Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-12-2016, 05:17 PM

Question "Line" Definitions

I was looking at line / leaders and tippets today and was simply curious what would "happen" if you used packages with different labels. We are of course using all materials with the same diameters.

Fluorocarbon fishing line
Fluorocarbon leader (not a tapered leader just spool labelled leader material)
Fluorocarbon tippet

Say a 3x Fluorocarbon tapered leader since it seems to be one of the more popular sizes. Which is 0.008"
Old 08-12-2016, 09:35 PM

I'm not exactly sure what the question is....can you clarify what you are asking?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:36 PM

Not sure how I can be more clear ... you have three lines with the same diameter ... would they perform different?

Guess I answered my own question. The tippet is "rated" for 4 more lbs, but I guess that could be a brand thing not a tippet thing.

Last edited by millsboy79; 08-12-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:48 PM

The tapered leader is designed to turn over a fly, something that is much more important when dry fly fishing. These can be constructed in sections or bought as a tapered product. If using straight fluoro without taper, turnover would be much more difficult. As for differences between equivalent diameters of fluoro as leader material or tippet sections, I wouldn't think there would be any difference other than differences between brands. I tend to use factory tapered leaders when fishing dries but construct my own leaders when nymphing.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:52 PM

That being said, a good caster can turn over almost anything within reason.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
The tapered leader is designed to turn over a fly, something that is much more important when dry fly fishing. These can be constructed in sections or bought as a tapered product. If using straight fluoro without taper, turnover would be much more difficult. As for differences between equivalent diameters of fluoro as leader material or tippet sections, I wouldn't think there would be any difference other than differences between brands. I tend to use factory tapered leaders when fishing dries but construct my own leaders when nymphing.
NOT talking about a tapered leader ...

Talking about replacing tippet material with something not labelled tippet.

Guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been, sorry.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:00 PM

You mention 3x tapered leader at the end of your original post which is why I was confused about the question. I just gave you a little more information than you asked for. You need to chill out man, people who are more experienced than you are trying to help you and you seem to jump all over them when they don't give you exactly what you want/ask for. This happened in the belly boat thread when multiple people were advising you to wear a lifejacket. Our intention was to keep you safe but for whatever reason you seemed to take offence to that. Anyway, I'm happy to give you advice on what I can but your tone should probably change if you want guys to keep helping you out. Sorry about the sidetrack.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:03 PM

I also see you edited the post that sounded snide which I just replied to. Sometimes things come across different in posts than in person, maybe just a misunderstanding. Thank you for changing the language.

Last edited by highwood; 08-12-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:11 AM

never used somethng labelled "tippet" in 40 years of fly fishing....it is not necessary.
Find the right breaking strength/line diameter size that makes you happy and use it.
Non "flyfishing only" materials may save you some pennies
Old 08-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Yes. You can use Maxima or other "fishing line" instead of "tippet". Maxima Ultragreen is sold in many fly shops for use as tippet.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:37 PM

EDIT: Read the entire thread...realized 1/2 of what I wrote is not relevant to discussion. Still leaving it here if someone wants to read through it.

There are 2 different components here;

First: mono vs fluorocarbon
This is essentially the chemical makeup of your fishing line. There are endless debates on which one is better. I personally prefer fluoro in almost every situation, but it is not without its limitations. Here are some random points
- Fluoro is considerably more expensive.
- Fluoro sinks faster than mono (which is why people tend to not use if for dry flies).
- Fluoro has an index of refraction closer to water, which *should* make it harder to see in water.
- Mono has a great deal more stretch to it
- Mono tends to hold its knots better (because of the stretch)
- Fluoro is more resistant to the effects of nicks, which is why most people use fluoro for pike leaders and in saltwater.
- Mono is subject to UV degradation

Second: Leader vs Line vs Tippet
All 3 of these will come in either fluoro or mono flavours (and braid, but not generally relevant to fly fishing)
Leader material is generally stiffer and thicker than most line and tippet. Leader material will have a higher degree of nick resistance. Fly fishing, however, tapered leaders do not seem to be specific leader material, which is a little confusing, but the butt sections of tapered leaders are still thicker and, therefore, more resistant to nicks.
Line is the material you tie your hook. Tippet is also the material you tie your hook to.
For most applications, you can use tippet and line interchangeably, however, tippet usually a smaller line diameter for the same break strength. It is probably for this reason tippet also seems more supple.

For dry flies, I tend to use mono tapered leaders with either fluoro or mono tippet. Fluoro does sink, but it has smaller diameter so surface tension seems to keep it up. You have to be careful when tying mono to fluoro since fluoro has inherent sharp edges that can cut through mono. Mono can 'go bad'; I do not like this unreliability.

For nymphs and streamers, I usually make my own leaders. I use fluoro leader material and standard fluoro fishing line. For floating line streamers, a 3 section taper leader: 40# leader (butt section) -> 25# leader (middle) -> 15# line. You can easily get away with a section of 15# line, but i find the taper makes a difference once you are in windy conditions.
For nymphing, 40# leader (butt section) -> 25# leader (middle) -> swivel or tippet ring -> appropriate size line or tippet for fish and fly. If I am nymphing more technical waters, I will use a standard tapered leader appropriate for the fish.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:19 PM

If you are looking at this thread from a financial perspective the original thread makes more sense. At least it does for me, as I also when through this phase of playing around with different types of lines.

In my system, I only use tippet, the RIO spool, for dry fly fishing.
As the tippet is much more supple than other line types that I own currently of the same diameter.

For nymphing, I am now almost exclusively using fluro which is expensive. As I also tend to go through more line and flies when nymphing. For me it made more financial sense to just use berkley vanish in different pound test in my nymphing system.

Another Tip WRT line:

If you add a tippet ring to your tapered leaders it can help extend the life of your tapered leaders.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishin...the-dark-side/

Hope that helps..