Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Default Alberta fishing/camping destination?

Hi,

I have a truck camper and would like to take one of my kids (an adult) into the back country for a few days camping and fishing. Looking for somewhere pretty out of the way. Would like to do some trout fishing, just on foot, but we are not avid fishermen.

Can anyone suggest a good spot? Thank you. Oh yeah, we will be starting from Calgary so something in the southwest quadrant of the province would be best.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

The blackstone area up by Nordegg is very nice. Alternatively I understand there are some nice places to go in the Crowsnest, but I'm not as familiar of that area.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Thanks, I'll learn more about the area.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

I would Suggest "blood indian reservoir" Maybe alittle bit of a drive but anywhere on the south part is great for fishing.

Remember to bring CORN and WORMS.

You can wake up and throw a line in right at the water.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 PM

I know after Beaver Mines camp and before Castle Ski hills, there are lots of backroad and off road camping and you can quad at anytime.
Its west of Pincher Creek I think the # 3. And the lake's there for fishing too, in Beaver Mines campground
Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 PM

blood indian reservoir looks like a neat spot. Does it fill up on weekends? Perhaps not at this time of year?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:35 PM

sorry. follow hwy 22 from the city..
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM

Look at the campgrounds south along FTR. Racehorse, dutch, oldman, cataract etc. There's also lumbreck. All within a couple hours south of Calgary. Nice campgrounds and good options for trout fishing around there.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy37 View Post
Look at the campgrounds south along FTR. Racehorse, dutch, oldman, cataract etc.
This.

South on Hwy 22 to Longview, west on hwy 40 to Highwood Junction, turn south at the junction onto the Forestry Truck Road and have at 'er. Etherington Creek, Cataract Creek, Livingston Falls, Oldman, Dutch Creek, Racehorse Creek (if you hit Coleman, you've gone too far, lol)- all campgrounds along the trunk road, with trout fishing not too far from any. There's also plenty of spots along this road, and along the rivers, to just turn off and set up camp, away from the campgrounds if you prefer that option.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
This.

South on Hwy 22 to Longview, west on hwy 40 to Highwood Junction, turn south at the junction onto the Forestry Truck Road and have at 'er. Etherington Creek, Cataract Creek, Livingston Falls, Oldman, Dutch Creek, Racehorse Creek (if you hit Coleman, you've gone too far, lol)- all campgrounds along the trunk road, with trout fishing not too far from any. There's also plenty of spots along this road, and along the rivers, to just turn off and set up camp, away from the campgrounds if you prefer that option.
My choice as well. You could spend a month fishing all the streams along that road.
For spin fishing, try the Oldman. For fly fishing, the Livingstone or Dutch creek.