Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2022, 09:32 AM

Default Sauer S100 rifles, experience shooting one?

I just ordered a Sauer S100 Classic, blued with wood stock, chambered in 270Win.
New gun excitement!

I'm wondering if anyone on here owns one, has owned one and has any comments on the platform?
I know a guy who hunts with a Sauer 202 in 300WM, loves it.

For those not familiar with the brand, it's the same parent company as Sig Sauer, they've been making guns since the 1700's, hit a little rough patch post 1945 when their main customer surrendered to the Allies.
Made some rifles for Weatherby, German made, sub MOA guaranty, aluminum bedding blocks, hammer forged barrel, 10 year warranty
Seems like a good bet.

Would love to hear peoples experience with the rifle.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:54 AM

I have one in 9.3x62 very accurate however I really am not a fan of its ergonomics it feels kinda clubby and it is copper mine Ive never owned a rifle that fouled as bad trigger is exellent the magazine is well thought out perhaps I may give the stock a reduction this winter my $.02
Cheers Tony
Old 12-19-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
perhaps I may give the stock a reduction this winter my $.02
Cheers Tony
Just be aware that when you start sanding it down it is not walnut but rather stained hardwood, sand thru the stain and you will have very light colored wood that will be hard to touch up and make look the same as the rest of the stock.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I have one in 9.3x62 very accurate however I really am not a fan of its ergonomics it feels kinda clubby and it is copper mine Ive never owned a rifle that fouled as bad trigger is exellent the magazine is well thought out perhaps I may give the stock a reduction this winter my $.02
Cheers Tony
Thanks for your $0.02.

Interesting about the copper fouling. Are you shooting Barnes bullets?
Old 12-19-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Just be aware that when you start sanding it down it is not walnut but rather stained hardwood, sand thru the stain and you will have very light colored wood that will be hard to touch up and make look the same as the rest of the stock.
I was told it's stained Beechwood.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:30 PM

I have found it actually fouls more with accubonds than the ttsx go figure I have heard of another fellow having fouling issues also for what it is worth buy more wipe out I guess .
I knew they were not walnut maybe I'll just go to town on the entire stock i dunno yet im undecided they really would be marvelous if someone made an aftermarket stock
Cheers
Old 12-19-2022, 03:44 PM

I had a classic XT in .30-06. Great value. I really liked the ergonomics and stock shape, worked well for me. LOP is long but I am tall with long arms. I wish more rifles had a negative comb angle. Excellent trigger, very accurate. I prefer the magazine design to Tikka's.

I only sold it to fund another project.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:27 PM

My cousin has one in .308. Synthetic stock though. Felt a bit heavy or something when I briefly handled it, though it is also topped with some 50 mm Zeiss, if I recall correctly. He has had it for about year, I think, and seems to enjoy it. We never had any long conversation in regards to that rifle, but he did say he liked it. Shot it to 500m and can consistently hit the “vitals” with it at that distance. He is no “sniper” by any means and likely wouldn’t shoot at game that far, but it works for him at the range. Not sure if any of it helps, but here it is, lol.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
My cousin has one in .308. Synthetic stock though. Felt a bit heavy or something when I briefly handled it, though it is also topped with some 50 mm Zeiss, if I recall correctly. He has had it for about year, I think, and seems to enjoy it. We never had any long conversation in regards to that rifle, but he did say he liked it. Shot it to 500m and can consistently hit the “vitals” with it at that distance. He is no “sniper” by any means and likely wouldn’t shoot at game that far, but it works for him at the range. Not sure if any of it helps, but here it is, lol.
Your cousin sounds like he shoots like I shoot. I'll shoot steel gongs out that far but probably wouldn't shoot at an animal past 400 yards, unless conditions were perfect.
I wanted a wood stock 270 and have been a loyal Remington guy but they're not the rifle they used to be. I saw the Sauers at an Outdoor show and liked the styling a lot. I'm stoked. This will be my first new rifle in a while.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I had a classic XT in .30-06. Great value. I really liked the ergonomics and stock shape, worked well for me. LOP is long but I am tall with long arms. I wish more rifles had a negative comb angle. Excellent trigger, very accurate. I prefer the magazine design to Tikka's.

I only sold it to fund another project.
I like the mag release button being inset. I used to have a Rem 700 in a Cadex chassis with a big mag release lever on it. Somewhere in wmu 308 is my mag.....
Old 03-13-2023, 10:16 PM

I have one in a 6.5 CM and a 6.5PRC .. they put my Xbolts to shame.. Just my 120 cents...LOL
Old 03-20-2023, 09:14 AM
Banned

Love mine.. I cant think of a better gun in this price point .