Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-06-2023, 10:29 AM

Default Browning BPS recoil pad

Hey Guys,

I’ve been using my new to me BPS to shoot clays for a few months now and recently working more on my mount.

I’m having a problem with the bottom edge of the recoil pad digging into my pec mussel. It has got me thinking that maybe the recoil pad on the gun isn’t be best option for clays. I’ve noticed a lot of dedicated clay guns have more rounded edges on the pad than mine.

Do I need to work on my mount more or is a better recoil pad going to help

Old 01-06-2023, 11:47 AM

Default recoil pads

Those old pachmeyer type pads tended to harden up pretty good over time. Personally I would get a competent gunsmith to change it out. Maybe try the Limbsaver line. Limbsavers are generally rounded on all the edges except where the butt contacts the pad, and a good smith can do a proper grind to fit.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:50 AM

Pachmayr makes a "Sporting Clays" pad with a solid heel part for smooth mounting and rounded features throughout the rest of the pads profile. You will find their "Old English" pad a little easier to come by, and it will work well for you.
Both of these pads will have the Decelerator rubber in them, they will also require fitting by a gunsmith unless you have the means to fit them up yourself. D.H.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:21 PM

I would cut the stock slightly and change the pitch when putting a new recoil pad on .
Old 01-06-2023, 02:02 PM

I think this one has screws holding it on. Would there be something that is a direct screw on replacement or do I need to get it professionally installed?
Old 01-06-2023, 02:42 PM

Yes it is screwed on , older ones used a slotted screw I’m not sure if new ones switches to Philips ? To change pitch on stock and install pad and not bubba it should be done by a pro. Don’t think you will find a prefit pad for a BPS ?
Old 01-06-2023, 04:44 PM

Was this stock/pad fitted to you, or is it the way you bought it. Proper shotgun stock fit is the place to start, then talk about the recoil you want or don't want.

By the way I shoot BPS as well, but fitted the stock to me.

Vic
Old 01-06-2023, 05:11 PM

Nothing on this has been fitted to me. I bought it second hand and have been using it every other week since Aug

I’ll talk to the guys at Silver Willow next time I’m there about getting it fitted to me
Old 03-23-2023, 07:33 PM

So I thought I would drop an update here.
I did a fitting with Luther at Silver Willow and he replaced my recoil pad with a Morgan pad.

Today was my first time using it and I can’t believe the difference. My mount feels better with the length of pull shortened and the recoil is so much less hitting the right place on my shoulder.

I didn’t score myself today as I just wanted to get my mount sorted out but I think is going to make a big difference