Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2023, 11:24 AM

Default Requirements for Buying Ammo

After close to a year of waiting, my kid finally got his PAL in the mail. He ordered a rifle online is now looking to buy some ammo.

What ID are you required to show in order to buy ammo? Is it no ID at all so that even someone like me, who does not have a PAL, can buy the ammo for him or do you need to show your PAL? If you have to show a PAL, does the store take a copy of it? If you have to show your PAL and government ID, does the store copy your ID or personal information?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2023, 11:26 AM

You will need to show PAL to buy ammo from retailer. They don't record or keep copy of it, they just need to verify you can legally purchase.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-17-2023, 12:11 PM

^correct, a PAL is required.

Where I live (S. Ontario) these are the rules-they keep records;

Record keeping
4. (1) A person who holds a licence issued under subsection 56 (1) of the Firearms Act (Canada) to carry on a business that involves the sale of ammunition shall keep a record of the following information for all ammunition sales:

1. The date and time of the purchase.

2. The name, age and address of the purchaser.

3. The type of identification and permit produced and their serial numbers.

4. The calibre and quantity of ammunition purchased. 1994, c. 20, s. 4 (1); 2009, c. 33, Sched. 9, s. 1 (4).
Old 03-17-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
^correct, a PAL is required.

Where I live (S. Ontario) these are the rules-they keep records;

Record keeping
4. (1) A person who holds a licence issued under subsection 56 (1) of the Firearms Act (Canada) to carry on a business that involves the sale of ammunition shall keep a record of the following information for all ammunition sales:

1. The date and time of the purchase.

2. The name, age and address of the purchaser.

3. The type of identification and permit produced and their serial numbers.

4. The calibre and quantity of ammunition purchased. 1994, c. 20, s. 4 (1); 2009, c. 33, Sched. 9, s. 1 (4).
And that’s why it’s called Ontairible!

There are no absolutes
Old 03-17-2023, 12:57 PM

Yea right. Ontario conservatives aren’t conservative enough???
Old 03-17-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Correct.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
IIRC That law was put in place by the Dalton McGuinty Liberals in 2009. The Liberals (McGuinty then Wynne) controlled Onterrible from 2003 until 2018 when Doug Ford's Conservatives took the helm. The fact this record keeping law is still on the books should serve as an example of how difficult it is to reverse the Liberal agenda; once you start down their slippery slope, there is little chance of turning back.
So, it's best to not give them the opportunity to push their agenda.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-17-2023, 06:17 PM

This is why I choose to reload and cast, never had to show my pal to the reloading bench yet or to the casting bench and never asked for one when purchasing components yet, self sufficiency has some perks can even swage jacketed projectiles if needed
Old 03-18-2023, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
This is why I choose to reload and cast, never had to show my pal to the reloading bench yet or to the casting bench and never asked for one when purchasing components yet, self sufficiency has some perks can even swage jacketed projectiles if needed
God amongst men i tell ya...

Pretty sure Alberta stores are taking down your personal info when you buy powder though. I haven't had to buy powder in a few years..
Old 03-18-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
Ya but…
The Explosive Act and its Regulations state….

294 (1) Before selling propellant powder to a buyer, the seller must require the buyer to establish their identity by providing

(a) a piece of identification, issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial, municipal or foreign government, that bears a photograph of the buyer; or

(b) two pieces of identification, each of which sets out the buyer’s name, at least one of which is issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial, municipal or foreign government and at least one of which sets out the buyer’s address.

Marginal note:Verification of identity

(2) If the buyer provides a piece of identification that bears a photograph, the seller must ensure, before selling the propellant powder, that the photograph is that of the buyer.

Marginal note:Record of sale

295 A seller must keep a record of each sale of propellant powder for two years after the date of the sale. The record must include the following information:

(a) the buyer’s name and address or the number of their licence, if any, issued under the Firearms Act;

(b) in the case of a licensed buyer, the licence number and expiry date;

(c) the type and Footnote *product name of the powder sold, the size of the container in which it was sold and the name of the person who obtained its authorization;

(d) the quantity of powder sold under each product name; and

(e) the date of the sale.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-18-2023, 01:11 PM

^ Interesting. I didn't know that. Bought some powder in December (?), they simply carried it for me to the cashier, where I paid and was on my way. No records of any kind. Don’t think I was asked an id either, but cannot be 100% certain. And this shop recorded your and gun info when it wasn’t required when you purchased a firearm from them.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Interesting. I didn't know that. Bought some powder in December (?), they simply carried it for me to the cashier, where I paid and was on my way. No records of any kind. Don’t think I was asked an id either, but cannot be 100% certain. And this shop recorded your and gun info when it wasn’t required when you purchased a firearm from them.
It’s always been like that. Some store record your info some don’t. Nothing new…