Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Banned

Default Most user friendly fishing kayak

I've been looking at a couple different fishing kayaks for spring and was wondering what people are using.

So far I think the old town predator13 would suit me best and seems to be a real user friendly unit. I'm not sure how it would handle due to the length and maneuverability but I really like the over all set up and looks. I took a few measurements and it would just barely slip through the back door of my camper for easy transportation. My camper is a fiver or I'd put it on my truck.

I used to kayak often when I was younger and have seen some crazy rapids and I packed my yak for 10 klms one time for the surf. Some draw backs packing a kayak like this into some real nice spots looks like it could be challenging and the only draw back by the looks of it.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:15 PM
Banned

Have to admit that I don't see the allure of kayaks for fishing. Running rivers or surfs I understand, but for fishing I prefer a canoe. You can move around and pack more gear. Just a personal choice though.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:18 PM

What attributes are you thinking classifies a kayak as user friendly?

I think to most folks will do some modifications placement of rod holders and fish finders etc.

Personally most canoes suck in solo mode, not nearly as stable. for trips my tuna can carry lots of gear. But you do get wet a lot more.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Have to admit that I don't see the allure of kayaks for fishing. Running rivers or surfs I understand, but for fishing I prefer a canoe. You can move around and pack more gear. Just a personal choice though.
I have owned a couple canoes and a couple kayaks and a canoe has nowhere near the versatility of a good fishing kayak.

Canoes you have to always be worried about wind and waves, in a fishing kayak you can stay out when most boats wouldn't venture out if you have the will to do so. It doesn't even matter if you are being swamped by 3 foot whitecaps, you just keep on paddling and you will make it.

Many fishing kayaks you can stand up in and move around enough to be comfortable and can sight fish etc. All the canoes I have ever been in have been much less stable then my kayaks.

They are also much more suited to fishing as they have rod holders, transducer mounts, fish finder mounts and a lot of storage both inside and outside.

To me the only advantage my canoe had was the ability to lay completely flat and have a nap... Not a high value on my priority list though.

As for the OP it all comes down to where you will be fishing the most and what you use for gear, personal comfort level etc. I absolutely love my hobie with its hands free pedal system but they are expensive especially now with this stupid dollar... Having a good raised seat like in the predator makes a big difference on comfort and staying dry. Overall the predator is a pretty nice boat, a little heavier and not the easiest paddling boat but very good all around if you are willing to live with that.

There are lots of other threads on here that I have answered kayak questions in before. If you search through my posts can probably find more information you might need.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:31 PM
Banned

I like the portability of a fishing kayak most and I wouldn't have to modify my truck to hual one. Getting out to nice little lakes to fish on couldn't be easier. We stayed at Waterfoul lakes last year and seen a guy out there fishing away, he got two nice trout and said it was nicest place he'd ever fished with his yak. I don't know if I would be out in the middle of lake minnawanka or anything but close to shore looks doable with a good body suit that is.

Check these guys out having fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiiGCFybdT8&sns=em
Old 02-11-2016, 02:40 PM

^ Yeah with the right kayak and gear you can go out on almost any water body.

I have been on multiple big lakes, Lesser Slave, Wabamun, Gull, Pigeon etc and in windy conditions and although I haven't done Cold Lake will definitely be doing it this summer. I go out on the North Saskatchewan River, to small ponds and hike in lakes. You name it I can fish it from my kayak.

This summer I really want to do a trip out to Vancouver island and get some ling, halibut, rockfish and salmon from my kayak. I have caught some nice fish in my kayak but I want to catch something big lol.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:54 PM

One thing I don't regret is waiting and making the decision go with a peddle drive style kayak. I was pretty close to getting a predator, but I really enjoy trolling. On my revo13 it's been a blast and glad I shelled out the extra cash for the hobie.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:17 PM

Check out the wilderness 115x angler or ride 130. I have the 115. Very stable but not the fastest kayak in the water
Old 02-12-2016, 05:40 AM

After much research, I picked up an Old Town Predator 13 on Kijiji two weeks ago. I'm pumped! I went sea kayaking once only and loved being close to the water but my yak skills are at rookie stage.
What I liked most about the Predator was its stability for standing and its resistance to tipping over.
A bicycle tired cart is in my plans for transportation so as long it's a walkable path, I'll get it in and out from my truck.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:06 AM

I've never kayaked before, aside from a few times on vacation, on the ocean, just offshore.
But I picked up an ATAK from wilderness systems.
Hoping to fish my weekends and days off away this year.
Providing the wife permits it, and no "honey do" list stays short.
14' long 35" wide ability to stand and sight fish. Has a flex pod to let you install electronics.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:46 AM

I bought 2 predator 13's last year one for me one for the wife and i can say they are awesome. It was our first time in a kayak and kayak fishing. We chose the pred because of the stability and comfort. I spend 8-10 hrs on it and could sit longer its that comfortable. As for big water. I have had 20 km winds and 3' chop on gull and never felt like i was in danger of tiping. Word of advice is purchase a 250 cm paddle so when your seat is in he high pos you can still paddle with some speed. I find this yak to do everything well, small lakes like pyhlis to gull never left me saying i wish i had....
Be sure to sign up for the eastslope kayak fishing tournament.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:07 AM

Yea the boy needs his own yak for the classic, he did not much appreciate rowing the tin boat around .

I had started looking for a used one, then I ran into this. oddly we both have had the boat building bug me a drift boat and him a cedar strip canoe. I figured this would be an easy build to start with.

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_hunt.php

Could be a good way to break into the sport on a lower budget. especially these days with a bad Canadian dollar and tight budgets.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:38 AM

I have a Jackson Kilroy fishing yak and love it.
http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/kilroy/

It is a sit-in kayak decked out for fishing. I like the fact that I am not so exposed to the elements when it is either really sunny or cold.

One thing I was concerned about was the stability and being able to stand and fish. I've found that with this kayak, you are actually standing slightly below the water surface so it is really stable.

Regardless of which one you choose, make sure you get one with a comfortable seat. In my opinion, that is the largest factor to whether you will enjoy fishing from it.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 AM

Default cheap is good

be honest the cheapest 10' kayak does the trick fine. canadian tire or cosco both have 400$ kayaks you wont be worried about damaging(because they are very hard to damage). i put cheapest fishfinder and decent rodholders on.i drag them to the lake over rocks and sand without worry.caught lots of big fish from them
Old 02-16-2016, 01:07 PM

I just bought a Jackson Big Tuna so that I can fish with my 11 year old son and solo when he's not in the mood. One thing I will say is that if you are looking now, hurry up and buy. I just got a 2015 Big Tuna for the 2015 price. The 2016's, if you are looking for new, are going to be much more expensive because of the state of the dollar. Many stores still have 2015 models left but they will go fast once the ice starts to recede.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:40 PM

You will love the tuna, it can be "fun" learning to work together but solo or tandem it's a nice boat I got 250 cm oars but for me I could still use longer ones

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 02-16-2016, 10:26 PM

I'm 6'3" so i think I'm going for a 260cm... I have yet to buy paddles. Anyone know if the Boat Show in Edmonton has any Kayak presence? I know it's bigger at the shows south of the border but I haven't been to the Edmonton one in a few years and I don't recall much.

Last edited by CDNPiper; 02-16-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:41 AM

My fishing buddy has a hobie and loves it as it takes the paddle out of the equation. He loves it!
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-14/