Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 10:29 PM

Default New Purchase Opinions

I’m looking into getting a new toy this week. My choices are the Ruger PC9 or the Kodiak Defense WK180 5.56. I will be, more than likely, buying both sooner than later, but with the current political bs, is there one I should be picking up sooner than the other? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:31 AM

My vote is for the pc9 in a backpacker stock or a keltec sub-2000. The sub-2000 can be bought for $750.

The wk 180s have been notoriously unreliable without several upgrade/repairs

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4life View Post
I’m looking into getting a new toy this week. My choices are the Ruger PC9 or the Kodiak Defense WK180 5.56. I will be, more than likely, buying both sooner than later, but with the current political bs, is there one I should be picking up sooner than the other? Thanks.
Can’t comment on the PC9 as I have never fired one but my wk180 has around 600 rounds down the pipe without any issues so far. Knock on wood. First thing I did when I brought it home was clean and relube everything. I have been very religious with fully disassembling and cleaning it everytime I go to the range and that has worked for me so far. They have a bad reputation but I think with proper care and maintenance you shouldn’t have any issues.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:30 AM

what are you using it for? They are completely different calibers. If you just want to have fun then get the PC9 first. The PC9 is a very compact, reliable, fun to shoot rifle and ammo would be on the cheapest side even with 9mm climbing but thats at all it is. something fun to tap out a few rounds at short range.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. Mostly just for fun but I do intend on purchasing both. I just wanted to hear what other people with experience with these guns thought of them.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:18 PM

I’ve put almost 2000 rounds through my WS MCR which is basically the same as the WK180. I put red loctite on the gas block screws as a precaution after a friend’s rifle had some issues.

I bought it as a relatively inexpensive rifle to allow me to keep shooting 3 gun nights at my club. I didn’t expect it to be a high end rig but it’s allowed me a couple of years of shooting and having fun. I’ve also used it in a few service rifle matches and it did okay there too.

Against better judgement, I plan on using something new this year. Is there a chance that these rifles will be prohibited? Yes, but I plan on shooting the heck out of them until I can’t.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4life View Post
I don't think you can count on anything NOT finding it's way onto our dictator's list. If memory serves, a Crosman (AR-looking) pellet gun made the list?

That aside, the WK180 as a more AR-ish look so based on that alone....might be higher-up on the ban list if/when that happens. The Liberals want them all.

Obviously, huge difference in the shooting experience between 223 and 9mm. The 223 could be used for a wider variety of hunting/varmint chores. Louder, more expensive to feed. If you're mostly plinking/reactive targets you might want to pick the Ruger. They have heavy barrels and no matter which one you pick, they're muzzle heavy as a result. The Rugers run like a top, and there are still deals to be found on 9mm once in a while. Less so on 223, and even less so on accurate 223 ammo you might choose for coyote hunting.

If you prefer the AR-look but want a gun that eats 9mm, you might consider the FX-9. Most people picking a 9mm carbine seem to be choosing between Ruger and the FX-9. I really like the FX-9 and it's lighter than the Ruger, I imagine Ruger parts/availability is better, and will be going forward.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:08 PM

I agree. They will try to ban anything they can think of that looks “scary”…. I ended up picking up the Kodiak WK180C gen 2 a couple days ago and have been very pleased with it so far. I looked into the fx9, but everywhere I asked, it was on backorder. I didn’t want to wait until they are all banned to get one…. I will be picking up the ruger pc9 in a couple of weeks once I have blown through enough 5.56 to make my wallet hurt. (Won’t be long, lol)
Old 03-17-2023, 10:13 PM

For those of you that are left handed, do not buy a FX9 unless you like small burn marks all over your right cheek.