Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2017, 09:51 AM

Default Watercraft Inspection

Inspection station east of Medicine Hat on Trans Can is open for the season! Remember that watercraft inspections are mandatory and you can face HUGE fines if you bypass one, especially if you are carrying AIS! They guys were very friendly. No swag yet other than stickers, but I have lots from last year already
Old 04-06-2017, 11:27 AM

Good to hear that they're back out. Reminder to folks as well that Canoes and Kayaks are also classified as watercraft in this instance and must stop for inspection.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
Good to hear that they're back out. Reminder to folks as well that Canoes and Kayaks are also classified as watercraft in this instance and must stop for inspection.
Correct, I even stopped with my inflatable pontoon boat in the trunk and they were happy to check it out. If your craft has a registration number or HIN (Hull identification number) on it somewhere, it's helpful to have that visible or know what it is for their records.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Just bought my very first boat. Is there anything I should know for these inspections? I'm aware that I'm suppose to pull the plug when I take it out of the lake, dry it off. Anything else?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishingEDM View Post
Just bought my very first boat. Is there anything I should know for these inspections? I'm aware that I'm suppose to pull the plug when I take it out of the lake, dry it off. Anything else?
Swing through a station and they'll fill you in. But that's the gist of it. Make sure it's Clean, Drained, and Dry.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craddosk View Post
Swing through a station and they'll fill you in. But that's the gist of it. Make sure it's Clean, Drained, and Dry.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2017, 12:03 PM

The inspection teams have always been very friendly and willing to help/educate. If they ever find anything, they even offer to clean it out for you right there! You could even go through without your boat just to talk to them.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:32 PM

Is the one west of Calgary by Cochrane open yet?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:37 PM

ok so i understand that the boats have to go through this process to prevent the spread of the zebra mussels and such because it was in the water but what about the anglers fishing rods and gear that also came into contact with the same body of water?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
ok so i understand that the boats have to go through this process to prevent the spread of the zebra mussels and such because it was in the water but what about the anglers fishing rods and gear that also came into contact with the same body of water?
Significantly lower risk. Boats will usually spend more time in the after, increasing the infection risk and can contain water within the live well, etc. After the fact. Equipment used had a much lower risk and most fishermen don't transport a tackle box full of water or leave great wet.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Some of the kids are great, some are power mad and clueless. 1 time I will pull in and say 'I just came from the ocean, not going to any other water' and they do a quick once over saying that ocean water doesn't count. The next one will want me to gut the cabin and decks for them to crawl around, not happening.
1 made me stay in the boat and wanted to bring the dog up onto the deck to check for mussels in the livewells . She couldn't lift the dog up that high lol.
Depends on the station.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 PM

Are they checking boat registration numbers to see if you register your boat?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skykomish sunrise View Post
Are they checking boat registration numbers to see if you register your boat?
I don't think so, at least at the inspection station, since registration is a federal (Transport Canada) thing and not a provincial fisheries one. They do take the registration as a reference number, but can also use the HIN if it's unregistered. Small sailboats, kayaks, canoes, inflatables, etc may not carry registration marks.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:36 PM

Clean perhaps by dry someone is out of their tree. What are you supposed to do? Wait a week for it to dry out? I can't even reach mine let alone dry it.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 PM

No kidding. I smile when they check it in the rain
Old 04-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
Correct, I even stopped with my inflatable pontoon boat in the trunk and they were happy to check it out. If your craft has a registration number or HIN (Hull identification number) on it somewhere, it's helpful to have that visible or know what it is for their records.
Really? My plan is to leave the canoe on my truck all summer/Fall. So every time I go to Cypress hills I'll have to stop?

I live in a Condo and I dont have room to store the canoe on site...this is why I leave it on the vehicle.
Where is the station exactly?

I'm surprised by the amount of rules and regulations!
Old 04-08-2017, 12:43 PM

PM sent, short answer, yes every time, but they will probably start to recognize you. Pics of my two fishing boats in case you see me out there..the one of my pontoon is a stock photo, but essentially same model and colour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 mile dock.jpg (46.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg pontoon.jpg (8.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-08-2017, 09:25 PM

Nice little rigs!
I'll try to get myself a small bumper-pull travel trailer before I invest in a boat tho. Priorities!