Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Default Hornady GMX

Tried out a few hand loads tonight and was quite pleased with the accuracy.
Local shop has TSX and GMX on for the same price.

I could have interchanged between the GMX and TTSX hand loads and been good out to 250 or so.

I really like the TTSX but finding them is hit and miss up here. I figure between the TSX TTSX and GMX that I should have decent access, and good loads to boot.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 PM

Glad to hear that they shoot well in your gun, I hope to try them out myself this fall. Did you shoot them at paper, or did another frying pan meet it's maker today?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Glad to hear that they shoot well in your gun, I hope to try them out myself this fall. Did you shoot them at paper, or did another frying pan meet it's maker today?
Paper and paintcans...and at one point...a plume of mosquitos....!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM

FYI...If you really like TTSXs, P&D has been reliable for having what I want, and they'll usually ship the same day.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 PM

You'd best hit those 'skeeters in the vitals, or they just get angry when hit with anything under a .505 Gibbs!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 AM

I've been looking locally for the GMX bullets for a bit now. Glad to hear they performed well. What powder are you pushing them with?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 AM

You have a tag for those mosquitos? Don't let F&W get wind of this bloodbath.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=Arn?Narn.;1035952]
Local shop has TSX and GMX on for the same price.[QUOTE]

I think two years ago I paid $35 for a box of GMX, and now pay around $50 for a box of TSX, depending where you buy them. Either TSX is on a heck of a sale, or GMX prices jumped quite a bit!

Then again, maybe I did pay more for the GMX than I remember. They worked very well on the one deer I used them on, but I switched to Barnes because the GMX were too hard to find.

I see them more regularely available now, so I am tempted to switch back. I'm a little tired of cleaning copper. But I won't go back to a leaded bullet.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Arn, I've just switched over to the GMX from the TSX, they're about 10-15 bucks cheaper around these parts(Calgary). With TSX the best groupings I could get were about 1.5", plenty adequate for game, but not up to par with what my 7mm-08 is capable of (my favourite load usually puts 3 sierra prohunters at around 1/2MOA or so). The GMX is shooting in the 1-1.25 MOA range so slightly better than the TSX was, I'm gonna try them on some deer this year (no moose or elk hunting for me this year) and see how they do.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Arn, I've just switched over to the GMX from the TSX, they're about 10-15 bucks cheaper around these parts(Calgary). With TSX the best groupings I could get were about 1.5", plenty adequate for game, but not up to par with what my 7mm-08 is capable of (my favourite load usually puts 3 sierra prohunters at around 1/2MOA or so). The GMX is shooting in the 1-1.25 MOA range so slightly better than the TSX was, I'm gonna try them on some deer this year (no moose or elk hunting for me this year) and see how they do.
You certainly aren't having much luck getting either the GMX, or the TSX to shoot accurately in your rifle. All of my rifles shoot the TSX or TTSX between 1/2 moa and 3/4 moa. Once I found the correct seating depth for each gun, getting good accuracy was easy.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 PM

I have seated mine from 2.750 to 2.775

Found 2.770 to be good.

I have no problem MOA....using Varget
Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You certainly aren't having much luck getting either the GMX, or the TSX to shoot accurately in your rifle. All of my rifles shoot the TSX or TTSX between 1/2 moa and 3/4 moa. Once I found the correct seating depth for each gun, getting good accuracy was easy.
Might have a lot to do with sufficient rifling twist. The extremely poor performance of the TMX's I tried was identical to what happened when I recently tried a bullet slightly too heavy (long) for the twist rate in the same rifle.

It's amazing what 10% more bullet weight or length can result in, all else being equal.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Might have a lot to do with sufficient rifling twist. The extremely poor performance of the TMX's I tried was identical to what happened when I recently tried a bullet slightly too heavy (long) for the twist rate in the same rifle.

It's amazing what 10% more bullet weight or length can result in, all else being equal.
I wonder if he has a Savage rifle, they did make some slow twist 7mm-08 rifles. Most other manufacturers use a faster twist rate that should easily stabilize the 139gr GMX.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 AM

I've got a Marlin XS7, twist rate is 1 : 9.5" so I don't think the twist rate is the problem, I've been loading with the 140gr TSX and the 139 GMX. The prohunters that are so accurate out of it are also 140gr.

My best results so far have been running the GMX with a COAL of 2.850, 42.0gr varget, win primers, win brass. I've got some RL-15 kicking around I might try next.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 AM

You guys do realize your seating length is totally irrelevent for any other rifle than yours.

What the next guy needs to know is where are you seating your bullets with respect to the start of your rifling.

And that is'nt a lock either because not all rifling leades are cut the same.

I say, do some expermentation of your own, the time spent in reloading and practicing will do you good.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-07-2011, 12:04 PM

I don't bother even looking at the COL listed in any manual, but I do take Barnes advice and start my load development with the TSX/TTSX at .050" off the lands. All of my guns seem to do best with the TSX/TTSX seated from .050" to .070" off the lands.