Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-20-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
You would think that most any dealer still has stock of pistols, as I don't think they all were sold before the freeze, but I could be wrong.
Sure, but they are not allowed to sell them.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:42 AM

That is my question. Even if you can buy, who can sell?
Old 03-20-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I don't see what the problem is. If you're the seller you contact the CFC and see if you can sell it to this guy. They will know if he holds the necessary exemption. If they say yes............it's all good to go, initiate the transfer. If they say no then it's not good to go. Don't see why there is all this speculation and suspicion.
No "problem" persay, But if you can't see that the "speculation and suspicion" comes from the lack of information available to the general public then IDK. All indicators, given the circumstances, point to this being a fruitless attempt to purchase a handgun.

The two replies above this compound my assumption.

My 2 pennies...
Old 03-20-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
No "problem" persay, But if you can't see that the "speculation and suspicion" comes from the lack of information available to the general public then IDK. All indicators, given the circumstances, point to this being a fruitless attempt to purchase a handgun.

The two replies above this compound my assumption.

My 2 pennies...
Agree. Also claimed he was a "Federal Agent" knocking on doors for the Census survey. That seems odd but maybe I am totally off base. The whole things does seem a bit fishy though.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Agree. Also claimed he was a "Federal Agent" knocking on doors for the Census survey. That seems odd but maybe I am totally off base. The whole things does seem a bit fishy though.
That was a joke!! That's the closest I've ever been to being a "Federal Agent." That was mostly in response to someone who said, "Nice try Fed."

I don't know if this is possible but I thought I'd try. If I find someone, I'll call CFC and they'll say yea or nay. The political side of this thread is WAY bigger than is warranted. I was looking for help, not hostility. Sorry I bothered you all.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:41 PM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I don't see what the problem is. If you're the seller you contact the CFC and see if you can sell it to this guy. They will know if he holds the necessary exemption. If they say yes............it's all good to go, initiate the transfer. If they say no then it's not good to go. Don't see why there is all this speculation and suspicion.
Thank you. This is all I was looking for.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Sure, but they are not allowed to sell them.
If a private seller is able to sell to someone that is in an exemption category, even more so the dealers would be able to. You would think they would have an easier time to sell to someone exempt than a private citizen would.

If I was in your shoes, I would call the CFC and get the info even before looking for one. That way you have all the info to supply to the seller, as they may not know what they are able to do. My 2 cents.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:16 PM

Just wondering.....are you saying your ATC is valid 24-7....365 Or just while performing your duties as an armoured car driver ?? Do you somehow plan on piggy backing off your ATC for purchasing and private use with a different handgun.....??
To me you must have an RPAL and legally owned gun before the freeze and transport directly to range and back home like the rest of us ..?? No offence intended , just wondering.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
If you want to purchase a handgun quickly I would suggest you find your local gang banger, drug dealer criminal, you know the type. They should be able to service your needs or point you in the right direction if you have cash. They don't care about permits and legalities.
What a great and helpful post.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Just wondering.....are you saying your ATC is valid 24-7....365 Or just while performing your duties as an armoured car driver ?? Do you somehow plan on piggy backing off your ATC for purchasing and private use with a different handgun.....??
To me you must have an RPAL and legally owned gun before the freeze and transport directly to range and back home like the rest of us ..?? No offence intended , just wondering.
This is what I am saying as well. You have an ATC which is issued by your employer for the purposes of employment. It does not apply to personally owned firearms. Again maybe I am wrong but seems a bit odd that someone would be asking on a forum about this. Maybe ask your employer if your ATC applies for personally owned firearms,that should clear it up right quick. Make some other inquiries etc. Sounds like putting the cart before the horse.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:43 PM

Many for sale on Gunpost.

https://www.gunpost.ca/search/site?key=glock+17

As far as I understand it, having the ATC makes you exempted from the handgun freeze.

Transfers are being handled still by the CFO as long as you meet the criteria laid out in the handgun freeze.

Once transfer is approved it would be just like everybody else having an RPAL who already owns a handgun. To the range and back with his new Glock.

ATC applies for the work gun/duty.

Good luck!

Last edited by guysmiley; 03-21-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Many for sale on Gunpost.

https://www.gunpost.ca/search/site?key=glock+17

As far as I understand it, having the ATC makes you exempted from the handgun freeze.

Transfers are being handled still by the CFO as long as you meet the criteria laid out in the handgun freeze.

Once transfer is approved it would be just like everybody else having an RPAL who already owns a handgun. To the range and back with his new Glock.

ATC applies for the work gun/duty.

Good luck!
Exactly... And he's supplied with one, so the likely response from the RCMP / CFC will be "you don't need your own"...

If his ATC was for wilderness carry, he might be able to justify the purchase of a new-to-him handgun.

We could all be wrong, maybe they'll give the OP the green-light ! Guess he has to sort that out with them, not here on the interwebs...

Old 03-21-2023, 02:39 PM

I sure hope the OP will update if he is able or unable to purchase a handgun with his ATC.

I am on the side that this ATC in particular is limited to the time on duty. But if he can “piggy back” and get a gun, good luck and all the best and hope he can do it. Just because most of us cannot should not stop the OP for a second if he is set on obtaining one and has legal means to do so.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet River View Post
Likely getting info from here:
https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/c...ms/c21-en.aspx

National "freeze" on handguns
A national freeze on the sale, purchase or transfer of handguns by individuals within Canada, and bringing newly-acquired handguns into Canada came into force by regulations on October 21, 2022.

Individuals can continue to possess and use their registered handguns and can sell or transfer their registered handguns to exempted individuals or businesses. Requests submitted by individuals before October 21, 2022 to transfer a handgun within Canada will continue to be processed.

Businesses:
Authorized businesses with proper storage (i.e., retailers) can continue to import and sell handguns to other businesses (e.g., gunsmiths, museums, valuable goods carriers, retailers, movie and theatrical industry), law enforcement, defence personnel and exempted individuals.
Exemptions:
Anyone who holds an Authorization to Carry handguns; and,
Individuals who train, compete or coach in a handgun shooting discipline that is on the programme of the International Olympic Committee or the International Paralympic Committee.

The national freeze on handguns came into force, via regulatory amendments to the Firearms Act, upon approval by the Governor General and registration on October 21, 2022. The regulations have been in force since then. Link to the Order in Council: https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/...=42706&lang=en

The text of the Regulations was published in the Canada Gazette, Part II on November 9, 2022.
The way I read this is that “authorized business” are allowed to sell to …. Including people with an ATC. I don’t read that as anyone with an ATC being fully exempt and being able to purchase from anyone, only from actual businesses. I could be reading that wrong though.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:13 PM

^ It says there in pretty simple language that individuals can sell their handguns to those who fall under exception and businesses:

Individuals can continue to possess and use their registered handguns and can sell or transfer their registered handguns to exempted individuals or businesses.

Supposedly, anyone can sell their handgun to a business (such as a gun store?) willing to purchase.

I know I saw some handguns on the shelves of a couple stores in January. Nothing particularly interesting though.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
On the surface I see what you’re saying, so this is not to slag you in any way, but I hardly doubt a new armoured guard employee who has never owned a gun before would be prohibited from owning one now. I know a buddy who used to work for loomis over a decade ago and he had yo purchase his own pistol, believe he bought a 686.

It’s for sure silly that you he company won’t buy them, but I do think this guy is being honest. It’s easy yo find out for anyone wishing yo
Sell. Typically it is the seller that initiates the transfer, but doesn’t have to be the one to initiate.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
On the surface I see what you’re saying, so this is not to slag you in any way, but I hardly doubt a new armoured guard employee who has never owned a gun before would be prohibited from owning one now. I know a buddy who used to work for loomis over a decade ago and he had yo purchase his own pistol, believe he bought a 686.

It’s for sure silly that you he company won’t buy them, but I do think this guy is being honest. It’s easy yo find out for anyone wishing yo
Sell. Typically it is the seller that initiates the transfer, but doesn’t have to be the one to initiate.
I think people are making this more complicated than it needs to be and making lots of assumptions. If the op would ask his employer he would get an answer. He also said his employer provides a pistol but he wants to purchase his own to "practice" with.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:06 AM

I don't think his employer would know if he is personally allowed to purchase or not. To me this has nothing to do with his employer. It would be a question for a cfo.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I don't think his employer would know if he is personally allowed to purchase or not. To me this has nothing to do with his employer. It would be a question for a cfo.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
You would expect since his employer obtained the ATC for their employees to carry firearms at work they would know the conditions of said ATC. As you mentioned a call to the CFO probably wouldn't hurt either if for some reason he still doesn't have any clarification.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:57 AM

Default Answering Questions

1. I'm buying it from a private person, not a business
  2. My ATC is only valid while I work. Outside of those hours, I have to meet the same requirements as everyone else.
  3. I know everything my ATC lets me and doesn't let me do, as does my employer. I wasn't asking anyone about my ATC; I was only bringing it up because it's what makes me exempt from the transfer ban.
  4. Employer supplied my firearm but I would like to practice more.
  5. If I needed it, my employer could tell me anything about my ATC but that's not what I needed. I was looking for something like gunpost.ca (thanks guysmiley)
  6. All of the info is submitted to the CFC and they haven't said "No" yet. I expect it will take a while to process. I'll update this list if it works.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:26 PM

I hope it works out for you!
Old 03-30-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanHoggan View Post
  1. I'm buying it from a private person, not a business
  2. My ATC is only valid while I work. Outside of those hours, I have to meet the same requirements as everyone else.
  3. I know everything my ATC lets me and doesn't let me do, as does my employer. I wasn't asking anyone about my ATC; I was only bringing it up because it's what makes me exempt from the transfer ban.
  4. Employer supplied my firearm but I would like to practice more.
  5. If I needed it, my employer could tell me anything about my ATC but that's not what I needed. I was looking for something like gunpost.ca (thanks guysmiley)
  6. All of the info is submitted to the CFC and they haven't said "No" yet. I expect it will take a while to process. I'll update this list if it works.

Happy to help, good luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-01-2023, 09:27 AM

It appears this post has been clarified. I to have ATC, in simple terms: I can Buy/Sell/Transfer handguns. However can Only buy from Gun Shop or someone that Also holds a valid ATC.
PS Every handgun is traceable so would not suggest under counter transfer.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post

However I can only buy from Gun Shop or someone that also holds a valid ATC...
Apparently, that is not the case... Based on "my" and other people's interpretation of the amendments posted by Prophet River.

But IMHO, that won't be his issue.

He is provided a sidearm for which his ATC was initially granted, and likely isn't allowed to carry any personally owned firearm (this is the linchpin, which the OP hasn't stated) while at work.

Asking the CFC (or maybe your Provincial CFO, if you're lucky enough to have it deferred to them) to buy a handgun, given his circumstances and the current political agenda...

I don't think he'll get approval. But again.

Quote:
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
- Wayne Gretzky
Old 04-04-2023, 09:17 AM

He can own and still buy as many handguns as he wants with his ATC. He cannot take other private handguns with him on the job, but can take them to range for practice.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:53 AM

Seems to me that the good folks at Prophet River provided the OP with some relevant and factual information.

If the OP wants to purchase, why not contact PR directly to see if they can sell him the handgun legally?
Old 06-14-2023, 12:59 PM

Default No Dice

Hi all,

I just got the answer from CFC: Nope. Practice doesn't count. I would have to be carrying it on duty for me to be eligible to buy it.

Very disappointing.

Donovan

Tags
handgun, pistol, sale