Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2012, 12:55 PM

Default Lower Kananaskis Situation

So, story goes, Me and a buddy are pulling up to the outflow side do some fishin'. We notice a few risers, so we pull in and start to get geared up. A fellow from down below is walking up through the parkinglot with a fish, he walks up to another guy in an Oilers Cap getting geared up next to us and says "The limit is ONE over 50cm correct?" And the guy in the Oilers Cap replies "I believe so". Now I can see the fish CLEARLY, and its infact a BULL TROUT! So as the fellow walks to his car on the other side of the parkinglot, I looked at the guy with the Oilers Cap and asked "What kind of fish did buddy have, was it a Bull?" And of course the guy in the Oilers cap replied "I think so". So me and my buddy are geared up, and I lock the truck, and looked at my buddy to say "Lets go see that fish. So we casually walk over to the guy with the fish, and I asked him and his gf, "Looked like you got a big one, mind if I see?" And he replied "Sure!" I then asked, before he opened his cooler and bag, "What kinda fish did you guys catch?" He and she then replied "Rainbow Trout". As they opened the bag fully, I looked right at the fish, then them and said "My friend, what you have there is a very fat BULL TROUT!" And then this is what did it for me....he then replied "Well how can you tell!"
Well I pointed out the obvious, I pointed to the dorsal and said "No Black Spots" I then pointed to the Pectoral fins and said "See, white leading edge" And his gf almost immediatly looked right at him and started saying "Go put it back! Go put it back!" (As if she knew right away what would happen) So as hes trotting with this Bull, he stops at the picture signs to compare, then high-tails it down to the lake to put it back. I then look at the gf and say "Thank You, I just don't want anyone to get in trouble". Then I walked away.

So a few questions......
Did I handle that correctly??
Should the guy in the Oilers Cap have said something first??
Should I have made a report??

Also, as me and my buddy are now fishing on the north side of the outflow, we still him trying to revive this bull for about 15 minutes, a guy with a net comes down to help this fellow, and continues to point the finger at him.

I guess im posting this, mainly because it just aggrevates me to no end when people dont bother to do ANY research before they hit a water body. The fact they had no idea what kind of fish they had even caught, when there are special regulations in place is just absolutly brainless.

Any input guys??
Old 07-29-2012, 01:05 PM

Ignorance is no excuse, collect the info and make a call...the Officer could inform him of the rules as he wrote him a ticket for keeping the bull

Sorry but to NOT be able to tell a rainbow and a bull trout apart.....you have to be daft or legally blind or you are keeping them on purpose and playing dumb.

LC
Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingForLife View Post
So, story goes, Me and a buddy are pulling up to the outflow side do some fishin'. We notice a few risers, so we pull in and start to get geared up. A fellow from down below is walking up through the parking lot with a fish, he walks up to another guy in an Oilers Cap getting geared up next to us and says "The limit is ONE over 50cm correct?" And the guy in the Oilers Cap replies "I believe so". Now I can see the fish CLEARLY, and its infact a BULL TROUT! So as the fellow walks to his car on the other side of the parking lot, I looked at the guy with the Oilers Cap and asked "What kind of fish did buddy have, was it a Bull?" And of course the guy in the Oilers cap replied "I think so". So me and my buddy are geared up, and I lock the truck, and looked at my buddy to say "Lets go see that fish. So we casually walk over to the guy with the fish, and I asked him and his gf, "Looked like you got a big one, mind if I see?" And he replied "Sure!" I then asked, before he opened his cooler and bag, "What kinda fish did you guys catch?" He and she then replied "Rainbow Trout". As they opened the bag fully, I looked right at the fish, then them and said "My friend, what you have there is a very fat BULL TROUT!" And then this is what did it for me....he then replied "Well how can you tell!"
Well I pointed out the obvious, I pointed to the dorsal and said "No Black Spots" I then pointed to the Pectoral fins and said "See, white leading edge" And his gf almost immediately looked right at him and started saying "Go put it back! Go put it back!" (As if she knew right away what would happen) So as hes trotting with this Bull, he stops at the picture signs to compare, then high-tails it down to the lake to put it back. I then look at the gf and say "Thank You, I just don't want anyone to get in trouble". Then I walked away.

So a few questions......

Also, as me and my buddy are now fishing on the north side of the outflow, we still him trying to revive this bull for about 15 minutes, a guy with a net comes down to help this fellow, and continues to point the finger at him.

I guess i'm posting this, mainly because it just aggravates me to no end when people dont bother to do ANY research before they hit a water body. The fact they had no idea what kind of fish they had even caught, when there are special regulations in place is just absolutely brainless.

Any input guys??
Perfect reason why when someone first starts out should have to take a course just like hunting . But no its just a fish .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Ignorance is no excuse, collect the info and make a call...the Officer could inform him of the rules as he wrote him a ticket for keeping the bull

Sorry but to NOT be able to tell a rainbow and a bull trout apart.....you have to be daft or legally blind or you are keeping them on purpose and playing dumb.

LC
I hear what your saying Lefty , and I agree , but just from hearing the story I dont think this is ignorance I think its someone lack of Education in Identifying the species . How many times do we see it or hear about it happening . Unless it was all an act tough to say . As for a fine I think its more like a summons to come see me in Canmore Court House . Bull Trout are protected just like Sturgeon , Ive never seen any tickets handed out its a promise to appear notice .
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 PM

This thread reignited a fire in me. I saw almost the exact same thing on the upper lake last year. My wife, father in-law and myself were fishing from shore, and see these guys drift by in a boat a bit too close to me for my liking as I can clearly see what they had caught as they were going past. One guy looks at his buddy and asks him if it was a bull trout. His buddy said no when there was no question it was. He said oh well and in the live well it went. I got the guys attention that it was an illegal fish to keep and he gave me a good round of profanity and a hand gesture or two. It took a while for my wife to calm me down and I seriously debated about literally giving all my gear away to someone on our way back to the parking lot as I was fed up ( and still am) with fishing and with the kinds of people that are out there desicrating an activity I have enjoyed my whole life. It sickens me. Did I make a report?. Nope. Should I have? You bet.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:49 PM

If you see it happening please report them especially at K lakes.
The Ranger can be there within 20mins to any point of the lake.
We busted like 6 poachers at lower K using barbs and bait and they were all fined.
If your gonna use RAP anywhere do it at K lakes they will rush over!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Ok, now that I have calmed down a little bit. I will try and answer your question. Is it a lack of education? Yes and no, No for the simple fact that there has been mandatory catch and release of all bull trout since 1995, and that all water bodies containing these fish ( that I have seen anyway) have signs posted alerting you of this. The same as been posted in the regs for the last 17 years as well. So unless you are accessing water bodies where these signs are not posted or don't bother to read the regs, there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever to even have the thought of even keeping a bull trout.
Will a fish education course be the solution? I say no, as there is a lot of people that have taken the hunter eduction course that shouldn't be hunting let alone be in possession of a weapon period. For me, it is about the lack of enforcement and we all know that solution isn't going to get resolved anytime soon. People know they can get away with doing illegal activities because by the time they do get caught, it is more often than not too late and it won't bring the fish back. Will it prevent them from doing the same thing in the future? Depends on the person I guess.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
If you see it happening please report them especially at K lakes.
The Ranger can be there within 20mins to any point of the lake.
We busted like 6 poachers at lower K using barbs and bait and they were all fined.
If your gonna use RAP anywhere do it at K lakes they will rush over!
I realized that the next day when we left the campground. Met three officers on the highway. Good to see, and yes I did kick myself after for not phoning it in.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingForLife View Post
So a few questions......
you handled it correctly
guy in the oilers cap probably didnt know what kind of fish it was, or didnt know the regs either
you could have if you wanted, but the harm was already done
Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM

...... Blood pressure rising, seen it lots as well..
Old 07-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Banned

I think you handled it well.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 PM

In my opinoin you should have made a report for sure. Please don't think I'm judging you but too many people don't take enough time or have the proper respect for the wildlife, especially fish, that we are fortunate enough to have. I am wondering if that trout survived? From your account, I would be very surprised. For the average citizen it doesn't sound like a big deal to keep a fish they caught, but I think that is a big part of this "ignorance" problem.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:41 PM

Default privacy please

I hope guys like this get caught all the time!!!! I will say though, I would never have let you seen what I caught ever!!! You have no right to ask me to show you my fish!! I would have told you to take a hike!!! I have my regs with me all the time so I know 100% what I am doing!!! I believe 1000% that anglers and hunters have to always be held accountable. I you are not an officer than leave me alone and call F&W. You will know asap that I am legal as I wont leave when you pull your phone out to call. In fact I will wait with you but you can pound salt if you want to see my prize!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 PM

This is what hurts our fisheries here. Ignorant people...or defacto ass-clowns.

"Yeah dude, i'm gonna cast this spoon in and we'll get some supper...cook em in beer batter. Throw on that Nickelback cd will ya?"
Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol View Post

"Yeah dude, i'm gonna cast this spoon in and we'll get some supper...cook em in beer batter. Throw on that Nickelback cd will ya?"
Pretty severe judgement of someone you've never met.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Yah, I mean to call them poachers is one thing....BUT NICKELBACK FANS.....thats really low

LC
Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
X2, Just because people are of lower inteligence it doesnt give you the right to accuse them of owning Nickleback albums! Could have just called them morons or somthing less hurtfull but instead you had to go drop the N bomb.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 AM

Thanx for all the input every1. I definatly should have reported it. And definatly will next time. For the entire day, everytime I thought about it, I swore my blood could melt ice.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 AM

Always report illegal fishing and retention to report a poacher. Let the officer decide what to do. Otherwise...some people will never learn.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yah, I mean to call them poachers is one thing....BUT NICKELBACK FANS.....thats really low

LC
Haha, priceless.

Anyway, people need to understand what they are catching. When I first moved to Alberta the only trout I had caught was a Rainbow. I spent lots of time on the internet and reading the regs to help me distinguish between the different types of trout. It's really not that hard and can be kinda exciting, helps build up to the moment when you bring in your first brown or bull.