Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2020, 07:10 AM

Default $150-200 spinning rods

Hey all, looking for a little feedback on what is out there for the best rod for the money in the $150-200 range. Will more than likely be medium weight, fast action and will be general use rods for mostly walleye and pike. Will almost solely get used/stored in the boat so can be 1 piece or 2 piece, and will mostly be used for casting with occasional jigging.

Let me know what you’re using or what your thoughts are.

Thx
Old 04-06-2020, 07:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers why spend so much?

I got a thirty year old crappy special rod and reel still going strong....check out Wally World and crappy tire....a medium action type ugly stick comes to mind....

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-com...o/1314552.html

So,etc,e a little goes a long way eh.....now you free'd up some cash for tackle and gas

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-06-2020, 07:38 AM

I like the Pflueger Supreme series

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 35 whelen; 04-06-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:51 AM
Banned

you've definitely got WAY more money than me
Old 04-06-2020, 08:10 AM

The good 'ol Shimano Compre walleye series. Comes in around the $150 mark, maybe less if you can find it on a spring sale.

Either a 7MF or 66MF. I'd lean toward the 7MF if you plan to use it as an all around rod.

If you want to push the upper end of your range and you can find them on a spring sale, the G Loomis E6X could likely be had for a little over your $200 target. If you get real lucky, you might even find one of the IMX or GLX rods on sale for 40% off at The Fishin' Hole, then you're really in business.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 AM

I have tried out a couple of the Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye Series rods. They seem pretty good to me.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I like the Pflueger Supreme series

Oops. Thought It said spinning reels, spinning rods can't go wrong with Loomis

Old 04-06-2020, 10:24 AM
Banned

As a tournament angler I hang my hat on Quantum. I have several PT Lite and Smoke models that can be had for around 150$

Free
Old 04-06-2020, 03:14 PM

Nearly 50 years guiding I’ve seen them all and used most. Bang for the buck in that price range presently would be St. Croix. Premier or up to the Avid series.
Best of luck this year.

Osky
Old 04-06-2020, 03:16 PM

St Croix yup.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:19 PM

Shimano Clarus and St Croix Premier are the two best rods I've ever owned and totally worth every penny. Paired with Pflueger President reel.....amazing combination.

Personally, I'm on the hunt for a decent trolling combo for running cranks this summer. I've only had a boat since September, so this is really my first full year being able to do the "trolling cranks" thing. Thinking the Cabelas trolling combo in 7'6" might be the way I go.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
As a tournament angler I hang my hat on Quantum. I have several PT Lite and Smoke models that can be had for around 150$

Free
YUP ..... That's what I'd do with a Quantum too - probably holds hats very well.

BUT .... If I was to use it for fishing it would be a St.Croix !!!!!!!!!

Excellent sensitivity and durability. I'd say top pick in that price range.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post

Free
I enjoy a good quantum rod. Love my smoke rods and for a little less money I don’t think u can go wrong with the accurist
Old 04-06-2020, 06:50 PM

try one of these

https://www.cabelas.ca/category/spinning-combos/613

David
Old 04-06-2020, 07:01 PM

Rem, I decided to splurge and treat myself to an “above average” spinning rod/reel combo myself. The guys on this forum were a great help with offering lots of stories and opinions regarding warranty, sensitivity, rod components, durability......etc. I decided on a St Croix Legend Tournament Walleye rod 6’6” ML Fast and paired it with an Abu Garcia MGX 20, great setup but pretty pricey. I also picked up a Shimano Stradic Ci4 and paired it with a Fenwick HMG 6’10” ML rod. It’s tough to beat the feel and sensitivity of the StCroix/Abu setup but the HMG rod paired with either the Abu or Stradic is a VERY close second. Good luck and have fun with your shopping, let us geeks know what you decide on .
Old 04-06-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Shimano Clarus and St Croix Premier are the two best rods I've ever owned and totally worth every penny. Paired with Pflueger President reel.....amazing combination.

Personally, I'm on the hunt for a decent trolling combo for running cranks this summer. I've only had a boat since September, so this is really my first full year being able to do the "trolling cranks" thing. Thinking the Cabelas trolling combo in 7'6" might be the way I go.
We finally made enough noise that Shimano listened and brought back the Compre trolling rod. In my opinion, and guys that I know that are serious about cranking agree, it’s the gold standard.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13244...SAAEgLm3vD_BwE

A line counter reel is a must. If it’s in the budget, the Shimano Tekota is the ultimate, but there are other good options out there too if it’s not in the budget.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post

That is a nice combo. This past summer I changed up to a Revo SX reels and I am really impressed with the match. Really good balance.

Osky
Old 04-06-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka300 View Post
I have tried out a couple of the Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye Series rods. They seem pretty good to me.
x2. Still running my Walleye Class spinning rod has to be 15years old. Awesome rods at price point. Own several others Fenwicks. My go to for sure.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
The good 'ol Shimano Compre walleye series. Comes in around the $150 mark, maybe less if you can find it on a spring sale.

Either a 7MF or 66MF. I'd lean toward the 7MF if you plan to use it as an all around rod.

If you want to push the upper end of your range and you can find them on a spring sale, the G Loomis E6X could likely be had for a little over your $200 target. If you get real lucky, you might even find one of the IMX or GLX rods on sale for 40% off at The Fishin' Hole, then you're really in business.

This x2.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-13-2020, 11:12 PM

St criox or fennwick . 150.-200 will buy you a very good rod but it is by no means the top end of quality rods and like anything else you get what you pay for . I use st criox and fennwick and the king of rods g loomis and depending on what type of fishing you do they all have there place .
Old 04-14-2020, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
YUP ..... That's what I'd do with a Quantum too - probably holds hats very well.

BUT .... If I was to use it for fishing it would be a St.Croix !!!!!!!!!

Excellent sensitivity and durability. I'd say top pick in that price range.

Caught my first tournament walleye (10.5#) of any consequence on a borrowed 7'SuperLite PT spinning rod and Quantum Energy PT10 with a 9', 6# Lindy rig and leech, using my off-hand. I had so much fun I did it again an hour later.
Sadly they came on a Wednesday on the river but I bought the same set-up from some guy named the reel doctor on his hotel parking lot that evening, full retail no tax. Got a bunch since then and I've noticed that in 5 years my new partner has broken as many ST. Croix as I have Smokes. From abuse.

In fairness, I use 18 rods from ice to fibreglass halibut and only 7 are Quantum, including an Ugly Stik for ice-off pike.

Sort of a "name-yer-poison" proposition.

Free
Old 04-15-2020, 02:18 PM

Personally I'm really liking the Fenwick HMG rods, although they are not as pricey as what you're after.

My opinion is the best rods are backed with the best warranties. Of all the gear I own, my rods are whats going to break first and most often. I wrote a comparison a while back on rod warranties, give it a read:

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/t...od-warranties/
Old 04-15-2020, 02:31 PM

Very interesting topic. While I have both spin and cast G Loomis and a few St. Croix (I know it's a sickness) But I was at Bass last summer and by chance checked out their Tourney rods. They have a green trim easy to spot. 70 Bucks and you would not believe the rod.

I bought a 6ft. 2 pc. lite for jigging walleye and especially perch. Put a 1000 reel on it and am very impressed with the feel especially very lite walley or perch.

Was so impressed I went back and bought a 6.5 medium. Still not sure what I will do with that one but they were on sale at Cabella for 40 bucks so as everyone knows sometimes they force you to buy something.

While they will not replace my other rods they are nice to have in the boat ready to go. You will not be disapointed.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:06 AM

I quite like my quantum smokes but I tend to lean towards the quantum vapor lineup. Havent had a complaint or broken either model in the last few years of tourny and regular fishing. and trust me ive broken many many rods.