Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Edmonton area(1.5hr) pike/perch

Anybody know a productive pike and perch lake near Edmonton? Im looking for a smaller lake like Wizard or Elinor lake. Dosent need to be a trophy lake but would like numbers.

PS, Thank you to Steve for letting a complete stranger rent your boat. Thats how fishing brings people together.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM

Cool

Are you looking to keep fish or C&R?? Wabuman is a great catch and release lake. Jackfish Lake has decent pike fishing but parking is 20 bucks. Mink Lake and Mayatan both have pike and perch, not sure how the numbers are. There's also Chip Lake and Long Lake. Tons of options. Depends what your looking for.

Boat fishing or shore fishing? Decent size lake with nice water that you can swim in? or a little slough off the beaten path??
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Hasse
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 PM

Hasse is winterkilled
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
Hasse is winterkilled
oh completely?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 PM

thats what I heard. I went there a few times and nothing. Last year i would always catch perch off the dock.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
oh completely?
I keep hearing second or third hand info that says that it totally died, but I've also heard a couple guys say there's still trout in there

Don't know anybody firsthand who has gone there this year so can't confirm a damn thing.

Full winterkill is the best possibility for that lake, so it can maybe be restocked with trout - hopefully before the bucket brigade toss perch in there again!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 PM

I went there lots last year and never seen or heard of anyone catching rainbows. I'm sure there might be a few perch left but not many. And right now there is ecoli in the water. Not a safe lake
Old 09-08-2011, 10:57 AM

coal lake. big perch and plenty of pike in there.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 09-08-2011, 01:06 PM

I wrote to SRD about the winterkill and they responded.

Synopsis:
===================
They acknowledge winterkill occurred in spring 2011 but the extent is not known. Staff tested the lake in July 2011 and captured only a few brook stickleback. Captured no pike or perch. Will survey again in 2012 before resuming any stocking program. Will monitor dissolved oxygen levels during winter of 2011-2012. If additional research indicates a complete winterkill occurred they would likely consult with the public before resuming any stocking program (public forum).
===================

So, they did discover a few tiny fish. No pike, perch [or trout] but some sticklebacks.

In this light I suspect chances are reasonable a few tiny perch the size of sticklebacks did too. Less likely that tiny pike did - because they are bigger and need more oxygen - but also possible.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
coal lake. big perch and plenty of pike in there.
x2, lots of pike. Took the goddaughter out for her first time ever fishing and she loved it. Lots of hammerhandles to keep her busy and everyonce and while you lay into a big one.