Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM

Default Stillwater Pike around Edmonton?

Just watched the episode of "The New Flyfisher: Pike on Western Lakes" and I want to try flyfishing for some pike around town.

Was thinking the NSR might be a bit too muddy for flies yet and am trying to search for a lake around Edmonton where I could give it a shot at. Will be fishing in waders so I'm trying to find some shore access.

Been searching the net for info, but having difficulty making my plan of attack. Was thinking Jackfish Lake, but I hear it's mostly private access. Wab looks kind of intimidating for shore fishing on google map.

I'm ok with small pikes, I just want to catch at least one and put it back. Not scared of a small hike either. Any advice is surely appreciated.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 PM

You could try Wabamun off the canels. waders would get you out a bit further and you could do well
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
You could try Wabamun off the canels. waders would get you out a bit further and you could do well
Are the canals on the South Side of the lake by RR 44A?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Could also try under the train bridge close to the Prov Park. I've done well there in the past although nothing close to trophies in that spot.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishlessFool View Post
Are the canals on the South Side of the lake by RR 44A?
They're on the north side of the lake just west of town. Look on google. They aren't in use anymore by the power plant but are still there.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll be checking those spots out Sat morning, weather permitting.

I need to work on some pike flies now. I've been thinking some large bow river buggers with the spun hair heads would be good for pike. Looks like they would push a lot of water.

On a side note, has anybody tried tying little bead rattles into flies for pike? I seen the Fishing Hole has little glass tube rattles, or alternatively I seen at "Baltic Pike Flies" the guy ties a few beads on a wire underneath the fly with the hook turned up.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishlessFool View Post
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll be checking those spots out Sat morning, weather permitting.

I need to work on some pike flies now. I've been thinking some large bow river buggers with the spun hair heads would be good for pike. Looks like they would push a lot of water.

On a side note, has anybody tried tying little bead rattles into flies for pike? I seen the Fishing Hole has little glass tube rattles, or alternatively I seen at "Baltic Pike Flies" the guy ties a few beads on a wire underneath the fly with the hook turned up.
Anything big will get you into Pike. My favorites are popsicle leeches and half and half's (1/2 deceiver and 1/2 clouser).

Here's an article that you may find useful. Got Pike?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:22 PM

I'll definately try that Half and Half in some different variations. Maybe mix a few up with some zonker strips and rubber legs. We'll see if I dont end up making a mess of things.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 06-18-2012, 03:35 PM

It's a blast I was catching them on my 5wt on saturday.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."