Old 10-28-2008, 01:13 PM

Assuming that the battery doesn't freeze, will most finders work on the ice? I'm buying a boat next spring but it would be nice to have a sonar on the ice. I heard that the camera's may spook some fish and I have a hard enough time catching them without a camera scaring them!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 PM

Sounds good to me. The 383c has dual beam sonar so its not designed for 'only' ice fishing at all. Yet
Quote:
The 300 Series saves space, without compromising on performance.
, Thats probably why its a popular choice for people who do both, Hard and soft water fishing.

The '383c ice fishing combo' I seen had a gel type battery, which might be what you want out in the cold.

I wonder if you could disguise the camera as a rock or something not as 'alien' as a plastic fish.

Personally I'm still on the fence about cameras. My childhood curiosity regarding "what it looks like down there" hasn't died, and it would be cool to peek at spots. Yet Spotting fish with it would feel like going to a feed-lot to hunt for Cows.

When I was a kid we used to catch Perch and watch the fish look at your lure, which is about as 'unsporting' as a underwater camera, I would think. I almost wanted to buy the $130 camera at C/T but I'm sure its a P.O.S, and I'm not going to spend hundreds on a camera, personally.

I would think Ice fishing would be the only real use for a camera in the lakes around AB, due to the clarity of the water being so poor in the summer.

I think I might as well wait till early spring, since at the rate of technological device depreciation, the one I'll buy now will be cheaper, enough to wait.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Does anyone own or have used a HB 747?

I'm liking the looks of this one

http://store.humminbird.com/humminbi...6740-1CHO.html
I still like the 777 better, it has a better resolution then the 747 ( 777-640 x 480 vs 747-320x240) and really the price isnt much of a difference.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duch17 View Post
I still like the 777 better, it has a better resolution then the 747 ( 777-640 x 480 vs 747-320x240) and really the price isnt much of a difference.
Agreed. Resolution is the key. Think of it as "high definition" for your sonar.

They're at the upper limit of your price range, but I'd do with the Humminbird 700 series or the Lowrance 500 series. Both are good color units, you can't go wrong with either IMHO. I'd probably give the nod to the Humminbird due to slightly better resolution and their compatibility with the dual beam transducers.

You won't regret going the extra mile for one of these units...

Waxy
Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Shrubs

I bought a lower end eagle and had problems with it. Didn't bother me to much that the unit was a dud but dealing with their service department sure did. Personally wouldn't buy an eagle/lowrance again especially with the stuff that hummingbirds been putting out.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:26 PM

Thanks guys, I didn't realize that resolution is really one of the most important things on a sonar, since no matter what your transducer is capable, if its not distinctive to the viewer, what good is it?

$450 is what the 777 is, or close to it, though our loonie could bring it close to $500-$550 at the most. Thats decent for a 'decent' sonar. Thanks China! Plus having the GPS, Speed and other upgrades available makes me think the 777 is my new choice.

I have to get all this stuff while I'm single, since thats the only time I get to spend money on myself. lol. I gotta find a wife who has a Fishermen for a Father, with a nice boat. I know Darrel Cronzy has a son, but I wonder if he's got a Daughter? lol.

Thanks again guys.