Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-06-2008, 08:37 PM

Default Best Trap gun?

hey guys I just joined a trap club, what should | be using for a gun? Semi? side x side, over under? or single shot?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUGARWE View Post
hey guys I just joined a trap club, what should | be using for a gun? Semi? side x side, over under? or single shot?

Thanks for the help!
You "Just" don't join a trap club without having one or more scatterguns..

So why don't you go first and tell us what you have??
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM

I have a ton of guns, and I did do a little skeet shooting when I was younger. I only had a pump shotgun at the time and I am looking for some advice on what I should be using as I "just" joined the club and I am looking for some help in the decision making process. If you have a pointless comment like Jester join the I'm a goof forum
Old 07-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Default DB

I find it easiest to use either a single shot for single skeets.....or a double barrel. Thats just my preference though.....
Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 PM

Thanks James, I was watching the competition today and noticed most of the guys were using single shots.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 PM

You can use whatever the heck you want to use... I'd suggest using whatever gun you hunt birds with. If you get good at it and want to compete, there are better options, but... An auto works great for both trap and skeet.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUGARWE View Post
If you have a pointless comment like Jester join the I'm a goof forum
Dude...That was totally uncalled for..

First,you ask for help and when someone asks you what you currently have you blurt out..

Quote:
I have a ton of guns,
So....Mr.Expert....Why did you even ask for help when you are a know it all??

btw.....my all time favourite scattergun was/is an Ithaca model xl300..

12ga. 2 3/4 inch only...I never shot a 25 with it but a 24 is good in my books..

One more thing....Post that addy that you speak off....ok?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Banned

Ok, what you first need to decide is if you wish to take the sport serious. And by serious I mean you want to compete

Then if you do, go get yourself a Trap Gun, a Skeet Gun and a Sporting clays gun. They are all different.

Where do you live?
What Trap club were you at today?

If you want to take it a bit serious, then I would recommend a O/U Browning Citori. Plenty of them around if you know where to look. There are not to many regular shotguns around that can handle the thousands of shells you will shoot. You can expect to pay around $1,000-$1,500.

You mentioned that you saw lots of guns at the competition today that were shooting single shots, in fact they probably have a 2 barrel set. A single barrel for singles and a double barrel for doubles. Or the guy has 2 shotguns

I assume you were at Calgary as that was the big shoot this weekend. You were fortunate to see some of the best shooters in Western Canada and a few that rank up there with the best in the world.

Its a great sport, please let me know if I can be of any help. Not that I know much, but I do know the guys to talk with.

If you plan on competing in this sport, PLEASE PLEASE do not listen to those that say any gun will do, or how about a pump. The one thing I will guarantee you is that those who were winning the bling today DID NOT have a pump. These guns are specially stocked so that hitting clays is easier.(YEAH RIGHT) Your Grampas wing master will not do. This sport is way to specialized to just ask anyone. You need the proper info

But if you want to just go shoot every now and then take whatever you got and have fun. Anytime something goes BANG, its a great time.

Jamie

BTW Jester, I joined and didnt have a Shotgun. Calgary was good enough to lend me a gun for the first little while, then I got hooked, bought the wrong gun (for trap), got really hooked and bought a gun that will do for now.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 AM

A person can STILL win the Nat's with an 870 Wingmaster , 1100, or a model 12
Any of these guns will do you fine.

Many people like the BPS as well, but I am not a fan of that type of pump action.

You do not need a $2,000+ O/U to compete in trap.....
Cat
Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 AM

Default Perazzi ... only way to go

Perazzi , ( spelling might be iffy ) single barrel , is the only way to go .

My hunting partner and his son have a few of them , and swear by them .

They have both placed at the Grand , the son is two tmes world champion and they wont shoot anything else ..

So Perazzi must be the ticket, I have noticed that WSS doesnt have any on the rack so they must be hard to come by.

Just FYI , I have a friend with a new ( 100 rnds maybe )

Super Black Eagle 2 Came he wants to sell PM me if interested ...
Old 07-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Banned

The best shooter I know uses a Perazzi single barrell with shock absorbers in the stock, adjustable comb and a release trigger. Must be the best gun. $16,000 should get you set up with one.

I like my BPS because it has bottom eject so I don't smack the guy beside me with my hulls and it has the single shell feed selector so I don't have to cycle the shell from the magazine everytime. It has hit a couple of 25's, but never a straight 50 and a 94 is the best I have ever run. I am a B/C class shooter.

If I wanted to be competitive in trap, instead of using it as a venue to garner more practice with my field gun, I would be buying some form of trap gun in a double barrel configuration (so I wouldn't need extra expense in another gun/set of barrells to shoot doubles). Once you get accustomed to them they will shave a couple of points from your score. If singles is your only interest the Browning BT-99 is a pretty popular item at the small club I sometimes shoot at.

Last edited by Vindalbakken; 07-07-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

Yes those Perrazis are nice guns. And you can spend a fortune on them. Also very tough to find "off the shelf" I would love to be in a financial postion one day that would allow me to go and pick my own up at the factory.

Vin mentioned that a person has the ability to pick up one or 2 clays/round by useing the proper equipment. I agrree 100%. From what I hear about the shoot here in Calgary was that Bob G and Allan Day both ran 100/100 and decided to have it carry over to the doubles part of the shoot. They both ran 100/100 in doubles. It was decided on a coin flip. These guys just dont miss.
Both of them shoot high end guns and high end shells.

Cat if you were starting from scratch would you go out and buy a pump for trap?

Jamie
Old 07-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

Proper equipment is nice, but I have a feeling that if you gave Allen Day your grandad's shot out 870 with a bent barrell, let him shoot a couple of rounds with it first, he would spank both yours and mine.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

My introduction to Trap shooting at the local trap club was when I went to support them in the first annual Turkey Shoot. They were shooting warm up rounds and I shot a round of 10 to find out how the system worked shooting over a machine - having never done it before. I hit 10/10. Bad deal. When they were taking money the club president was "seeding" shooters and since the only record they had for me was a 10/10 that morning I got to donate all my money that day. In the first money round I did very well, hitting 9/10. I was the only one in the squad that dropped a clay. The other four advanced to the shootoff. Two fellows were there that absolutely didn't miss. At one point in the day they were standing side by side in the back of a pickup truck some 40 yards back of the trap house trading shots to settle a shoot off for another frozen turkey.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Proper equipment is nice, but I have a feeling that if you gave Allen Day your grandad's shot out 870 with a bent barrell, let him shoot a couple of rounds with it first, he would spank both yours and mine.
BS.. I would take him on and beat him like a rented mule...

Providing I could Blindfold him and tie one of his arms behind his back.
Crap that guy can shoot. I would have loved to see him and Bob duke it out till the end. But I dont think they had enough shells at the club or daylight.

To bad I missed that shoot. My competitions are going to be way down this year. BUT I still have to get in my targets. The Canadian Championships are being hosted next summer here in Calgary. I set a goal to win them in the "B" class. If you cant say it, you cant do it!!!

Jamie
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Perazzi , ( spelling might be iffy ) single barrel , is the only way to go .
Perazzi are high end competition guns, and very expensive. There are many good competition guns on the market these days, and Perazzi is just one of them.

As far as being the only way to go, single barrel trap guns are presently very popular in US trapshooting, but that doesn't mean "it's the only way to go", nor does it mean they are the best- it just means that right now they are very popular. I prefer double barreled guns over singles, because I don't have to change guns (and point of impact) to shoot doubles. I would strongly recommend AGAINST any beginner even thinking of a single barreled gun, as a first gun.

Autos have many inherent advantages for the beginner, and serious shooter, including ease of stock adjustment and point of impact, LOW RECOIL, and the ability to participate in all games with a single gun. Good ones are easy to maintain and are not overly expensive.

Lastly, if you are considering an auto, don't look any further than a Beretta, they ARE the best and there are many models suitable for your intended purpose. There isn't enough space here to list the advantages of a Beretta over EVERY other auto made today, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:31 PM

Default tRAP gUN

ABDUKNUT

Thanks for all the info I have pretty much made up my mind to go with the semi thanks to your last message it made my decision easier! Thanks to everyone for all your advice and input.

CHEERS
Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM

well find a gun that fits you right and shoot it and dont change
Old 07-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Default Best O de Best

I wasnt insinuating that I thought perazzis were the best
I was saying though somewhat fatiously that people
who were in the upper end of shotgunning felt obviously
that perazzis were the gun of choice .

EVERYBODY ON GODS GREEN EARTH KNOWS THAT THE

GREATEST SHOTGUN EVER MADE , THE #1 CHOICE OF ALL WATERFOWLERS . THE GUN BY WHICH ALL OTHERS ARE MEASURED

IS THE ; COME ON YOU CAN GUESS. THATS RIGHT ...

THE ONE , THE ONLY " WINCHESTER 101 '

Thank you thank you Thank you
Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 PM

"Best" is sometimes, a matter of opinion. Check out this link.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...KPi9CPDw&hl=en
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Banned

Hold the Visa card there for second Fug, AHEIA has plenty of guns to try out for FREE!! Find what works for you, talk to the guys out at the club, many will let you shoot their personal guns.
Recoil is NOT a issue with trap (For most), you shoot such low power shells that its not a factor, especialy when most trap guns are heavy to begin with.
Like I said such a investment should not be soley decided based on the observations of those on a hunting board.

If you need more info I would check out Trap Shooters.com.
but AHEIA is your best bet.

But like I said if your not in it to compete then buy whatever catches your eye.

Jamie
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

Cat if you were starting from scratch would you go out and buy a pump for trap?

Jamie
Without hesitation, I would go for an 870!
if semi, 1100 .

The 870 my older brother built from parts more than 40 years ago ( frankingun
will still clean 100 birds, and that was proven a few years back - however, like Allan day, the man behind the gun is an awesome man with a shooting iron of any kind.....

Cat
Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 PM

Default Perazzi wins

Just talking to my bud in Mb. Son won the canadian doubles championship

in Hamilton Ont . A week or so ago . Hes going to be shooting a Benelli M2

for the 08 waterfowl season . They will be staying at the lodge here

for the 09 canadian ,maybe I should put a trap house up

in the backyard . you know for limbering up.. I think the neighbours

house is about 150 yds out .. should be OK
Old 07-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Without hesitation, I would go for an 870!
if semi, 1100 .

The 870 my older brother built from parts more than 40 years ago ( frankingun
will still clean 100 birds, and that was proven a few years back - however, like Allan day, the man behind the gun is an awesome man with a shooting iron of any kind.....

Cat
Even if you thought you might shoot Doubles?

Jamie
Old 07-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Tiger Woods uses an 8.5 degree, 45" Nike Sasquatch 460 Driver.

Does that mean if I buy one I can golf as good as him?

No.

Is it the best club for me? Likely not.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post

I am sure you can find more than one golf shop that will sell you one on that notion.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post

No.

Is it the best club for me? Likely not.

Well I happen to aggree that spending $$$ will not get you any where.
But dont go buy a baseball ball bat when your looking for golf clubs.

Once you decide to take this sport some what serrious, then you need the proper equipment.
AB.. Have you ever shot registered trap?

Jamie
Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Even if you thought you might shoot Doubles?

Jamie
Doubles was not in the original equation, was it?
no, not a pump for trp doubles, but I do fine with my M12 or the kid's 870 in skeet.
However , if I were competing in trap OR skeet, I would have to use a semi, as that would be too many birds for my injured rotator to handle, so an 1100 would be that one I would go with.

Cat
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM

I have to jump in. I myself have shot many doubles with an 870. When our club first got really going, most of the shooters were using a pump of some kind. Since that was what we were using, we got quite good cycling the guns. In the hands of a practiced shooter, a pump can be shot just as quick, if not quicker, than a semi. That being said, it does not mean that a double is for everyone.

I would recommend against buying any top end trap gun as a starter. They are a serious investment and are better suited to someone that has made a serious commitment to the sport.

Buying a less expensive gun and then spending the difference to buy shells and practice will do more to making a better shooter than simply buying a high end trap gun. IMHO.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 PM

Ok so I what do you guys think of the new Mossberg Over/Under made in Turkey? Seem very reasonable price wise?